Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 5632 Yo La Tengo?
As Unclemike indicated the DK kingdom is more than just its special ability.

I believe it to be a good military kingdom that matches up favorably with the Ranger troops. Matching up favorable to the Ranger troops is no small thing. The Ranger has an awesome military. We will see if my assessment is correct. While the DK and RA have good troops I don't think anyone would compare them to the RD or GI troops. The DK and RA are a step behind. To the warmongering Ranger, yes I expected to engage in many battles.

That being said the DK also has very formidable magic capabilities. It will be interesting to see if I can develop those capabilities with two other Kingdoms invading my home region.

I expressed that the plague type ability seems a bit underwhelming to me. Keep in mind I had not fully understood the impact. It still confuses me how a pop center that losses 2/3s of its population still produces the same as full population. I agree that a corresponding reduction in production may have made the ability overpowered but there is no logic in the current effects.

Keeping in mind my ignorance of the actual effect of the special power, my approach to the game was to send brigades to the surrounding regions. This had multiple effects. 1. as expected it upset my neighbors. 2. It slowed down the investigation of my own region. While I anticipated this and had hoped to make up for this disadvantage with agents. The agents could not match the pace of 3 or 4 groups searching for pop centers.

Once it became clear that the plague effect was less impactful then I had anticipated, I brought most of my brigades home. Unfortunately this transpired as the FF choose to join the RA in my home region.

I will have a good opportunity to test the mettle of the DK troops.

(09-14-2022, 03:34 PM)gkmetty Wrote: I believe it to be a good military kingdom that matches up favorably with the Ranger troops.  Matching up favorable to the Ranger troops is no small thing.  The Ranger has an awesome military. We will see if my assessment is correct.  While the DK and RA have good troops I don't think anyone would compare them to the RD or GI troops.  The DK and RA are a step behind.  To the warmongering Ranger, yes I expected to engage in many battles.

This is T8 and you have been there from the beginning.  The(RA) as opposed to the (EL) should have been a clue as to the identity. Not upset, I too think these to kingdoms are comparable.  That ability will hurt kingdoms that rely on pop recruiting over summoned troops the most.  I was actually just testing the RA against the DK, I chose after you, I'm not too concerned about winning or placing, I wanted to know how those troops recruit and perform is why I chose the RA and entered your region. If you want to calm the boarder and build your position a few turns I will return to my region. I just want a turn notice when your ready so we can have some group battles. :Smile was thinking about taking DK in the future.

(09-14-2022, 03:34 PM)gkmetty Wrote: As Unclemike indicated the DK kingdom is more than just its special ability.

I believe it to be a good military kingdom that matches up favorably with the Ranger troops.  Matching up favorable to the Ranger troops is no small thing.  The Ranger has an awesome military. We will see if my assessment is correct.  While the DK and RA have good troops I don't think anyone would compare them to the RD or GI troops.  The DK and RA are a step behind.  To the warmongering Ranger, yes I expected to engage in many battles.

That being said the DK also has very formidable magic capabilities. It will be interesting to see if I can develop those capabilities with two other Kingdoms invading my home region.

I expressed that the plague type ability seems a bit underwhelming to me.  Keep in mind I had not fully understood the impact.  It still confuses me how a pop center that losses 2/3s of its population still produces the same as full population.  I agree that a corresponding reduction in production may have made the ability overpowered but there is no logic in the current effects.

Keeping in mind my ignorance of the actual effect of the special power, my approach to the game was to send brigades to the surrounding regions.  This had multiple effects. 1. as expected it upset my neighbors. 2. It slowed down the investigation of my own region.  While I anticipated this and had hoped to make up for this disadvantage with agents.  The agents could not match the pace of 3 or 4 groups searching for pop centers.

Once it became clear that the plague effect was less impactful then I had anticipated, I brought most of my brigades home.  Unfortunately this transpired as the FF choose to join the RA in my home region.

I will have a good opportunity to test the mettle of the DK troops.

I look forward to hearing how it turns out , I also considered giving them a try, so thank you for piloting them. I’ll trade your RA fight for GI fight!

(09-14-2022, 04:49 PM)PTRILEY Wrote:
(09-14-2022, 03:34 PM)gkmetty Wrote: I believe it to be a good military kingdom that matches up favorably with the Ranger troops.  Matching up favorable to the Ranger troops is no small thing.  The Ranger has an awesome military. We will see if my assessment is correct.  While the DK and RA have good troops I don't think anyone would compare them to the RD or GI troops.  The DK and RA are a step behind.  To the warmongering Ranger, yes I expected to engage in many battles.

