Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do You Like to be Teased?
(05-15-2015, 09:17 PM)Lord Diamond Wrote: It doesn't have to be m/f, but I would like something to make each character more unique, valuable, and beloved.

That's probably a 3rd Cycle thing, where I hope to introduce new character qualities and types.  So instead of military leaders being automatically qualified for investigating sightings, there will be a quality of Hero, which might be a leader, but also might be a noble or wizard. 

We're making steps toward 3rd Cycle in The Choosing.  It mainly focuses on the kingdoms but there will be some game mechanic changes, more of those in 3rd Cycle.  This is a bridge.  So we might have a couple PC improvements (for example, possibly a Temple in order to hire a High Priestess), but there would be more in 3rd Cycle.

What I'd really like to do in 3rd Cycle is have medals and titles for in-game events for the characters and brigades, and possibly a record for each.  If we did that, we might also have a character's achievements (winning a decisive battle against an enemy army group) actually have their action cause an increase in kingdom influence, and the loss of the character might diminish influence, and if we have something like that, that's probably when we would have a Resurrection spell.

But right now, its about The Choosing.  And there is plenty there.
Naval Changes for The Choosing.

Trade Mission.  Fleets can be sent on a Trade Mission to trade local luxuries and bring in 1000 gold per fleet for the mission, per turn used – new order number #711.  The Trade Mission must begin with a controlled coastal or sea area PC, and name 5 contiguous (and unique) sea areas.  It can be interdicted by a Sea Patrol in those areas.

Sea Patrol
has a finite range within the sea.  The default is 8 contiguous areas (seas average about 27 areas).  A Sea Patrol would have the chance to interdict any group that has sea movement through any of those areas.  Two kingdoms both on sea patrol involving any same area have a 90% chance of engaging in a sea battle.  Some kingdoms may have a different range for sea patrol.

Elite Ship
.  A kingdom may construct one elite, custom cutter (ship) to transport its patrols in that sea.  The ship is of new technology and so, expensive.  Such equipped patrols will not be interdicted by sea patrol.  They evade combat if their turn is ended in the same area as an attacking navy.  The elite ship can be sabotaged, however, in which case its protections cease (and it is destroyed) until a replacement elite ship in that sea is built.  Costs 6k, one per sea max per kingdom.  Players are asked to name their elite ship when constructing it.
Order #749.
Column A:  Sea Abbreviation (D, F, M or T)
Column B:  Location of kingdom owned PC within 1 area of Sea square
Column C:  Area adjacent to PC in Col B that is in the Sea in Col A
Column D:  Name the ship (up to 20 characters)
Resource Cost:  6000 gold
The Choosing

Some of the Miscellaneous

Fool.  Envoy becomes Fool and loss of Fool is – 0.3 influence. Captured or kidnapped Fools switch to kingdom capturing and provide +0.3 influence.  Fools cannot relocate, must always be at capital, and can undertake only one order: for 3000 gold, the Fool (through his acclaim as a performer and lifting the spirits of the Ruler) has a 25% chance of raising Influence by 0.3 with new order #482.  They cannot be titled.

Can Hire Adepts or Captains.  With group at capital and available slot.  Captains cost 10k and .1 influence.  Adepts cost 20k, cannot be hired before turn 10, cost 0.5 influence, and can only be hired if the kingdom has no more than 4 wizards including adepts. 

Succession.  When a Ruler is killed or captured, the succession that presently happens immediately if in the conquest of a capital, where the highest noble is relocated to the capital, now waits in abeyance until the end of king orders, so program order (not a player order, like kingdom production, etc) #499.  (Meaning the to-be Regent can execute any assigned mission before being summoned to the capital.) If a Prince or Princess succeeds, the kingdom’s influence loss is only 1.0 point.  If a Duke succeeds, the loss is 3.0 but not below 9.0, if Count, the loss is 4.0 but not before 9.0, if Baron, 5.0 but not below 9.0, Governor, 6.0 but not below 9.0.

Default Range for Agents and Emissaries is 8.  There can be kingdom traits that alter this and potentially artifacts for an individual emissary that can alter the default range. With going from 15 to 12 kingdoms per game, and reducing the range of emissaries and agents, we effectively make the existing map about one third larger.

These are all being mulled over, so feel free to comment.
Will the 482 spell be removed for the fool order?

Can we hire more fools?
(05-17-2015, 07:16 PM)Jumpingfist Wrote: Will the 482 spell be removed for the fool order?  

Can we hire more fools?

We can suffer only one fool.  Cool  

Does that request mean you think the Fool is pretty useful?  The Envoy wasn't of much use and was a holdover from when we had emissaries deliver messages via 341-349.
We'll check for the new order numbers to make sure they are not spells or special abilities before implementing.  I'm just sharing some not-quite-finished stuff.
(05-17-2015, 02:15 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: Naval Changes for The Choosing.

Trade Mission.  Fleets can be sent on a Trade Mission to trade local luxuries and bring in 1000 gold per fleet for the mission, per turn used – new order number #711.  The Trade Mission must begin with a controlled coastal or sea area PC, and name 5 contiguous (and unique) sea areas.  It can be interdicted by a Sea Patrol in those areas.

