Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lenghth of Names
I seem to recall that back in the day, there was a minimum limit of letters for a name of 4 and a maximum, though I don't remember that number. Does that still stand? I see no reason why you can't have a 2 letter name (I have discarded a couple of names I wanted to use because they were 2 or 3 letters). And what is the max number of letters in a name?
(11-11-2013, 10:20 PM)DuPont Wrote: I seem to recall that back in the day, there was a minimum limit of letters for a name of 4 and a maximum, though I don't remember that number. Does that still stand? I see no reason why you can't have a 2 letter name (I have discarded a couple of names I wanted to use because they were 2 or 3 letters). And what is the max number of letters in a name?

Suggest keeping the minimum at least 4 and you should be able to go to 20 or more (say 20), with spaces allowed and counting as letters.
So I can't name my Ancient Ones Consuls Id, Ego and Superego? Sad
(11-12-2013, 12:56 AM)DuPont Wrote: So I can't name my Ancient Ones Consuls Id, Ego and Superego? Sad

Honestly, you probably can. I just can't guarantee it. Is your Id's drive for this strong enough to overcome your Superego's more restrained recognition of possible risk and tendency to preserve social morays?
(11-11-2013, 10:20 PM)DuPont Wrote: I seem to recall that back in the day, there was a minimum limit of letters for a name of 4 and a maximum, though I don't remember that number. Does that still stand? I see no reason why you can't have a 2 letter name (I have discarded a couple of names I wanted to use because they were 2 or 3 letters). And what is the max number of letters in a name?

From the latest version of "COMMANDS" from the link in the top header of this site.

#510 HIRE A NEW EMISSARY -
Certain emissary types may be added to a king's talent pool through execution of this order. These types, and their
associated gold costs are:

Type of Emissary: Place in Column A: Resource cost:
Agent A 5,000 gold
Envoy B 3,000 gold
Ambassador C 6,000 gold
Provincial Governor D 10,000 gold
High Priestess E 18,000 gold
Fanatic F 8,000 gold

These are the only types of emissaries that can be recruited. A newly recruited emissary may begin his service in any
population center under the control of that kingdom. The player should give the emissary a name appropriate for his
kingdom. No other emissary in the kingdom may have a name beginning with the same first two letters. A requested name
may be deemed inappropriate (ridiculous names fall in this category) by staff during processing and in such case the player
forfeits the right to name the emissary, and one will be appointed to him. Note: a standing order may not be used for this
order.

Column A - "A" - "E" to indicate the emissary type, as shown above
Column B - Name for new emissary (between four and nine letters, inclusive)
Column C - Area of population center under kingdom's control
Resource Cost - As shown above, based on emissary recruited.

Order 510 has an additional cost to the issuing king. Each time this order is given, the king will lose a % of a point of
influence equal to the emissary's % of the king's power. Thus, hiring an envoy will cost the king .1 of influence, an
ambassador .2 and a provincial governor .3. In addition, the hiring of an agent results in the loss of .1 and a Fanatic .2.
There is no influence loss for hiring a high priestess. If you wish to designate a hired ambassador or provincial governor as
female, assign an appropriate name and place an "F" in column D. The default gender is male.

Notice the bold lettering, between 4 and 9 is the answer to your question according to the official latest official commands offered to new and old players alike.

However I must note that the latest version of these commands are lacking updates, as I found out. As a matter of fact this is one of the orders that desperately needs it's description updated.

Forgive me if you were only asking how many letters can you name a King/Council on turn 1, your original post was unclear on that part Smile
I did learn one thing from my "mentor".