Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An example of what I would do in a new game if I was...
The Darkelves.

Supposing I've read the rules, gotten familiar with the orders, and everything else...

I find myself as the newest Darkelf ruler!! Cool.

My first decisions are where I want to expand my kingdom. I'm mainly located within the Eastern Steppes. There are however close forested cities and I am ruler of elves after all... I notice that my troops fight well in the Marsh though and Gurisek is a swamp city.

I decide to take the Eastern Steppes, by force if needed.

My assets are my military and good nobles. I also have the added advantage of beginning the game with a High Priestess! What a powerful tool she is...

I decide to divine towns in the Region on turn 0-1 with the Priestess. I also want to figure out if I'm going to use my armies to scout or if I want to consolidate them. If I'm threatened early on it's a good idea to have as much concentrated firepower as possible. A Darkelf army in the forest/marsh is a considerable force. I also would improve my Regional Reaction to Friendly to have maximum political power.

Gurisek is tempting. I could move my Prince/Duke there but what if I do that and someone else shows up? If that occurs then I could move my big army to the City and siege. Better recon the city to see if anybody else is going after it.

Since the city is human controlled (and fortunately no Dwarf/Sorceror nobles showed up) I need to make it neutral and then usurp it. That will require two orders from very good political assets. I can do both on the same turn with 2 different nobles or 1 per turn. Better look at those charts...

I have decent naval power but I'm not the strongest in any of the Sea's. I don't want to risk losing my troops on the water unless I upgrade my fleet/s. If I'm not using them I could sell to get additional revenue...

If I have enough $$ I can train my wizards up and agents.

Other positions might try and foil my plans. I should talk with my neighbors OR have plans in dealing with them...

The Eastern Steppes is a very poor Region. Fortunately Almaren and Zarathon are nearby and my troops fight well in the forestsSmile
Wait a sec. What's this about the cities needing to be made neutral before being usurped? I thought 'human controlled' was just in game lore for 'neutral'.

Can someone clear this up for me?
(04-11-2013, 02:19 AM)Jumbie Wrote: Wait a sec. What's this about the cities needing to be made neutral before being usurped? I thought 'human controlled' was just in game lore for 'neutral'.

Can someone clear this up for me?

It's on all kingdoms' first page of the dossier - that the Humans control all cities, making both political and military actions more difficult.
I read that, but since the humans weren't a playable race/kingdom I though that was just a storyline way of saying the cities were neutral as opposed to the way things used to be (in first cycle?) when the elves started with a city and the Westmen, Dwarves, Sorcerer etc also did.
(04-11-2013, 02:33 AM)Jumbie Wrote: I read that, but since the humans weren't a playable race/kingdom I though that was just a storyline way of saying the cities were neutral as opposed to the way things used to be (in first cycle?) when the elves started with a city and the Westmen, Dwarves, Sorcerer etc also did.

No. All the cities are "controlled" by humans...i.e. same difficulty in taking them politically or militarily as it would be from a player (though you obviously don't have to worry about maintains or regional denigrationSmile)
I have to say , as a new player , I was going under the same assumptions as Jumbie in regards to cities and neutrality. Thankfully this thread popped up before turn 3 orders for 100 and turn 1 orders for 102 were due.

Though some of the rules are a tad confusing I'd have to say the learning curve so far has been much more forgiving ( and I'm having more fun) than my games of Hyborian War. Looks like RSI will be losing out on some of my gaming dollars. Lucky for them I am still addicted to Duelmasters.
It's ALWAYS a good idea to read Kal Rex's threads as far as how to get going...
Ahh yes, I used to love duelmasters. I even went to a convention in New Jersey in the 80's to play in person. BY the way, DA, with your 10% bonus to diplomatic mission, and your starting influence of 12 (right?) your Prince takes a city outright, no need to incite. Raise a level 2 wizard on turn 1, and move your group to the city turn 2 to attempt a diplomacy spell should enemy emmisaries show up there to stymie your efforts. With the enormous amount of emmisaries you have to go after towns, you can probably spare your prince and 1DA to sit at the city for a few turns if neccesary. Indeed.. your prince is so powerful, you may even be able to incite rebellion over the heads of lower level emmisaries that are using status quo against you, do this on the same turn that you gain control of the region through towns, and the city will flip to you. Depending on who you ally with, move your capitol there to gurisek perhaps, as not many will want to trudge through the swamp to get there, unless you really piss them off Smile
Maniacal Menace
Wait, so the city flips to you if you take control of the region (50%)? That means it's acting like it was neutral, not controlled.
The city wouldn't flip unless neutral.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.