Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gnomish Strategy for Newb
Hi All!

I am Deimos'Ruhk, and I am a newb. (zounds, having AA meeting flashbacks now!)

I just signed up for my first game (go me!), and I am the Gnomes. I played D&D, so I <think> I know what Gnomes are.

That, friend, is the extent of what I know about this game. Oh, that and the Customer Service Rocks!

So, if this community would be generous and boast (err, advise) about an appropriate Gnomish strategy, that would be much appreciated.

Also, whats the best way to level characters? What are the best characters (for Gnomes), and how do I use said characters in-game?

Lastly, are there any up-to-date tools/programs available that will help me input my orders correctly (so I don't get flopped turns)!

Thanks in advance and all that!

(12-09-2013, 01:19 AM)DeimosRuhk Wrote: Hi All!

I am Deimos'Ruhk, and I am a newb. (zounds, having AA meeting flashbacks now!)

I just signed up for my first game (go me!), and I am the Gnomes. I played D&D, so I <think> I know what Gnomes are.

That, friend, is the extent of what I know about this game. Oh, that and the Customer Service Rocks!

So, if this community would be generous and boast (err, advise) about an appropriate Gnomish strategy, that would be much appreciated.

Also, whats the best way to level characters? What are the best characters (for Gnomes), and how do I use said characters in-game?

Lastly, are there any up-to-date tools/programs available that will help me input my orders correctly (so I don't get flopped turns)!

Thanks in advance and all that!

First off, welcome!

As per strategy, here are some general tips.

1. You start off in the same region as the UN. Always a good idea to reach out and see if you can come to some kind of deal. Typically, the GN gets the city and control and the UN gets a piece.
2. The RD starts in both Runnimede and the Talking Mountains so the DW/GN usually each try to cut a deal to get him to go bother the other guy (as you are each others "natural enemy").
3. Based on your convo with the UN/RD, hire a high priestess and divine town/village locations. This allows you to send your emissaries to the pop centers in order to take control of the region.
4. Based on your convo with the UN/RD, recon the city and send 1-2 high level emissary(ies) or group to incite and usurp/parley the city. The city produces the most gold of any pop center in the region.
5. Establish contact with your neighbors in order to get the lay of the land. Some may be looking to ally and others may be looking for a place to expand.
6. Based on the above, you can establish a plan of attack in conjunction with any budding alliances that you may have negotiated and drive towards those goals. It is important to ensure that those match with your early strategic objective and your secret victory condition.

As for leveling characters, you have 3 types of figures. Here is an explanation of "leveling" each one:

Emissaries:
1. Emissaries: You can cede influence to raise their rank
2. High priestess: Cannot be leveled but has a ton of special abilities
3. Kings: Unique figure. Cannot be leveled but you can increase their influence and therefore the effectiveness of your emissaries and the # of orders that you can issue
4. Agents: You can train them and they also gain levels by successfully completing missions

Leaders: Military commanders can be leveled by engaging in battles. They often, but not always gain levels whether they win or lose. They can also perish.

Wizards: They can only be linked to groups. They gain levels by training only.

I hope that helps and good luck in your game!

Thank You Mauler!

I will keep your notes handy.

No response about up-to-date utilities to assist with new orders (I found an old, old, OLD utility from '07 thanks to Cargus10 directing me to that site)- are there any modern ones out there, or maybe a spreadsheet someone is using?

Yes, I know I can make my own (and I probably will if I like this game), but a little something to ease the way for me to go "straight into-the-action" would be nice.

PS Mauler, also just figured out how to do the Reputation thing, so you should get a +1 score. Wink

Thanks Mauler, very good advice.

For all new players:
1. There is no way to play Alamaze with any effect without reading the General Rules, and then the method for issuing each order is in The Commands. Even players with years of experience reference The Commands about every turn. There you see proper format for each order submission as well as how it works. Spell lists are separate and on the end of each turn result.
2. As Mauler inferred, diplomacy, especially pre turn 1 and the first several turns is important. Many players distrust a position they have no correspondence from. BTW, most players honor their commitments.
3. Use all available commands, rationing resources, and plan ahead. If you spend too much on turn 1, you won't be able to execute on turn 2.
4. Beyond diplomacy itself, you'll find emailing experienced players in the game is generally rewarding - they are mostly happy to help.
5. Don't get upset when you are crushed in your first couple games. Did you win your first game of chess against an experienced player? It takes quite awhile to master all the necessary skills and many players will never win, nor does than particularly matter to them. It's the thrill of the chase.

(12-09-2013, 03:20 AM)DeimosRuhk Wrote: PS Mauler, also just figured out how to do the Reputation thing, so you should get a +1 score. Wink

No worries. Yeah, I didn't even have the old program Wink Not to worry though, I suspect the new and improved version will be out soon.

