Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game of Thrones
Nice seeing the Giant in the first episode Season 3. Nice seeing the dragons growing. BTW, which dragons are female?

What are impressions generally on Game of Thrones and the new season in particular?

I've read the books twice. I have Season One on DVD, but haven't finished it yet. I'll buy Season Two when I do.

I love the series.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

Books 1-3 are among the best I've ever read.

The show is good with great production values. I think I'd enjoy it better having not read those books (It bugs me when they deviate from the books).

I think it's possible the series concludes with the show and GRRM never finishes writing the books.

He is a slow bastard, isn't he? Far too slow for someone his age!
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

(04-03-2013, 04:27 PM)Kalrex Wrote: Books 1-3 are among the best I've ever read.

The show is good with great production values. I think I'd enjoy it better having not read those books (It bugs me when they deviate from the books).

I think it's possible the series concludes with the show and GRRM never finishes writing the books.

My Brother Russ has worried GRR Martin won't finish the work too. For those that don't know, the five books that are out are quite an undertaking for the reader, averaging about 800 pages each. There are hundreds of characters and dozens of subplots. There are supposed to be two more books to complete the work but Martin takes about five years to write a book. His writing is actually better than Tolkien's (sacrilege?) and its much more adult themed.

IMO, its clearly the best television, ever. Previously I would have given that title to the HBO series Rome (probably not surprising to our forum members that I would say so).

Good to see the giant in the series is about 12' tall - midsize for our Stone Giants. Of the three dragons, one is red and one is black. Martin maybe stealing ideas from Alamaze!

I think Deadwood was the best HBO series. Rome was a good one.
Star Trek DS9 too. I watched Lost on Netflix and not a fanboy but I admire it.

Probably though, the best series all time is Twilight Zone. Massive amounts of ideas, lots of future movie stars and great actors, intelligent show.

(04-03-2013, 04:27 PM)Kalrex Wrote: Books 1-3 are among the best I've ever read.

I bought audiobooks for the whole series, but had difficulty listening to them, I guess I was l looking for elements of strategy in this book series but couldn't find such.

what captivates your attention?

(04-03-2013, 05:39 AM)Ry Vor Wrote: Nice seeing the Giant in the first episode Season 3. Nice seeing the dragons growing. BTW, which dragons are female?
What are impressions generally on Game of Thrones and the new season in particular?
All of the dragons are male. Presumably, if someone wants to try breeding them, they'll have to find another egg and see if it can be hatched.
I read the books before the show - I really don't mind when they deviate because it's not all that much and it makes for some nice surprises. The production values are top-notch. I did not expect to see heroic fantasy on the screen in my lifetime done so well - not before LORT showed it was possible.
I imagine you could make a great PBM game out of GOT, but I'm sure the licensing fees would make it not worth it.
I think one of the things I enjoy most about the show is Peter Dinklage. Every actor wants a good role to play, but when you are a little person, you know that most things that come your way are going to be rather limited. He'll never get a role this juicy again - but if I were a young little person, I would be thrilled to have such a role model portrayed on the screen. Okay, I know he sleeps with whores all the time, but he's a kick ass character. Compare that to Tattoo from Fantasy Island - who wants to grow up to be him?

Martin will probably end up pulling a Jordan. He says two more books but I suspect there will be more...and he probably won't finish. Maybe Sanderson will take up that torch as well Smile

As to best TV series: Gotta throw the X-files in there.

I'd love to the Malazan books converted into an HBO series but that might be even more complicated than Martin.

Lord1 wrote: what captivates your attention?

Where to start? Tolkien was praised mainly for creating a believable, rich fantasy world. Classic good vs. evil. Plots and characters not terribly complicated or unexpected.

Martin is a brilliant writer, and I believe what he does best and likes doing best is creating characters. You have to have an appetite for, a tolerance almost, for the amount of exposition. A character who is only in a single scene can still be described in detail so you know where he was born, what his accent is like, what his motivation is, and what scars he has. Characters don't just have dinner, you are told every course they are eating and how it was made (sometimes). He kind of gets into these phases, the food emphasis was bigger in the earlier books than the later ones. But there actually is a Game of Thrones cookbook (not by Martin) out there.

Beyond the characters and exposition, he is a master manipulator of emotion and having his characters do the unexpected. Captain Kirk (or Picard) doesn't die in Star Trek. You just don't know in Game of Thrones. And no one is completely heroic or completely evil. And sometimes virtues lead to downfalls, which you don't typically see in other works.