Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Giant Skeleton - Game 101
And so it begins.

There is a similar effect in the Hyborian War community. You cross somebody in one game and they are your enemy in every game henceforth. Similarly, you end up with the same group of players working together in every game, for similar reasons. This is a good reason to have games with team victory conditions, to force us to work with people we might not otherwise get to know and force us to be enemies with people who me might ordinarily like to ally with each game. And it would be nice if there was room for 'role-playing' the Witchlord or the Underworld or if a transgression could be limited to the confines of a single game. Someone crosses you and you burn their PCs to the ground and make it so that neither of you can win. That seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Clearly the Giant player shouldn't have asked for the location of your pop center if there was any chance he would renege on the deal. In his dealings with the other player, he should have said, I already made a deal and this village is off limits to me. On the other hand, once the two deals were incompatible, he did the right thing by letting you know. Still, hard to imagine there was no place else he could hit besides that particular village on turn 2. Poor judgement on his part, at the very least, not to save that village for later when the betrayal might not be so fresh.

I would caution players not to get too bent out of shape about in-game betrayals. This is a war game, after all, with an emphasis on the game part.
Silent One

If he hires an HP T1 and divines.... Villages... seems odd. If he divines Towns THEN Villages he just divined Villages same turn he's on your OO-

Personally, I don't care and wouldn't have revealed info either way-

In game 100 turn 0-1 I divined Towns then asked a player where his T was so I didn't move my units there and waste my time- If that player chose to not tell me where his pc was and I waste orders/$$ then I may take the pc assuming he will move against me soon...

On turn 0 I wouldn't tell anybody where my pc's are unless it's an alliance type of scenario and if someone says it's fair game I know who to attack...

Many thoughts on this thread but I think people are missing the relevant point here.

If you read the giants post (under uncle mike), it says, that the giant player tried to make another arrangement with the other player for the village. It was not conquered in hostility nor with any backstabbing intent but simply that certain events had changed and the village may be needed for something that the giant needs. No big deal.

In fact, from what bluefile2 even said, the giant player gave ADVANCED warning to him that the village is needed. How is that not being honorable? That advanced notice gave bluefile2 a turn or two to make adjustments if necessary. Is giving another player advanced notice of something so that they can prepare or make the relevant changes unhonorable? I think not.

In fact, just the opposite. I would rather work with a player that had the decency of providing advance notice of something so that I may make adjustments.

Another aspect about all of this that hasn't been brought forth yet is what did bluefile2 offer the giant to allow bluefile2 to retain the village? Just because a player starts off with a population center does not mean they are entitled to it for the rest of the game. That is absurd.

Alamaze is all about taking control of pop centers, why is this situation even being discussed on the forum? This whole situation sounds like bluefile2 and the others that agree with him aren't mature enough to be playing this game.

I'm going back to FoR. Better player base and no dweebs that cry about betrayal -- oh, someone took my village, the shame of it, think I'll post it up on the forum for all to laugh at me.

Newb,

I'll attempt to fix your flawed logic later when I have more time.

Are newbie and unclemike the same person?? I detect butthurt.
Maniacal Menace

(04-10-2013, 07:24 PM)bluefile2 Wrote: Newb,

Flawed logic? I don't think so.

bluefile2, when you have more time to think of your ill conceived response, answer this: What did you offer the giant for you to retain that village and why do you think you are entitled to it?

I reiterate from my previous post: Just because a player starts off with a pop center does not necessarily mean that you are entitled to it for the rest of the game. That is absurd.

Honor has nothing to do with it. You're trying to make this about trust but from what I gather, you didn't offer anything in return. That gives the giant free reign in his region. And I wouldn't have been as nice as he was in giving you advanced warning of what he was going to do or for you to make the necessary adjustments. He was honorable -- not you.

In addition, by publicly humiliating another player like you did was against the game and forum rules. In fact, under the forum registration agreement, it says:

START-->By registering on this discussion system you agree that you will not post any material which is knowingly false, inaccurate, abusive, hateful, harassing, sexually orientated, threatening or invasive of a person's privacy, or any other material which may violate any applicable laws.<--END

So with your attempt of publically demeaning another player in the game, you violated the rule of posting "hateful, harassing, ....threatening" messages. Insulting another player's honor does fall under the harassment clause because with a small player base, a player's reputation does matter and is important in establishing relations.

