Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Notifications of Dropped Players
I think that everyone in a game should be notified when a kingdom is eliminated or a player drops. Does anyone else have an opposing opinion?
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

I completely agree.

Ditto. Dropped or eliminated.

Incidentally, I hear that the Western Black Rhino is extinct and will no longer be a part of the game 'Earth'.

I thought we already got drop notifications. What were those messages I got in 103 about the Witch King and Underworld surrendering?

The player might alert you, but the system doesn't.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the game currently sends a broadcast message to all kingdoms when a position has been eliminated (i.e. no pop centers remaining).

If we change that functionality and have the game administrator notify everyone when a player drops, then everyone will be gunning for that region. Would that be truly fair to the neighboring player(s) in that region when they find out what happened?

For example, if someone is playing the Troll and the Ancient One player drops out, the game administrator will then broadcast everyone via forum/email of the dropped position. Do you really think that no one will move into that region?

The Troll will be bombarded with a ton of emissaries and/or groups in his region which is totally unfair to the Troll player who will have to contend with a dozen or so kingdoms all at once.

So I say, keep the program "as is" where the surviving kingdoms get a broadcast message ONLY after the last pop center is taken. That way, two people won't have to drop out of the game which would be the case if this policy were changed.

I haven't seen any such notification. Have you?
 Lord Diamond

I got two notifications this turn for the UN and WI saying they had surrendered and were out of the game.

Does that mean that they dropped or were eliminated?

I think Uncle mike might be wrong on the broadcast message about dropped players.

The first UN player in our game 103 dropped and I had no idea about it, but OTHER PLAYERS did somehow.

I didn't get clued in until reading some random forum post. Point is that friends talk so there will almost always be SOME player int he game who knows that someone dropped and therefore the space is open for exploitation. If the whole world doesn't get that message then just the privileged players will benefit.

(06-29-2013, 03:50 AM)Jumbie Wrote: I got two notifications this turn for the UN and WI saying they had surrendered and were out of the game.

I think Uncle mike might be wrong on the broadcast message about dropped players.

The first UN player in our game 103 dropped and I had no idea about it, but OTHER PLAYERS did somehow.

I didn't get clued in until reading some random forum post. Point is that friends talk so there will almost always be SOME player int he game who knows that someone dropped and therefore the space is open for exploitation. If the whole world doesn't get that message then just the privileged players will benefit.

Exactly. The Game Master should send out a broadcast or at least have another player send a broadcast to the rest of the players.
 Lord Diamond

(06-30-2013, 02:41 AM)Lord Diamond Wrote:
(06-29-2013, 03:50 AM)Jumbie Wrote: I got two notifications this turn for the UN and WI saying they had surrendered and were out of the game.

Exactly. The Game Master should send out a broadcast or at least have another player send a broadcast to the rest of the players.

Didn't you just vote in the poll on this subject NOT to have the code drop a player? We're not looking to ADD manual steps for a GM, we're looking to eliminate them. The GM doesn't provide game-specific notes that aren't in a database. That was the poll question: should the program eliminate players with no PC or no emissaries or not, and the voting was inconclusive. I tried to make that clear at least three times, including in the poll itself saying no notification is presently given. Maybe my language skills are diminishing, likely so. Was a surprise to me about the poll results, but it was Cipher's guess.

Anyway, we are now on to other things.