(12-09-2013, 02:47 AM)DeimosRuhk Wrote: Thank You Mauler!

I will keep your notes handy.

No response about up-to-date utilities to assist with new orders (I found an old, old, OLD utility from '07 thanks to Cargus10 directing me to that site)- are there any modern ones out there, or maybe a spreadsheet someone is using?

Yes, I know I can make my own (and I probably will if I like this game), but a little something to ease the way for me to go "straight into-the-action" would be nice.

Mauler made some great points. Here are my thoughts-

The Gnome's benefits more than most kingdoms by being left alone to build. It is not set up for immediate expansion via combat.

I would attempt to offset this by an alliance with the RD and/or the TR. If no immediate alliance presents itself then try to establish peace treaties with as many neighbors as possible.

Having Hidden Ore as a level 2 spell is a major advantage. Most kingdoms don't get it until 3. The GN can play a defensive game and use this spell to become a very wealthy kingdom.

You might try to establish a navy on the sea of Mystery and then improove the gold production of pop centers there to very high levels.

Once you have your wizards to sufficient levels you can do pretty well in the artifact aspect of the game. Artifacts not only produce status points but also can be traded to other kingdoms for pop centers or other favors. Think what the UN might do for the ring of invisibility.

Avoid attacking things with your military. Try to use the order 171 diplomacy to capture PC's without fighting. 171 is a very powerful spell. a power 3 wizard can 171 a friendly city with a group of only 2or 3 brigades. Regional reaction is critical for 171.

Later in the game try to keep your groups invisible or in ambush. You do not want to get into group combat with most other kingdoms.

Best of luck and welcome to the game!

Thanks Hawk! Good tip with the Hidden Ore thing!

So... I don't wanna fight anyone... hows about I just buy off some peeps?

What are decent, reasonable, tributes a GN player can offer UN, RD, and TR?

I mean, is $500/turn high or low? What about $1,000? You get my drift.

What about non-gold offerings? What assets does the GN have in abundance that RD, UN, and TR do not?

Also, when bidding for High Council Seats, what are the typical bids early in the game (in the experience of veteran players)?

EDIT: Oh, and if you lose a bid for the High Council, is your bid still spent or do you get it back?

Standing tributes aren't generally used. It's very rare for any kind of inequal relationship to exist at the start where one kingdom is the boss and exacts tribute in exchange for peace. Not even the Red Dragons are powerful enough to make that kidn of demand of another kingdom right off the bat. Alamaze rewards cooperation among small groups early on rather than early confrontations. It is possible for one kingdom to knock another out of the game early on throuhg cleaver play, but that's usually a surprise attack to control a shared region and there's little point to threatening and establishing tribute if you go that route.

Most of the time it's quid pro quo. e.g. "I'll have my wizard put that enemy emissary to sleep so you can take that town and in return you can give me 40,000 food since it's summertime and I'm short." OR "Give me the ring of protection and I'll vote to kick your enemy of the high council." etc.

BTW, a good resource to check out before you start is the Valhalla sub-forum where every completed game has it's story told by the participants and it generally covers things like what deals were made early on and whether they chose to use military action first or diplomacy or magic etc. and then gives you the outcome.

The best part of it is that if you pay attention to what the good players say, you start to get a feel for do's and dont's.

(12-09-2013, 12:40 PM)Jumbie Wrote: Standing tributes aren't generally used. It's very rare for any kind of inequal relationship to exist at the start where one kingdom is the boss and exacts tribute in exchange for peace. Not even the Red Dragons are powerful enough to make that kidn of demand of another kingdom right off the bat. Alamaze rewards cooperation among small groups early on rather than early confrontations. It is possible for one kingdom to knock another out of the game early on throuhg cleaver play, but that's usually a surprise attack to control a shared region and there's little point to threatening and establishing tribute if you go that route.

Most of the time it's quid pro quo. e.g. "I'll have my wizard put that enemy emissary to sleep so you can take that town and in return you can give me 40,000 food since it's summertime and I'm short." OR "Give me the ring of protection and I'll vote to kick your enemy of the high council." etc.

BTW, a good resource to check out before you start is the Valhalla sub-forum where every completed game has it's story told by the participants and it generally covers things like what deals were made early on and whether they chose to use military action first or diplomacy or magic etc. and then gives you the outcome.

The best part of it is that if you pay attention to what the good players say, you start to get a feel for do's and dont's.

Good to know! Thanks! Is the player's startup location static or random? I mean, is there any way I can know where my stuff will begin at before the game commences? Kinda hard to plan having no experience where everything is. I looked up my pdf profile, but it didn't tell me what my guys would be or where they would be at. Undecided