Sea Patrol
has a finite range within the sea.  The default is 8 contiguous areas (seas average about 27 areas).  A Sea Patrol would have the chance to interdict any group that has sea movement through any of those areas.  Two kingdoms both on sea patrol involving any same area have a 90% chance of engaging in a sea battle.  Some kingdoms may have a different range for sea patrol.

Elite Ship
.  A kingdom may construct one elite, custom cutter (ship) to transport its patrols in that sea.  The ship is of new technology and so, expensive.  Such equipped patrols will not be interdicted by sea patrol.  They evade combat if their turn is ended in the same area as an attacking navy.  The elite ship can be sabotaged, however, in which case its protections cease (and it is destroyed) until a replacement elite ship in that sea is built.  Costs 6k, one per sea max per kingdom.  Players are asked to name their elite ship when constructing it.
Order #749.
Column A:  Sea Abbreviation (D, F, M or T)
Column B:  Location of kingdom owned PC within 1 area of Sea square
Column C:  Area adjacent to PC in Col B that is in the Sea in Col A
Column D:  Name the ship (up to 20 characters)
Resource Cost:  6000 gold

I love all three of these orders. The first two make navies much more useful and oikely to be used. Elite Ship is cool and will mke me feel a lot better about searching those water based unusual sightings! 
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

(05-17-2015, 07:04 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: The Choosing

Some of the Miscellaneous

Fool.  Envoy becomes Fool and loss of Fool is – 0.3 influence. Captured or kidnapped Fools switch to kingdom capturing and provide +0.3 influence.  Fools cannot relocate, must always be at capital, and can undertake only one order: for 3000 gold, the Fool (through his acclaim as a performer and lifting the spirits of the Ruler) has a 25% chance of raising Influence by 0.3 with new order #482.  They cannot be titled.

Can Hire Adepts or Captains.  With group at capital and available slot.  Captains cost 10k and .1 influence.  Adepts cost 20k, cannot be hired before turn 10, cost 0.5 influence, and can only be hired if the kingdom has no more than 4 wizards including adepts. 

Succession.  When a Ruler is killed or captured, the succession that presently happens immediately if in the conquest of a capital, where the highest noble is relocated to the capital, now waits in abeyance until the end of king orders, so program order (not a player order, like kingdom production, etc) #499.  (Meaning the to-be Regent can execute any assigned mission before being summoned to the capital.)  If a Prince or Princess succeeds, the kingdom’s influence loss is only 1.0 point.  If a Duke succeeds, the loss is 3.0 but not below 9.0, if Count, the loss is 4.0 but not before 9.0, if Baron, 5.0 but not below 9.0, Governor, 6.0 but not below 9.0.

Default Range for Agents and Emissaries is 8.  There can be kingdom traits that alter this and potentially artifacts for an individual emissary that can alter the default range.  With going from 15 to 12 kingdoms per game, and reducing the range of emissaries and agents, we effectively make the existing map about one third larger.

These are all being mulled over, so feel free to comment.

I love all of these as well.

Fool - I can see setting up a standing order for this. I like it.

Hiring Adepts and Captains - Great idea. Losing all your wizards is sad and this will help alleviate that pain. With leaders being so much more important in the future, and with unusual sightings being so much deadlier, I like having this option.

Succession - the first part will take away a major frustration. The second part makes losing yoir king painful, but not a game ender.

Default Range of 8 - this does make the map larger, for all practical purposes. I will especially like being able to enhance and imrove this range. This opens up some interesting spell possibilities as well.

I can't wait. Nice stuff!
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

(05-17-2015, 07:20 PM)Ry Vor Wrote:
(05-17-2015, 07:16 PM)Jumpingfist Wrote: Will the 482 spell be removed for the fool order?  

Can we hire more fools?

Does that request mean you think the Fool is pretty useful?  The Envoy wasn't of much use and was a holdover from when we had emissaries deliver messages via 341-349.
We'll check for the new order numbers to make sure they are not spells or special abilities before implementing.  I'm just sharing some not-quite-finished stuff.
Yes thinking good bang for the buck. Also easy to have a standing order that uses 3k gold. 
40k gold over 13.3 turns on average for a point of influence. Not a bad standing order if you're on an upward expansion curve, probably wouldn't do it for a flat or declining situation... too many orders come after it in the sequence that might get impacted on those turns when you're really tight on gold.

All that said, I think it's a neat mechanic. Just not sure how often I'd use the 482 order at those numbers.
(05-17-2015, 08:38 PM)Jumpingfist Wrote:
(05-17-2015, 07:20 PM)Ry Vor Wrote:

Can we hire more fools?

Yes thinking good bang for the buck. Also easy to have a standing order that uses 3k gold. 

May give the expression "A Fool's Errand" a new meaning, if it means kidnapping a Fool.  Your agent advances, your enemy loses 0.3 Influence, you gain a Fool and 0.3 Influence.  We want to move more toward kidnapping and rescue over time from assassination and execution.