Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What You Want the Most
While we wrap up 2nd Cycle, and continue improving our process, appearance, variants, we do want all players to be happy with how we finished improving Alamaze from where you saw it in around 2011.  Yes, we really had more than 100 changes, most not initially embraced, but we think we got it right, from toning down the Giants, to amping up the Elves and Dwarves, to you have to have a seaport to build fleets, that even the Witchlord might not knock out a kingdom with an invisible army group casting chaos.  We've moved from txt files to pdf, to soon html, from no graphics, to at least some graphics and color.  We reduced the price about 75%, we now run games and get them back to players the day they are due, we have started about one game a week, we have tried to support the hobby overall through mainly Suspense and Decision, and we remain open to game variants.

Now, we turn the page and it is somewhat open for some input, although I have the general direction, as to what our players really want in the next game.  So we are still talking Alamaze, 3rd Cycle, not yet Kingdoms of Arcania, but are there orders or spells or artifacts or game concepts that are what you are really looking for?

Here is an example.  In the next version, a Dragon (one dragon) is a brigade.  An Elven brigade might be about 300 Elves.  More unusual encounters that involve acquiring new characters. 
(01-26-2015, 05:58 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: While we wrap up 2nd Cycle, and continue improving our process, appearance, variants, we do want all players to be happy with how we finished improving Alamaze from where you saw it in around 2011.  Yes, we really had more than 100 changes, most not initially embraced, but we think we got it right, from toning down the Giants, to amping up the Elves and Dwarves, to you have to have a seaport to build fleets, that even the Witchlord might not knock out a kingdom with an invisible army group casting chaos.  We've moved from txt files to pdf, to soon html, from no graphics, to at least some graphics and color.  We reduced the price about 75%, we now run games and get them back to players the day they are due, we have started about one game a week, we have tried to support the hobby overall through mainly Suspense and Decision, and we remain open to game variants.

Now, we turn the page and it is somewhat open for some input, although I have the general direction, as to what our players really want in the next game.  So we are still talking Alamaze, 3rd Cycle, not yet Kingdoms of Arcania, but are there orders or spells or artifacts or game concepts that are what you are really looking for?

Here is an example.  In the next version, a Dragon (one dragon) is a brigade.  An Elven brigade might be about 300 Elves.  More unusual encounters that involve acquiring new characters. 

How will that work? Can you explain. Say you have 2 BL brigades (2 dragons)and attack a village, you will suffer some casualties at a minimum (even a farmer can get lucky with a spear), so will you lose at least a whole brigade (1 dragon) taking a village if you take any casualties at all, or will it be attrition or morale?  Just trying to find the purpose or reasoning behind this possible change.
The attrition of the dragon could represent its wounds.

From past hints, I bet these dragons will be one of a kind mounts or allies. Hopefully found in sightings or by completing quests.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

Just think whatever a Red Dragon brigade is worth today, would be a single dragon worth the same points.  (Cipher can tell you I wouldn't even restart Alamaze in 2013 when there were about 2000 dragons in a brigade.  So we reached a middle ground, and now we move to what it means to be a dragon.)

A brigade is eliminated when it suffers >60% casualties.  So a dragon that takes over 60% in a battle would be eliminated. 

Dragons are not intended to be kingdoms in the next game.  They would be special unusual encounters that provide lots of special abilities if loyal. 
My biggest wish is for Dusitopia to become a reality.

In addition, more 'unique' things would definitely add spice. Picking up characters in sightings would be awesome, as would a function to attempt to recruit NPC-types at, say, cities. The more differences between things, the more flavor the game has, in my opinion. Dragons of different colors and abilities (red, gold, white, oh my!), wizards with differing specialties (necromancy, divination, healing, etc.), agents with specialties (good assassin/crappy saboteur).... those all sound like a ton of fun to me.

After Dusitopia, that is.
-The Deliverer
What if it came down to either Dusitopia, or Halflings?
Yes, Deliverer, I know you are owed a region name.  But I have reserved that you must work with me on that score.   Kevaniun is a step better than Dusitopia.  

Meanwhile, yes, on the single topic before, the idea is that there might be 5 dragons total, each a separate unusual encounter, perhaps with different restrictions and/or requirements. 

Each dragon would be different (gold, red, black, green, silver and each named appropriately), and be essentially a character class of Dragon.  

Dragon recons are better than Advanced Recon and a dragon raid could present a problem.

Dragons could bring a lot of influence to a "diplomacy". 
I don't think Dusidale is all that bad, personally.
Dusidale?  Not likely.  Dusitopia is a reach.

OK - you can have Rhaegal, the Black Dragon, +2 to king's influence, +50% if at any threaten or encounter, can auto Advance Recon with no order, adds 25% to Archery phase, or you can have minor influence in Dusitopia. 

Thing is, can you keep the dragon loyal?  Would you know how?
What about training or leveling of some sort of troops above veteran status?  To be fair to kingdoms, perhaps they should be elite units but not named kingdom units.