Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Poll: Exactly why are we even bothering with this match?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Because even a one in a million chance is still a chance. Go DuPont!!
57.14%
4 57.14%
No idea. DuPont making it until turn 9? Only if The Deliverer doesn't submit turns 7 and 8.
42.86%
3 42.86%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All hail The Deliverer, unofficial Titan Champion of Alamaze
Bleh - for some reason I haven't felt very inspired by this game, and that's lead to a few sloppy mistakes. Not all is lost, but I would give the advantage to Dusi at this stage.
He seems to think the HC is worth a lot more than I do - fun fact, I didn't even put in a bid on the first two turns - he could have won those two slots for 1 gold each. And his first two votes had no practical effect at all. I did forget about the GN ability to ambush - that was a good move on his part.
We'll see how things go - I'm going to put more effort into my next turns orders - hopefully there won't be any dumb mistakes! Probably got into too many games - turns out there is too much of a good thing with Alamaze!

I promise to submit my next turn with one hand tied behind my back.
-The Deliverer

(02-21-2014, 08:27 PM)kevindusi Wrote: I promise to submit my next turn with one hand tied behind my back.

But, you're really not left handed.

Do you know something I don't know?
-The Deliverer

(02-22-2014, 04:37 AM)kevindusi Wrote: Do you know something I don't know?

If you didn't see The Princess Bride, likely I do.

Congrats to Dusi on winning this game. I've made one too many input errors and he's played flawlessly, so I'm going to pack it in. I'll post something more complete in a while, but wanted to tip my hat to him. Looking forward to Dusiland!

Dusitopia, DuPont. Dusitopia.

You're invited whenever you'd like to visit. Would love a rematch once I'm out of busy season and things have calmed down for you as well. Some good opening moves on your end!!
-The Deliverer

As promised, something a bit more in depth. When I got my setup, I really groaned. My BL capital was situated at ZK - as far west as you can get and still be in the Sands. His Arcania town was at the same longitude at VK, meaning that a number of pop centers (including the city) would be out of range without an extra move. The DE starting pop centers were jammed in the east, not as bad, but not helpful. I decided to try and make lemonade out of this - I'd send the BL into Arcania and the DE into the Sands. The bitch of it was the BL was Suspicious in Arcania, meaning I'd have to spend an extra 16k to get friendly there. At least the GI was okay - I could march everybody towards Viperhead in one go. The WA was interesting - I chose to move the 1WA to Avalon. The Avalon/Viperhead moves paid off, but with the BL, I also decided to try and move everything on the GN capital. Unfortunately, I screwed up the movement order on the 2BL and that set me way back. I should have abandonded my plan then, and turned the BL groups back towards Arcania, but I didn't.
Then order errors started to pile up. I screwed up TWO of my RD emmy movements - they tried to go to blank spaces rather than towns - I 170'd with the wrong DE group and left a town neutral - screwed up a ward order that let the AN turn Avalon back to neutral. Fortunatly, my group was still there and I flipped it back the next turn with no harm done, but you just can't make errors like that in a game with somebody as good as Kevin and expect to win. The final straw to me was that I somehow ordered my DA player to 480 rather than 470 #9 just after moving all my people in there. I had hoped to catch the EL at his capital, but he moved out just as I got there. The BL attack on the GN was a disaster.
In hindsight, I tried to do too much and not concentrate on my core areas. The BL should have focused like a laser beam on Arcania. If I hadn't screwed up, the DE would have had the Sands last turn and would have been free to do something else this turn.
The one thing I was happy with was making Dusi waste money on the HC. I think in a short game like this, it's way over-rated. I didn't even put in a bid on turns 1, 2 & 4. I would have put in a high bid on turn 5 had I stayed in - I would have either gotten it or make Dusi waste an even bigger sum of money. All you need is one seat to propose issues, even if they don't pass. And that money he was putting into the HC wasn't going into other things I considered more harmful.
But for whatever reason, I couldn't get 'into' this game from the start. Not sure why - Dusi's a really fun person to play against. Probably a bit of burnout on Titan games - I think I need to take a break before getting into another. They require a great deal of thought and I'm just in too many other ones right now to really give it the needed attention. Plus, DuPont V is taking up a fair amount of my time.
Not that I am suggesting that's the reason Dusi won - he, as I said, played a pretty flawless game. Congrats!