Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Admission: I am confused
It is important to set expectations. Good post from Rick in that regard, enjoying the new Alamaze and looking forward to the next incantation. I think it's been said before but recruit old players or new ones. If I have one complaint its that our community is very small and thus tuff, lol not a lot of duds I used to be able to count on in the 1990's in fact I might even be the dud.. Cheers
Lord Alz - "Jeff"
Arch Mage of the Ancient Ones

(03-11-2015, 11:16 PM)Lord Diamond Wrote: Rick, I hope that you didn't take anything I've typed as criticism of the game, Unclemike, Cipher, or yourself. I didn't complain about moving to the new platform; indeed, I welcome it whole heartedly. My confusion is caused by the fact that these beloved forums are riddled with inconsistencies, outdated rules, and confusing (to me) statements.

Unclemike has helped to clear this up, to a point. I am still not entirely certain as to some rules and commands, but will take Unclemike's determinations as gospel moving forward.

I am going to create a thread editable only by Unclemike so that he can post final rulings at his leisure. We'll have a place to go when in doubt.

Thanks,

I agree with Lord Diamond!

I am a loyal customer and love playing Alamaze, talking to Alamaze players, discussing potential Alamaze futures, griping about Alamaze players, thinking up different Alamaze strategies, etc...

Rick is going to be stuck with me for as long as he allows us to play Alamaze.  For better or worse . . . I am an enthusiastic Alamaze fan! I know I do not often enough thank Rick, Cipher, Unclemike, Lord Diamond, Frostlord, and others I am certain I am overlooking. All of the changes, whether I like them or dislike them, keep Alamaze exciting and I appreciate everyone's hard work.

Back in the 1990s I was a brand new player.  When Rick started offering Alamaze again I still had a lot to learn.  I still don't fully understand all the mechanics and nuances.  But I love experiencing it all.

THANKS FOR ALLOWING ME TO SHARE MY ALAMAZE ENTHUSIASM RICK.
Lord Thanatos

Thanks LT.  I have "known" you since the beginning of Fall of Rome in 2004.  Also true with LD.  I appreciate loyalty and integrity above all and so no matter how bad you (or some others I haven't named) might tick me off from time to time, it would never be enough to sever the relationship, although I have shown a couple other players the door.  We are family.  I know, and hear privately from some players I should be more customer centric, but again, I am not selling a Bentley, more like a Popsicle.  I don't want a lot of gripping over something that is $2 a turn, but also know there are "free" games out there.  (note to the aware:  nothing is "free" including public education.)  And I am not saying the players that are putting up with some confusion in this transition are doing that.  We have some forum readers doubtless thinking I am odd for not being more corporate: that the "customer is always right".  Thing is, I wouldn't be doing this, Alamaze and what might follow, to be corporate.  I had my corporate life.  Now I am trying to spend my time creating the best multi-player strategy game available anywhere, for those players that can tell the difference.  Its sort of like, can you tell the difference between an $80 bottle of wine from a $7 bottle?  If you can't, play Game of War or something like that.  Again, that is not aimed at anyone, on the contrary, the players that have been with me, whether from the advent of Alamaze in 1987, or Fall of Rome in 2004, or the Resurgence in 2013, know by now I appreciate their passion, and try to reply, and more importantly, act, in kind.

I don't drink wine often, but when I do I prefer that $7 bottle from Wal-Mart!

The point of this thread was not to complain, but to start to unravel some of that confusion. Developements were happening too fast for some of us to keep up with. That's not a bad thing at all, but it does mean that some effort is required to keep it all straight. It blows my mind just how quickly Unclemike was able to make all the contributions he did.

You an I have spent a noticible fraction of the last 10-11 years ticked off at one another, but we are still here. It's hard to believe that we have never even had a phone conversation, but I do consider you a friend even when I am at my most annoyed. A few thousand forum posts and emails have to mean something!

If Alamaze is a popsicle, it is that red, white, and blue rocket pop that the i e cream man in Miami used to have when I was a kid. They try to sell a version today, but it just isn't the same.

If they did bring that exact version back, they would probably want to charge $7.50 a piece. Wink
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

(03-15-2015, 02:24 AM)Lord Diamond Wrote: I don't drink wine often, but when I do I prefer that $7 bottle from Wal-Mart!

The point of this thread was not to complain, but to start to unravel some of that confusion. Developements were happening too fast for some of us to keep up with. That's not a bad thing at all, but it does mean that some effort is required to keep it all straight. It blows my mind just how quickly Unclemike was able to make all the contributions he did.

You an I have spent a noticible fraction of the last 10-11 years ticked off at one another, but we are still here. It's hard to believe that we have never even had a phone conversation, but I do consider you a friend even when I am at my most annoyed. A few thousand forum posts and emails have to mean something!

If Alamaze is a popsicle, it is that red, white, and blue rocket pop that the i e cream man in Miami used to have when I was a kid. They try to sell a version today, but it just isn't the same.

If they did bring that exact version back, they would probably want to charge $7.50 a piece. Wink
Smile Tongue

I still remember the old 3x5 card days, and was thrilled to learn Alamaze had relaunched. Would still love to find some old friends like Danny O and some others. And despite the occasional break, I'm here and committed to Alamaze and this community.

And even though I've had my own disagreements with Rick and others, I like to think that throughout it all, we are at least able to understand each other a bit better. And my appreciation and respect for all involved have only grown, especially for Rick, Cipher, and UncleMike.

Many thanks for providing this excellent game which I've loved for decades.

(03-15-2015, 02:24 AM)Lord Diamond Wrote: If Alamaze is a popsicle, it is that red, white, and blue rocket pop that the i e cream man in Miami used to have when I was a kid. They try to sell a version today, but it just isn't the same.

I think that was sold as 'Bomb pop' from the ice cream truck that visited our neighborhood.  Do you think the flavor has really changed or is it more likely your taste buds?  I'm asking, I don't know.
-This Khal Drogo, it's said he has a hundred thousand men in his horde

(03-16-2015, 02:17 AM)Drogo Wrote:
(03-15-2015, 02:24 AM)Lord Diamond Wrote: If Alamaze is a popsicle, it is that red, white, and blue rocket pop that the i e cream man in Miami used to have when I was a kid. They try to sell a version today, but it just isn't the same.

I think that was sold as 'Bomb pop' from the ice cream truck that visited our neighborhood.  Do you think the flavor has really changed or is it more likely your taste buds?  I'm asking, I don't know.

How to know? I think it has changed and has gotten smaller. Or maybe I am just not a kid running around in the Miami summer anymore and can't appreciate it like I could then. 

It still works as an analogy for the old 90's Alamaze and why it needed to evolve with the player base. When I first started Alamaze it was with RSI and I was an U.S. Air Force airman living in northern Japan. I had a computer, but its value as an entertainment device was limited and my tv had two English channels (one being BBC India, so..). Alamaze was a wonderful, if expensive, distraction. The turn around was two weeks and I lived for those turns. I had 1-2 days each turn before I had to mail my orders in and then I crossed my fingers that they would arrive in time. Mail there was weird, as it could be posted 24 hours a day as planes came in. There were times when I woukd slog through jeavy snows 4-6 times a day to check my box at the post office; one day, I received turns four times in a single day, which only enhanced my obsession! "What if my turn is sitting there right NOW??"

What I needed then is very different thatpn what I need today.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

http://www.retroland.com/bomb-pops/
-This Khal Drogo, it's said he has a hundred thousand men in his horde