Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#143 - Steel Exploratory Lion's Share Victory
(12-10-2014, 10:06 PM)Airborne Ranger Wrote: I AM READY FOR ANOTHER STEEL EXPLORITORY! Lets get most of same group in and go again?

I must still my submit my report and intend to do so some time today.

I think the 12 of us should all play another contest.  Maybe we can draft kingdoms in inverse order of finish?  That would be awesome, in my opinion.
Lord Thanatos

(DE) perspective:

Awesome game! I thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end.

Initially the BL and I decided to become allies and work towards either one or both of us winning this game.

As the contest got to turn two I was in Las Vegas for a week and found it difficult to respond to other players and even to enter the two sets of orders due during that week.  The AN essentially blocked me from taking a city and was poised to take it himself.  We negotiated a deal where AN got the city at UM and two towns for the first 20 turns.  This slowed me, but I took my region in good order and began building wizards/armies/agents/artifact hunting.

Early on the BL and I decided the RA would be a good addition to the team and he brought the SO into the fold.  The RA then orchestrated an assault upon the WA - which I refused to join because it was going to be four players against one.  It was still three against one, but I did not participate.

Eventually, the BL invited me into Runnimede and I moved to join him there.  At precisely this moment the GI moved upon my city at OP and knocked me out of control of my region.  I returned to face him, evicted him from the city and regained control of my region. The GI moved on to greener pastures.

I then moved back towards Runnimede. At precisely this moment the DW moved upon my city at OP and knocked me out of control of my region. I returned to face him, evicted him from the city and regained control of my region.  The DW refused to move on to greener pastures. So I moved upon the Talking Mountains.  I made two critical errors in my initial assault into the Talking Mountains which caused me to lose a demonprince and my military was delayed a few turns.  Nobody to blame but myself.  Oh well ...

[As an aside, I trained 4 level 14 agents and every one of them died when given their first assignment.  Definitely annoying.]

The game was now into turns 25 - 30 and I was slowly outmaneuvering the DW in the Talking Mountains, had decimated his armies in Arcania and evicted most of his emissaries therefrom also.  Arcania was securely mine on turn 21 and I was never again threatened with a loss of control there. I captured the RD capital in the Talking Mountains and a dungeon full of prisoners, which the AN took from me when he assaulted my capital on turn 36.

The RA decided he would assist me against the DW and I pointed out the three southernmost towns that he could take.  The RA also decided the SO would be moving to assist me against the DW as well.  I adamantly refused the third kingdom.  RA could help or SO could help, but I was not going to allow both.  I am certain the RA was quite frustrated by my intractable refusal to fight three versus one, but I can be quite stubborn. The RA moved elsewhere and the SO never joined in against the DW.

At the conclusion of the contest I controlled both Arcania and the Talking Mountains.  I had only one agent, 20 or more emissaries, 4 P5s and a P6.  In the early part of the contest I think I recovered four or five artifacts, all of which were subsequently stolen.

Between the BL, DE and RA we controlled five regions at the game's conclusion!  All the other kingdoms combined controlled less than the three of us.  Sounds like a resounding victory for our alliance ! ? ! ?

Chancellor: BL, who herded cats like he was born to it.
Iron Willed: WA, held out like a champion.
Infamous: UN, no place to call his home but owns a hoard of toys/artifacts unparalleled.
Lord Thanatos

(12-10-2014, 11:18 PM)Lord Thanatos Wrote: (DE) perspective:

Awesome game! I thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end.

Initially the BL and I decided to become allies and work towards either one or both of us winning this game.

As the contest got to turn two I was in Las Vegas for a week and found it difficult to respond to other players and even to enter the two sets of orders due during that week.  The AN essentially blocked me from taking a city and was poised to take it himself.  We negotiated a deal where AN got the city at UM and two towns for the first 20 turns.  This slowed me, but I took my region in good order and began building wizards/armies/agents/artifact hunting.

Early on the BL and I decided the RA would be a good addition to the team and he brought the SO into the fold.  The RA then orchestrated an assault upon the WA - which I refused to join because it was going to be four players against one.  It was still three against one, but I did not participate.

Eventually, the BL invited me into Runnimede and I moved to join him there.  At precisely this moment the GI moved upon my city at OP and knocked me out of control of my region.  I returned to face him, evicted him from the city and regained control of my region. The GI moved on to greener pastures.

I then moved back towards Runnimede. At precisely this moment the DW moved upon my city at OP and knocked me out of control of my region. I returned to face him, evicted him from the city and regained control of my region.  The DW refused to move on to greener pastures. So I moved upon the Talking Mountains.  I made two critical errors in my initial assault into the Talking Mountains which caused me to lose a demonprince and my military was delayed a few turns.  Nobody to blame but myself.  Oh well ...

[As an aside, I trained 4 level 14 agents and every one of them died when given their first assignment.  Definitely annoying.]

The game was now into turns 25 - 30 and I was slowly outmaneuvering the DW in the Talking Mountains, had decimated his armies in Arcania and evicted most of his emissaries therefrom also.  Arcania was securely mine on turn 21 and I was never again threatened with a loss of control there. I captured the RD capital in the Talking Mountains and a dungeon full of prisoners, which the AN took from me when he assaulted my capital on turn 36.

The RA decided he would assist me against the DW and I pointed out the three southernmost towns that he could take.  The RA also decided the SO would be moving to assist me against the DW as well.  I adamantly refused the third kingdom.  RA could help or SO could help, but I was not going to allow both.  I am certain the RA was quite frustrated by my intractable refusal to fight three versus one, but I can be quite stubborn. The RA moved elsewhere and the SO never joined in against the DW.

At the conclusion of the contest I controlled both Arcania and the Talking Mountains.  I had only one agent, 20 or more emissaries, 4 P5s and a P6.  In the early part of the contest I think I recovered four or five artifacts, all of which were subsequently stolen.

Between the BL, DE and RA we controlled five regions at the game's conclusion!  All the other kingdoms combined controlled less than the three of us.  Sounds like a resounding victory for our alliance ! ? ! ?

Chancellor: BL, who herded cats like he was born to it.
Iron Willed: WA, held out like a champion.
Infamous: UN, no place to call his home but owns a hoard of toys/artifacts unparalleled.

(DW) Actually, the SO did join in, but crushing his army was the highlight of my game, so I didn't mind.

(12-10-2014, 05:41 PM)gkmetty Wrote: Canticar (AN)

...[Uncle Mike] had a major advantage in this game in that you have access to the game code and you admittedly used it to your advantage...

This is not accurate. The source code running the current (Clipper based) program has not been shared outside of the routine that generates the turn results to prep for bridging Uncle Mike's text output to the PDF versions currently in use.  Mike has written his own code which is being used in game 300, with the plan being a reconciliation between the production values/formulas and Mike's as production moves to the new platform.  I believe what Mike referred to originally was his coding of status points, which has a published scheme making it easy to calculate expected status points.  I'm still working with Rick to update the current code now that the discrepancies have been identified (ally/enemy declarations and % of pts awarded).  I believe this game will be more confusing as it may have spanned the status point changes, but we'll come to a resolution and communicate it to the players. 

Game Details

Attached Files
.pdf   End of Game Details - Game 143 - 12102014.pdf (Size: 243 KB / Downloads: 11)
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.