Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gameplay migration issues to new XML platform
This is to provide players a chance to respond, hopefully constructively to the post on Game Processing News of today which I will copy here:

We recognize the migration, which ultimately will be fantastic, has had some bumps.  And we aren't quite done with getting all the coding from the Clipper platform, exactly as it was, in place for the XML platform.  And I probably underestimated the reaction of some players to some of the differences while in this process.
Cipher and Uncle Mike worked probably 20 hours over the weekend (they are not employees), and to midnight last night, and started early this morning, and we feel there are still issues to resolve and I don't want to have any errors, perceived or otherwise, continue if we can take a breath, stop addressing support issues for a few days, and focus on getting this complete.

So I've determined we will not process games (Warlords and Titan except Warlords #28 which will go forward) Wednesday, potentially not Friday, and I don't know if we will be ready to pick up on Monday or not.  If it does take through Monday or longer, we will extend the subscription renewal dates for the lost time.  If we are ready by Monday, we will probably accelerate the due date to make up for the short delay.  And I will not be pushing for resuming processing if we don't feel confident to not lose the revenue.

If you do have a specific example of something you strongly believe is an error in the code, send the specifics to support - that will be a great help while we dive into this over the next few days.

Thanks for the patience, we hope you appreciate all we have accomplished in the last two years (where to start?), and that all players and members of the community will give us a few days to make it better than ever.

Software transition is usually a nightmare. And I've even heard 'smooth' transitions compared to a duck in a pond: smooth and graceful on the surface, but paddling like hell underneath. I was actually pretty surprised that you were able to transition so many games in such a short time without the forum exploding in rage. (maybe it did and I just wasn't looking in the right places?)

I'm not a veteran player, so I am not likely to notice subtle (or even not-so-subtle) changes to the way things work. But from my perspective, things seem fine. Truth to be told, I don't think I've ever seen an 'upgrade' that didn't result in a loss of some favored functionality. I bitch and complain along with everyone else for a while. But eventually, I embrace all the cool new things and get over what I lost (usually Smile ).

So, at the risk of sounding like a brown-noser, I just want to remind everyone that what you are doing is HARD and that we just need to buckle down, provide constructive feedback, and let Rick, Cipher, and Uncle Mike work their magic. (Ouch, 'risk' was too gentle a word. That definitely sounds like I'm brown nosing. Oh well). Smile
bananas (on the forums)
Arch-Mage of Entropy (in games)
             - Wanderer of Alamaze

Player nominated - 
157 - TR : Chancellor 
161 - AN : Chancellor & Iron Willed

I'm no brown noser like Bananas (j/k). I can wait a few extra days if it means getting it done right. No worries.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

I certainly don't object to a pause. Better to get it right. Thanks for all you guys do. I really do feel that I get great value for my money.

I think best to just take a full week and start back again on Wednesday. That way all turns will be due on there same days. I am happy to wait to get things rolling smoothly again.

Agree with JF, take the time you need, all my best!