Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online Order Entry And Validation
(08-14-2014, 05:30 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: On vacations.

Are there really places "we" are traveling to that don't have internet connection? And of course that assumes we are not bringing an internet connected device in the first place.

I have in the past considered a default turn for missed orders, but as Lord Diamond and others know, I am way behind where I would like to be developmental wise, as daily processing is so consuming. And I want to do what I want to do, strange as that might seem. So for Alamaze, my priorities besides daily processing and seeing the new web based order entry in place are getting my 2nd Cycle changes in a form that Cipher can implement them.

http://www.broadbandmap.gov/technology

Hey, something I actually can help with! This link is to a site which maps out internet connectivity in the US (and maybe other regions). I had a lot more to say about this but just deleted it since you all are probably not really all that interested about Moore's Law, population density mapping, telecom investment thresholds, and the like. Just look at the pretty maps and understand that, even in the US, there are a substantial number of non-internet service locations.
Keep in mind that Rick has already mentioned that he wants to fully automate Alamaze/Kingdoms of Arcania to be like Fall of Rome where the game startup and turn processing is completely online and without human intervention. So we can discuss whatever we wish regarding internet connectivity and such but without internet access, you won't be able to play the newer games in the future.
Does the on-line order entry care about turn number? Or is it like current way I can have turn 1 on my turn sheet the whole game if I wanted and it just uses last order entered for that game? I ask because if it cares about turn number I could enter futures turns correct? This would be semi viable for a vacation. For me it is not about internet it is about family time without distractions.
(08-15-2014, 12:26 PM)Jumpingfist Wrote: Does the on-line order entry care about turn number? Or is it like current way I can have turn 1 on my turn sheet the whole game if I wanted and it just uses last order entered for that game? I ask because if it cares about turn number I could enter futures turns correct? This would be semi viable for a vacation. For me it is not about internet it is about family time without distractions.

Turn number is relevant for the software to know what previous results (kingdom) file to load for the purpose of error checking. This is how the program knows your current emissary names, group locations, and other relevant information.

However for submitting your turns online, you may place a higher turn number than what actually exists for the game. I've done this many times during testing to verify certain conditions such as not to allow order 755 (divine seapower) until after turn 5 even though the game is on a lower turn number.

Your orders file will be saved on the server until it is time to process the file. Once it is processed, the previous turn and results file are removed from the server as part of the directory maintenance procedure that Cipher wrote (otherwise, we'll have thousands of files cluttering the server).

So if the only concern that you have during vacation is undisturbed family time, you may submit several turns' worth of orders in advance without a problem. This is not encouraged however for obvious reasons since errors may occur but you may submit multiple turns at any time with the new online system.
(08-15-2014, 01:34 PM)unclemike Wrote:
(08-15-2014, 12:26 PM)Jumpingfist Wrote: Does the on-line order entry care about turn number? Or is it like current way I can have turn 1 on my turn sheet the whole game if I wanted and it just uses last order entered for that game? I ask because if it cares about turn number I could enter futures turns correct? This would be semi viable for a vacation. For me it is not about internet it is about family time without distractions.

Turn number is relevant for the software to know what previous results (kingdom) file to load for the purpose of error checking. This is how the program knows your current emissary names, group locations, and other relevant information.

However for submitting your turns online, you may place a higher turn number than what actually exists for the game. I've done this many times during testing to verify certain conditions such as not to allow order 755 (divine seapower) until after turn 5 even though the game is on a lower turn number.

Your orders file will be saved on the server until it is time to process the file. Once it is processed, the previous turn and results file are removed from the server as part of the directory maintenance procedure that Cipher wrote (otherwise, we'll have thousands of files cluttering the server).

So if the only concern that you have during vacation is undisturbed family time, you may submit several turns' worth of orders in advance without a problem. This is not encouraged however for obvious reasons since errors may occur but you may submit multiple turns at any time with the new online system.

I have had several different players help me out with turns while I have been on vacation. I would not have a problem with sharing passwords to submit orders with any of them in the future.

I only bring my iPad & iphone on most trips. The online order sytem might actually work well with the iPad because I won't need excel.
I'd suggest changing your password before you go on vacation, give your accomplice your new modified password and instructions, and then change back to your accustomed password when you return.

Incidentally, a reminder I will be taking my first vacation since the restart starting August 27 - September 2.
(08-15-2014, 06:12 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: I'd suggest changing your password before you go on vacation, give your accomplice your new modified password and instructions, and then change back to your accustomed password when you return.

Incidentally, a reminder I will be taking my first vacation since the restart starting August 27 - September 2.

Is that your way of saying that I should start my titan match with Will right before then, just so that he has to wait in between turns?
-The Deliverer
Hi Guys,

Just a question. Also emailed Uncle Mike about this, but will ask here as well so everyone can hear the answer.

When verifying our turn does the program verify that we have enough gold to carry out all our orders? And... the gold and food amount that we see in the top column after we verify our turns, is that the amount of gold and food we have left over after all our orders for the turn have been processed?

Thanks in advance for the feedback
(08-16-2014, 07:38 AM)Hidden Hex Wrote: Hi Guys,

Just a question. Also emailed Uncle Mike about this, but will ask here as well so everyone can hear the answer.

When verifying our turn does the program verify that we have enough gold to carry out all our orders? And... the gold and food amount that we see in the top column after we verify our turns, is that the amount of gold and food we have left over after all our orders for the turn have been processed?

Thanks in advance for the feedback

The software tracks your gold and food expenses for all orders automatically. You should see the deduction of both food and gold for every order displayed in the message area. Events are also incorporated into the calculations such as paying/feeding reinforcements or other non-order related events of the game.

The treasury totals near the top of the web page is the final count after all orders have been deducted from the treasury and includes the food spoilage subtraction that occurs at the end of the turn.

Don't forget to submit your turn in order to save the file on the server otherwise you'll have to retype everything the next time you log in. Don't worry, there's no harm in saving your file multiple times on the server and as I mentioned before, I encourage people to save (submit) your turn often. Only the last one will count towards your next turn though so make sure your last save (submit) counts.

After you save your orders, you can logout then log back in some other day and press the load orders button to reload the page for you.
HH- Don't forget, though, that if your Army Gtoups take over a PC (which happens BEFORE production),
you will receive the food/gold from it, but the order checker won't account for them. Thus, the treasury totals
at the top might not be accurate.
Also, if you need it, that gold can be used to fund orders happening later in the same turn.
However, PC takeovers by Emissaries happen after production so they won't affect your treasury totals.