Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Setup Changes Do Happen
I think there's an important distinction between exploring new Kingdoms and rules and strategies (all good), and "change and mystery" for its own sake (not necessarily good).

Even in the most creative and "mystery" based type of fantasy game, role-playing games, there is a consistent rule set, and when a fighter swings a sword or a wizard casts a spell, the dynamics and expected results (or probabilities) are known by the player.

When the rules are changed, those changes are publicized and disseminated in things like errata, patch notes, or even something like a GM's house rules. House rules are a GM's prerogative, but you'd better believe that without some communication of that, players are going to be perplexed (and not in a good way) when their spells aren't working as expected.

All that to say, I'm excited by the prospects of the Choosing, but I'm also motivated to find out as much as possible about every new Kingdom, and explore and ponder the implications of new rules and strategies, as quickly as possible, so that I can play competently and well.

And I would also posit that this has always been the case with the Alamaze community, even to the earliest Oracle articles that revealed the 320/330 formulae, and even to this day with the release of Frost Lord's incredibly helpful calculators.

I'm also not a big fan of secret tweaks and changes, even minor ones, simply because they result in a lack of stability with respect to expectations and an inability to rely on prior learning and experience.

I would even argue that this exact concept is why it has become standard for game companies to release patch notes for updates, so that people can understand what has changed as they apply the patch. This is just good communication and messaging, and not "gameplay by spreadsheet" or whatever.

I understand this is Rick's company and he can run it however he wants, but I believe the viewpoint I'm expressing is a common one, even a majority one, and my hope is that it will be taken into consideration.

Messages In This Thread
Setup Changes Do Happen - by Ry Vor - 04-08-2015, 10:35 PM
RE: Setup Changes Do Happen - by Frost Lord - 04-08-2015, 10:41 PM
RE: Setup Changes Do Happen - by HeadHoncho - 04-09-2015, 12:09 AM
RE: Setup Changes Do Happen - by Diamond Cutter - 04-10-2015, 04:11 AM
RE: Setup Changes Do Happen - by Jumpingfist - 04-11-2015, 12:39 PM
RE: Setup Changes Do Happen - by Hawk_ - 04-11-2015, 01:33 PM
RE: Setup Changes Do Happen - by Ry Vor - 04-11-2015, 03:58 PM
RE: Setup Changes Do Happen - by Diamond Cutter - 04-11-2015, 09:28 PM
RE: Setup Changes Do Happen - by Lord Diamond - 04-11-2015, 11:03 PM
RE: Setup Changes Do Happen - by HeadHoncho - 04-12-2015, 12:50 PM
RE: Setup Changes Do Happen - by Ry Vor - 04-12-2015, 11:07 PM