Surprisingly, you and lord thanatos recommend to go on vendettas in subsequent games. That's another violation of the rules (being of "threatening" nature and ruining another player's game).

Furthermore, by publically listing the giant's pop center location, you violated the rule of posting "invasive of a person's privacy".

That makes for THREE violations of the game's and forum's rules. If the game moderator wasn't so busy, you would be gone dude. In other games, you would be flamed by the other players for what you did.

(04-10-2013, 08:02 PM)Maniacal Menace Wrote: Are newbie and unclemike the same person?? I detect butthurt.

Nope. I think IP addresses are stored anyway which makes it impossible to have two accounts. But I could be wrong.

Don't waste your time answering that Bluefile, I didnt even bother reading it. After a quick search, newbie isnt in any game, not currently signed up for any games and has not posted a single other post on the forum except here. Its obviosly someones alter-ego, who is too ashamed to write under his real name.... God, do I LOVE that. As a scientist, I am surrounded by nearly insurmountable egos... but this is so much better even than that... a trolls wet dream.

I should SO play the Troll in the next game !!!
Maniacal Menace

(04-10-2013, 08:15 PM)Maniacal Menace Wrote: Don't waste your time answering that Bluefile, I didnt even bother reading it. After a quick search, newbie isnt in any game, not currently signed up for any games and has not posted a single other post on the forum except here. Its obviosly someones alter-ego, who is too ashamed to write under his real name.... God, do I LOVE that. As a scientist, I am surrounded by nearly insurmountable egos... but this is so much better even than that... a trolls wet dream.

I should SO play the Troll in the next game !!!

I haven't signed up for a game yet. Don't think I will though.

(04-10-2013, 08:10 PM)newbie Wrote:
(04-10-2013, 07:24 PM)bluefile2 Wrote: Newb,

Flawed logic? I don't think so.

bluefile2, when you have more time to think of your ill conceived response, answer this: What did you offer the giant for you to retain that village and why do you think you are entitled to it?

I reiterate from my previous post: Just because a player starts off with a pop center does not necessarily mean that you are entitled to it for the rest of the game. That is absurd.

Honor has nothing to do with it. You're trying to make this about trust but from what I gather, you didn't offer anything in return. That gives the giant free reign in his region. And I wouldn't have been as nice as he was in giving you advanced warning of what he was going to do or for you to make the necessary adjustments. He was honorable -- not you.

In addition, by publicly humiliating another player like you did was against the game and forum rules. In fact, under the forum registration agreement, it says:

START-->By registering on this discussion system you agree that you will not post any material which is knowingly false, inaccurate, abusive, hateful, harassing, sexually orientated, threatening or invasive of a person's privacy, or any other material which may violate any applicable laws.<--END

So with your attempt of publically demeaning another player in the game, you violated the rule of posting "hateful, harassing, ....threatening" messages. Insulting another player's honor does fall under the harassment clause because with a small player base, a player's reputation does matter and is important in establishing relations.

Surprisingly, you and lord thanatos recommend to go on vendettas in subsequent games. That's another violation of the rules (being of "threatening" nature and ruining another player's game).

Furthermore, by publically listing the giant's pop center location, you violated the rule of posting "invasive of a person's privacy".

That makes for THREE violations of the game's and forum's rules. If the game moderator wasn't so busy, you would be gone dude. In other games, you would be flamed by the other players for what you did.

(04-10-2013, 08:02 PM)Maniacal Menace Wrote: Are newbie and unclemike the same person?? I detect butthurt.

Nope. I think IP addresses are stored anyway which makes it impossible to have two accounts. But I could be wrong.

I totally disagree with this post. he is entitled to his opinion, and I think he is totally wrong.

when a player sends email to me and say that he will avoid stepping on my PC, I would consider this as a promise. the first email did not say: I will avoid steping on your pc on condition that you give me something in return.

further more, I dislike the newbie's personality

Aww come on man, don't let a couple of wackos, including myself, keep you from trying a new game. Its really a great game. Smile
Maniacal Menace