This is T8 and you have been there from the beginning.  The(RA) as opposed to the (EL) should have been a clue as to the identity. Not upset, I too think these to kingdoms are comparable.  That ability will hurt kingdoms that rely on pop recruiting over summoned troops the most.  I was actually just testing the RA against the DK, I chose after you, I'm not too concerned about winning or placing, I wanted to know how those troops recruit and perform is why I chose the RA and entered your region. If you want to calm the boarder and build your position a few turns I will return to my region. I just want a turn notice when your ready so we can have some group battles. :Smile was thinking about taking DK in the future.
You misunderstood.  I thought your kingdom was in Darkover.  I knew which regions I sent my troops too.  I just did not recognize which kingdoms owned which regions.  I made a mistake on the forum.

I have no regrets.  I tried a new kingdom to see how it would work.  I knew the approach I chose would upset my neighbors.  I am interested in your thoughts as the RA does rely somewhat on recruiting from pop centers.  Your actions are what I expected and what I would have done.  We will have an opportunity to test our troops against each other.

(09-14-2022, 06:10 PM)gkmetty Wrote:
(09-14-2022, 04:49 PM)PTRILEY Wrote:

You misunderstood.  I thought your kingdom was in Darkover.  I knew which regions I sent my troops too.  I just did not recognize which kingdoms owned which regions.  I made a mistake on the forum.

I have no regrets.  I tried a new kingdom to see how it would work.  I knew the approach I chose would upset my neighbors.  I am interested in your thoughts as the RA does rely somewhat on recruiting from pop centers.  Your actions are what I expected and what I would have done.  We will have an opportunity to test our troops against each other.
Sounds good.. I suspect we are going to be very close on ability,

(09-14-2022, 02:55 PM)Brekk Wrote: LY --> Gi

My large friends lets discuss this invasion do you really want to take us both out of the game so early ? When the early game is our best opportunity to conquer easier prey?  My troops cannot hope to match yours but I can promise you they are strong enough to destroy every village and town in both our regions leaving us both out of the game, so lets reach an agreement or  I promise not a village or town will stand to feed your gigantic appetites

GI-LY

What do you propose?

R

Hey Unclemike, the DK are trying to recruit Knights of Styx into my 1st group that has a general+ and a veteran brigade, from a pop center in Nyvaria with 25k population, and I am getting the following error message ORDER #560: INVALID BRIGADE TYPE (KS) FOR OUR KINGDOM (560 1DK KS)

(09-14-2022, 09:27 PM)Ruingurth Wrote:

My large friends lets discuss this invasion do you really want to take us both out of the game so early ? When the early game is our best opportunity to conquer easier prey?  My troops cannot hope to match yours but I can promise you they are strong enough to destroy every village and town in both our regions leaving us both out of the game, so lets reach an agreement or  I promise not a village or town will stand to feed your gigantic appetites

GI-LY

What do you propose?

R
You leave my region, I will retake what you have taken.  In exchange I will pay you 20k food or 10k gold a turn for 3 turns, after which point it will be up to you how our kingdoms interact Smile.  Feel free to counter.

Sigh - even when I make a posts with a bunch of alliterative F's, I still get taken seriously. The truth is that I always roleplay my kingdoms to some extent and in my estimation, the Fairy King would be horrified by a plague that was killing everybody inside their kingdom and would be motivated to remove such a scourge from the land once and for all. From a practical standpoint, one of my groups accidently strayed over the border in an early turn because of a mistyped coordinate and discovered a pop center by chance so that lead me in the general area.

But also, from a gaming standpoint, I'm not sure why you are complaining when you freely admit you were taking an action that you felt would tick me off. It wasn't just that you left a group in my region, you were blocking the town from me moving anybody into it, which delayed me getting full control. I interpreted this as a hostile action and figured that I should move to rough you up quickly before the plague came back. No, it wouldn't stop me from recruiting but it offends my ruler's 'be one with nature' soul. And the area I have invaded is a forest, which give my hordes of sissy troops their best chance of doing well in battle.

(09-14-2022, 10:52 PM)Brekk Wrote:
(09-14-2022, 09:27 PM)Ruingurth Wrote:

GI-LY

What do you propose?

R
You leave my region, I will retake what you have taken.  In exchange I will pay you 20k food or 10k gold a turn for 3 turns, after which point it will be up to you how our kingdoms interact Smile.  Feel free to counter.

GI-LY

Sounds like a plan I will leave your region this turn. And we could start to trade next turn. I choose the 20K Food

R