Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KINGDOMS
I have thought of the Centaurs more as a 565 for the Druid.
Centaurs would make a cool race of their own. Druids could 565 faeries, woodland creatures, satyrs, treants, etc..
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

Well, I am having problems just keeping the Red and Black dragons as kingdoms.  If someone really wanted to give a critical review of Alamaze, that's probably where I would go.  Red Dragon agents?  Emissaries?  So the Centaurs kind of compound this problem.

What I would like to do is move dragons from a kingdom to very, very special characters in 3rd Cycle.  They would still be spectacular in combat, but as individuals.  I guess Smaug is the default example. 
I really like the idea of moving dragons to special encounters/characters/troops.

Maybe consider adding back Paladin, Westmen, Urik?

If you go new, maybe an evil Paladin offshoot; Healers; Psionics; Teleporters.
(03-15-2015, 07:49 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: Well, I am having problems just keeping the Red and Black dragons as kingdoms.  If someone really wanted to give a critical review of Alamaze, that's probably where I would go.  Red Dragon agents?  Emissaries?  So the Centaurs kind of compound this problem.

What I would like to do is move dragons from a kingdom to very, very special characters in 3rd Cycle.  They would still be spectacular in combat, but as individuals.  I guess Smaug is the default example. 

I see your point with the centaurs.

One of the coolest D&D campaigns had Halflings riding Centaurs into battle. I like Centaurs for them much better. 
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

Its been a bit strange since Mike has taken over running games.  That also as a note to some of you sending messages into support - I no longer run the games, or address issues in them, Mike does.  But I am making progress on The Choosing, its just taking longer than I expected.  We are still resolving some issues in the new platform, is one of my excuses. 

I am really particular about what goes into, or out of, Alamaze.  And we have had many times more Alamaze players than Fall of Rome, although there was a tremendous multiple of dollars spent on bringing Fall of Rome out.  Anyway, I guess its ego, but hopefully in a good way, I want whatever comes next for Alamaze and other games, to be better than what we already have in Alamaze.  So I am not that interested in getting something out quick.  Instead I want to feel it is better than what we have already put out.
I like the idea of dragons as specials. lots of possibilities with that. great powers for the groups or kingdoms that have one. with enough types of dragons one could even have special games where each kingdom has a dragon to start. or a race to find them limiting one per group. the kingdom to get 4 dragons would be feared.

I do look forward to The Choosing.
Now that migration week is over and games are running more smoothly, I have some time to share my opinion on this topic.

I like many of the changes coming up in the near future especially the additional kingdom choices and TAC selections that allow greater player control over combat but I'm a bit reserved on the idea of getting rid of the dragon kingdoms themselves.

Playing the Red Dragon or Black Dragon kingdom is a bit different than the others in many ways. I, for one, love the idea that I can freely roam across the realm ignoring the terrain and the seas with my flying dragons. Other kingdoms have to arrange orders with their fleets to cross the seas with their limited movements but as the dragon, I can fly over the seas at whim.

In combat, few are willing to oppose the dragons due to their tough hide and sharp talons. Not many are willing to go toe-to-toe against the Red by themselves and that's how it should be, all should fear the dragon kingdoms. Also, battle reports are in the process of being changed to show the fierce might and power of the dragon forces. Instead of archers, we'll see fire breathing dragons. Instead of infantry, we'll see sharp talons ripping flesh from bone. Dragon kingdoms will have more interesting battle reports than the norm and will be more fun to play.

In D&D, there was a popular campaign setting called Dragonlance. It was a rich fantasy realm with many adventure modules (more than Greyhawk I believe), #1 best selling novels by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, and other materials making it one of the most popular fantasy settings of all time. I would think we would find more players that are willing to join the game if you kept the dragon kingdoms around than otherwise.

Besides, if you drop the dragon kingdoms from the game, it may reduce the kingdoms available to just being all humanoid in kind. Wasn't that the problem of Fall of Rome, that all of the kingdoms were too similar in nature?

As for the issue of having agents and emissaries for dragon (or centaur) kingdoms, the problem could be resolved by having human slaves or thralls doing the bidding of their dragon rulers. I think in the Dragonlance saga, the Evil dragons created a breed of draconians that were human-sized underlings that did their bidding. Anyhow, there are creative ways of getting around the idea of dragon kingdoms using humanoid emissaries.

So instead of getting rid of the dragon kingdoms, I would rather see the concept developed further with additional dragon kingdoms being available to choose from. In Dragonlance, I think there were five Evil dragon types (red, black, white, green, and another) going against the Good dragon types (gold, silver, bronze, and others). I would like to play in a game with just dragon kingdoms going against each other with perhaps the Paladin in the middle armed with Dragonlances (powerful artifacts) trying to establish order in the realm. That would be a cool game.

It may be too late to try to change your mind on all of this but I would like to see the majestic dragons as ruling kingdoms that freely roam the realm and not be reduced into becoming a pet from an encounter.
Red, Black, White, Green, and Blue vs Gold, Silver, Bronze, Brass and Copper.

Draconians were created from the hostage eggs of the good dragons.

I would love to see a new game similar to Alamaze, or on the same engine, with a dragon focus. All dragon kingdoms, each with it's own flavor. That would be a big hit, I think.
 Lord Diamond

I want  to run Tiamat in the new dragon format.  If I can not play that, how about  undead dragon empire.   A dragon vs human empires would be fun if Paladins, Rangers, Barbarians, Nomads, and Westmen are the defenders of man.