Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking New Heroes Primeval
You are doing fine if those are what you consider mistakes Drogo. Those are all what I would consider advanced items and to be considering them this early your ahead on the new guy learnng curve. I am thinking more on the lines of flat out botch orders. Like I almost issued two 330 order to the same city instead of a 320 and 330. I caught it as I was converting open office to excel

Drogo seems to be a quick study.

One trick to consider in certain positions, such as the Dwarf where the groups in some setups may be combined at the capital region's city at the end of turn 2 is to do so, raising a Power 1 wizard on turn 1 at its starting PC to P2 to gain Diplomacy. Then move on T2 to the city, do a late combine or transfer (late transfers no longer have the other costs) and use the Diplomacy spell on T3.

This instead of moving two high level emissaries (let's say 2 dukes in the case of the Dwarves) on turn 1 to the city, and then performing an Incite and a Usurp. This also requires doing a recon of the city to make sure no foreign emissary is there to Maintain Status Quo.

So the emissary move to take the city takes at least five orders, at least 21k gold, will fail if an enemy emissary is there, and if successful, you get production on turn 3.

If you go the group move, use the spell Diplomacy route, it costs 24k to get to P2 on turn 1, move on turn 2, perhaps Creating Gold for -4k to the cost, and doing Diplomacy on turn 3, thereby also getting production on turn 3. Meanwhile, the two Dukes are not at the city, instead they can be deployed to two neutral towns in the region. Also, instead of the gone-forever energy of the 4 Duke orders for 20k, you have a permanent asset increase in your Power 2, who if he did create gold on turn 2 for -4, achieves the same result, possibly with less risk, for the same 20k.

This is what is great about Alamaze always lots of choices.
Personally I am a big fan of moving groups around and exploring. Never know when you will come across an artifact unusual siting on T1. Or land on a village or town you can take. Talking to those around you can help remove the need to scout at least right away. Also why send a duke to do a counts job.
A hybrid would be to split off a group with your wizard so it can be raised while your army goes about gathering intel and possible landing on a PC for income. It is always a juggle with how many order you have. Some kingdoms are better suited than others for various options.
Also each option has its risk. If you leave your 1DW at home a RD player could intercept your 1DW and land on your capital T1.(not a risk in this game no RD).
Another thing experience players have an advantage with knowing others tendencies. Or disadvantage if they learn yours.

You could always split the p1 to 4DW, raise the p2 there, and let 1DW wander around, then meet and combine on the city the following turn.
-The Deliverer

(05-23-2014, 12:30 AM)kevindusi Wrote: You could always split the p1 to 4DW, raise the p2 there, and let 1DW wander around, then meet and combine on the city the following turn.

That is what I ment by a hybrid. You could actually even scout 4 other squares still and return to your capital with the 5 square.

(05-22-2014, 10:41 PM)The Gray Mouser Wrote: Drogo seems to be a quick study.

One trick to consider in certain positions, such as the Dwarf where the groups in some setups may be combined at the capital region's city at the end of turn 2 is to do so, raising a Power 1 wizard on turn 1 at its starting PC to P2 to gain Diplomacy. Then move on T2 to the city, do a late combine or transfer (late transfers no longer have the other costs) and use the Diplomacy spell on T3.

This instead of moving two high level emissaries (let's say 2 dukes in the case of the Dwarves) on turn 1 to the city, and then performing an Incite and a Usurp. This also requires doing a recon of the city to make sure no foreign emissary is there to Maintain Status Quo.

So the emissary move to take the city takes at least five orders, at least 21k gold, will fail if an enemy emissary is there, and if successful, you get production on turn 3.

If you go the group move, use the spell Diplomacy route, it costs 24k to get to P2 on turn 1, move on turn 2, perhaps Creating Gold for -4k to the cost, and doing Diplomacy on turn 3, thereby also getting production on turn 3. Meanwhile, the two Dukes are not at the city, instead they can be deployed to two neutral towns in the region. Also, instead of the gone-forever energy of the 4 Duke orders for 20k, you have a permanent asset increase in your Power 2, who if he did create gold on turn 2 for -4, achieves the same result, possibly with less risk, for the same 20k.

Thanks RY Vor for adding to the possibilities of actions that can be takin. That is my goal when posting updates of my turns in this new players forum. I would like them to see what my mind set is as I approach the turns. I did not look into the cost aspect of raising the wizard to start with. Makes a lot of sense to do this. In this format I could have hired an HP on the first turn to still make sure I had all the town info I needed to gain control with now a few extra emissaries on T3.
I invite any of the experienced player to add to the discussion and help our new players learn other options and tricks that could help them in this or future games. Feel free to use my DWs as your for examplesSmile

Wait, did the GN drop? I only ask because I happen to see on Brogan's signature that he is now the GN in game #140 (picked up on standby).
-This Khal Drogo, it's said he has a hundred thousand men in his horde

(05-23-2014, 03:53 PM)Drogo Wrote: Wait, did the GN drop? I only ask because I happen to see on Brogan's signature that he is now the GN in game #140 (picked up on standby).

Too funny sold out by signature. I never paid much attention to the signatures. I sure hope DuPont or Dusi never get it in there heads to make one of those game list signatures.

(05-23-2014, 04:06 PM)Jumpingfist Wrote:
(05-23-2014, 03:53 PM)Drogo Wrote: Wait, did the GN drop? I only ask because I happen to see on Brogan's signature that he is now the GN in game #140 (picked up on standby).

Too funny sold out by signature. I never paid much attention to the signatures. I sure hope DuPont or Dusi never get it in there heads to make one of those game list signatures.

I think signatures are character-limited, so I wouldn't be able to.
-The Deliverer

I don't want people to know about some of the games I'm in. Smile