Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Spells
Create Sanctuary - A wizard can create a magical rest area, complete with feast, shelter, and study materials in any square for one turn. For game purposes, this acts as a friendly PC for the turn, allowing wizards to level, groups to rest, etc.. You cannot recruit troops, but can train them in the sanctuary.
(12-30-2013, 11:23 AM)Yellowbeard Wrote: I agree with re-balancing combat spells. I've seen some pretty shocking results. See below for an example.

A p7 presence, a p6 earthquake and presence, and a p3 chaos and presence. I believe a presence is a lightning attack and shield 2 lvls lower (correct me if I'm wrong), so total magic dmg is over 11000 points of dmg. Add in 3 shields and a chaos and the results are the gnome is crushed and the AN only loses 2400 troops.

Gnome:
4 brigades
Captain II
P7
P6
P3

Ancient ones:
5 brigades
Marshall II
No wizards
High attrition/very high morale

Very Interesting, It would appear that the Very High Moral of the AN group "ATE" your Spell Damage before any real troops were "damaged" Very Interesting...
I did learn one thing from my "mentor".
(12-31-2013, 07:49 PM)Wynterbreeze Wrote:
(12-30-2013, 11:23 AM)Yellowbeard Wrote: I agree with re-balancing combat spells. I've seen some pretty shocking results. See below for an example.

A p7 presence, a p6 earthquake and presence, and a p3 chaos and presence. I believe a presence is a lightning attack and shield 2 lvls lower (correct me if I'm wrong), so total magic dmg is over 11000 points of dmg. Add in 3 shields and a chaos and the results are the gnome is crushed and the AN only loses 2400 troops.

Gnome:
4 brigades
Captain II
P7
P6
P3

Ancient ones:
5 brigades
Marshall II
No wizards
High attrition/very high morale

Very Interesting, It would appear that the Very High Moral of the AN group "ATE" your Spell Damage before any real troops were "damaged" Very Interesting...

Wow! Yellowbeard has a lot of cool ideas for spells. I like them all. I hope some of them get used.

Ry-Vor's new spells sound excellent as well.

I would like there to be a lesser summon death spell. 50% strength of the current spell but available at 2 levels less. That seems to be a more effective combat spell with pretty predictable results.
I would get rid of the "Destroy Village / Destroy Town / Damage City" spells, and simply have a "Devastation" spell that does, say 750 points of damage to a population center per level of the caster. If you reduce the defense to 0, the pop center is destroyed.

How about a "Rot" spell - you cast it on an enemy fleet in a particular sea, and it reduces their naval quality in that sea by some amount - maybe 0.3 per level of the caster. Doesn't actually destroy any fleets, just makes them worse.

Maybe a "True Shot" spell at Power-1 or 2 that will double the effect of your archers in combat.

For the evil types, how about a "Plague" spell? You cast it on one of your own emissaries in an opponent's pop center. The emissary dies of some horrid plague, but spreads it to the local population. Reduces all stats (Population, Defence, Gold Production, Food Production) by 20%. Nasty, but how many emissaries do you have? Probably should be Power-6 or so. Would make me really nervous about being hired as an Envoy for the Witchlord though!

-Wall of Ice. Hinders an attacking foe and allows the defender to make an orderly retreat. Basically gets you out of undesired combat more easily.

-Summon elementals. Like a summon monster spell, but the troops only lasts for the combat. 1 brigade summoned per power level.

-Summon Rats. Wipes out that turn's food production of a PC (up to 5000). Caster need not be in the same area. Negated by 'ward PC' spell.

-Summon Gremlins. Wipes out that turns gold production of a PC (up to 5000). Caster need not be in the same area. Negated by 'ward PC' spell.
a series of one turn summing spells based on terrain that only last for that battle. Where different kingdom wizards could get a specific terrain type sooner than others and level would determine the number of brigades to fight/be summoned. They would be summoned into the enemy ranks so would take most casualties prior to the regular troops. the Mobs could also be different types of units based on terrain as well.

