Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 100
96 hours seems about right for me given the vagaries of life. Someone's kid comes down sick or an emergency push on a project at work or a basement flood or a vacation out of town and the modern communications speed doesn't matter.

I was just wondering about the vacation thing.

There have been trips where I have gone in the past that I would not have had access to email.

Does anybody else ever run into this? Do you just have an ally kinda finish the turn based on your rough draft?

Hawk

(04-08-2013, 02:49 PM)Hawk_ Wrote: I was just wondering about the vacation thing.

There have been trips where I have gone in the past that I would not have had access to email.

Does anybody else ever run into this? Do you just have an ally kinda finish the turn based on your rough draft?

Hawk

I have all my e-mails sent to my cell phone. Then when my wife sees me re-reading my turn results for the umpteenth time she smiles and rolls her eyes remembering all those years ago when I promised her that I had no intention of ever growing up.

I will be in Chicago for a week in the middle of April and will simply have to use my cell phone to enter orders. My fat fingers may cause a mistake or two, but you good folks won't have to wait on me.

Anyhow, Kalrex is right that once we veterans start playing multiple games there won't be so much impatience to get our "game fix."

Still, it takes a few consecutive results to see the effect of strategic decisions played out. For that reason, I think 48 hours or 72 hours are much better time frames for results.
Lord Thanatos

I just got mine in and I find 96 hours is how much I need to get satisfactory communications back from everyone and then decide on the best course of action.

(04-08-2013, 03:13 PM)Lord Thanatos Wrote: Still, it takes a few consecutive results to see the effect of strategic decisions played out. For that reason, I think 48 hours or 72 hours are much better time frames for results.

I had to read this a couple of times and double check the author. I would have expected LT to go towards 12 hour turns before considering something over 48!

C

(04-08-2013, 02:49 PM)Hawk_ Wrote: I was just wondering about the vacation thing.

Hawk

I don't take vacations, but I do my medieval stuff almost every weekend (I am in a medieval re-creation group called the Society for Creative Anachronism) so there are times when I am out of connection with civilization for up to a week.

72 hours is probably a good middle ground.

(04-08-2013, 03:20 PM)Cipher Wrote:
(04-08-2013, 03:13 PM)Lord Thanatos Wrote: Still, it takes a few consecutive results to see the effect of strategic decisions played out. For that reason, I think 48 hours or 72 hours are much better time frames for results.

I had to read this a couple of times and double check the author. I would have expected LT to go towards 12 hour turns before considering something over 48!

C

You are correct Cipher. I am attempting to learn how to compromise. 96 hours just seemed to severely abuse my earnest efforts. Smile
Lord Thanatos

(04-08-2013, 08:51 PM)Lord Thanatos Wrote:

C

You are correct Cipher. I am attempting to learn how to compromise. 96 hours just seemed to severely abuse my earnest efforts. Smile

Folks, the polls still show more than 50% are favoring 96 hours or more. With that, and all the stuff your humble staff at EAE is addressing to make Alamaze all it can be, and with the fact that unlike Fall of Rome, Alamaze requires TLC and human blood, so to speak, we think 96 hours, which we also believe is about 72 hours shorter than any so-called competition, is where we will stay for the time being.

As we have said, if we start to see ALL players submitting turns a day early, likely we will have a day earlier turn cycle, for that game.

Once again, we are happy everyone is enjoying the rebirth of Alamaze, and I'm sure everyone will want to tell their friends about it. Still funny, sort of, to think all this is after just one turn of Alamaze.

Or for those that saw the movie American Gangster - Blue Magic.

(04-08-2013, 09:38 PM)Ry Vor Wrote:
(04-08-2013, 08:51 PM)Lord Thanatos Wrote:

C

Folks, the polls still show more than 50% are favoring 96 hours or more. With that, and all the stuff your humble staff at EAE is addressing to make Alamaze all it can be, and with the fact that unlike Fall of Rome, Alamaze requires TLC and human blood, so to speak, we think 96 hours, which we also believe is about 72 hours shorter than any so-called competition, is where we will stay for the time being.

As we have said, if we start to see ALL players submitting turns a day early, likely we will have a day earlier turn cycle, for that game.

Once again, we are happy everyone is enjoying the rebirth of Alamaze, and I'm sure everyone will want to tell their friends about it. Still funny, sort of, to think all this is after just one turn of Alamaze.

Or for those that saw the movie American Gangster - Blue Magic.

Somebody must advocate for the other (slightly less than) 50%.

And for the record, there is no competition with the superb game Alamaze is.

I will acknowledge that I am no mathematician, but it appears that a 40 turn game processed every four days takes 160 days or roughly 5 1/2 months. A 40 turn game processed every three days takes 120 days or roughly 4 months. Therefore, for you slow players [slow to submit turns, not slow in thought - of course] it amounts to the difference between two consecutive games in a calendar year or three consecutive games.

Since our fee is a monthly fee, the more games we play every year the better it is from a consumer standpoint! Smile [I now assume that any new players will be here for years!!!] Also, I believe a shorter game cycle will reduce the chances of players dropping their positions to get into a new game based upon their Service Level. This is better from a competitive standpoint.

And finally, if I don't have my turn results by midnight PST tonight I will be forced to call a psychiatrist to help me contain my (entirely appropriate) homicidal tendencies! Smile We certainly don't want Alamaze players using their disposable income for anything other than Alamaze now do we? Smile

Just my two cents on behalf of the brave minority understandably convinced that our second turn will actually NEVER run. After all, 96 hours is a whole 5760 minutes, which is truly 345,600 seconds. Now doesn't that just sound like an eternity?
Lord Thanatos