Forest - Treant - strong infantry
Plains - Rinos - Cavalry
Swamps - Wil O' Wisps - Archer(magic)
Mountains - Yeti - strong infantry
(01-31-2014, 03:09 AM)Jumpingfist Wrote: a series of one turn summing spells based on terrain that only last for that battle. Where different kingdom wizards could get a specific terrain type sooner than others and level would determine the number of brigades to fight/be summoned. They would be summoned into the enemy ranks so would take most casualties prior to the regular troops. the Mobs could also be different types of units based on terrain as well.

Forest - Treant - strong infantry
Plains - Rinos - Cavalry
Swamps - Wil O' Wisps - Archer(magic)
Mountains - Yeti - strong infantry

Maybe make it a two tier system with spells at different levels

Forest: sprites (weak archers) and ents (strong infantry)
Plains: wolves (weak cavalry) and rhinos (strong cavalry)
Desert: skeletons (weak infantry) and manticores (strong archers)
Swamps: crocodiles (weak infantry) and will-o-wisps (strong archers)
Mountains: yeti (weak infantry) and stone giants (strong infantry)

Recall soul (lvl 9) - brings any individual character of lower level back to life. Note that this is self limiting somewhat in that a Level 14 agent could not be brought back to life by a level 9 wizard.

Avatar (lvl 10) - like wraith form but not killable by any means except....

Kill Avatar (lvl 10) - kills avatar.....no protection

King me (tongue in cheek name) (lvl 9) - moves highest ranking emmissary up to king level with influence at prior king's highest level

Terror (lvl 9) - One battle - all troops lowered by one (or two) quality level(s) (whatever that means).

Inspire (lvl 9) - One battle - all troops increased by one (or two) quality levels
I mentioned earlier in another post that high level wizards are nearly useless inflicting combat damage with the 5th level Earthquake spell in the latter stages of the game (going against 100,000+ strong groups it becomes a joke). So the following aren't just suggestions to improve gameplay but rather I feel they are truly necessary for proper game balance/design:

Ice Torrent (6th level): 1600 damage/level

Acid Rain (7th level): 2000 damage/level

Prismatic Rays (8th level): 2500 damage/level plus 10% morale loss from daze

Disintegrate (9th level): 3000 damage/level plus 20% morale loss from demoralizing effect

Detonate (9th level): massive damage against opposing troops that also kills the wizard

In just about every other fantasy setting that I know of, high level wizards are feared (as they should be) and the above changes may accomplish this effect for Alamaze/Kingdoms of Arcania. In addition to the above, the following spells may also be helpful in the game:

Bind Artifact (3rd level): permanently binds artifact to emissary/agent/HP/group so it cannot be stolen or transferred (if group becomes inactive artifact stays with the inactive group, if emissary is kidnapped artifact stays in prison, if emissary dies then artifact is removed from play - as if destroyed in volcano)

Lich Form (9th level): same as Wraithform but wizard is 7th level permanently. "IN A TRANCE STATE, DARK MAGIC SWIRLED AROUND THE WIZARD RIPPING FLESH FROM BONE, CAUSING DECAY WHERE THERE WAS NONE, AND AFTER AN UNIMAGINABLE SCREAM OF ANGUISH RED GLOWING EYES PIERCED THROUGH THE DARKNESS: THE WIZARD IS NOW A LICH!" (sorry got carried away)

Cry of the Banshee (9th level): kill leader/wizard that the 1st level protect spell does not counter (this is a 9th level spell to counter its potency)

Summon Mummies (7th level): for desert terrains (the only terrain that special troops cannot be summoned other than water)

Summon Kraken (6th level): acts similar to a Summon Demon but for destroying ships (I'll resist saying, "Release the Kraken!!", oops I just did)

Rogue Wave (7th level): combat spell that does damage to both troops and fleets (only castable in water battles)

Water Elemental (8th level): combat spell that inflicts damage to opposition and has chance of drowning the opposing leader