Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I see you Steel
(04-12-2021, 12:02 PM)Lord Garth Wrote: As Pine says above, 2 games is probably my limit.  But I like this idea.  One game I am in now has every kingdom with a hidden pop so this might be a nice change.  Plus, I want to make fun of every player who was too scared to join this game.

I'll take 3

AHEM, I think a little horn tooting is in order here... Fear would not be my reason to pass on this game... I routinely play the HA (top player), willingly played the SA (top player) the TY (only win) and the EL (top player).  I love a challenge... but without the hidden capitol kingdoms these hard to play kingdoms are less challenging.
3. Lord Garth
4. Ruingruth
5. Cosmic Wizard
6. Windstar
12. Keeope
1. Senior Tactician
3. Lord Garth
4. Ruingruth
5. Cosmic Wizard
6. Windstar
12. Keeope

I guess I'll jump in.

This is as good a place as any, I guess, to remind everyone of this:

These kingdoms have never WON game: HA, DW, CI, BL
These kingdoms have never even PLACED: EL, SA
(04-12-2021, 04:30 PM)Senior Tactician Wrote: 1. Senior Tactician
3. Lord Garth
4. Ruingruth
5. Cosmic Wizard
6. Windstar
12. Keeope

I guess I'll jump in.

This is as good a place as any, I guess, to remind everyone of this:

These kingdoms have never WON game: HA, DW, CI, BL
These kingdoms have never even PLACED: EL, SA

maybe these kingdoms should be tweaked and upgraded to be more competitive somehow? more gold at start? hidden capital? extra adept? extra baron? extra brigade? or combo or the for mentioned things. nothing that would change it drastically but something . I would love to have 24 even kingdoms to picks rather than the chosen ones that get selected 90% of the time. Might even get more people to play more often? I know for new players they got extra gold one game. maybe this game these unwanted ones get and extra 20K gold at start up this game even?
I'm not sure there have really been enough maelstrom games to determine which kingdoms (if any) need tweaking.  My guess is that main difference between hard to play and easy to play kingdoms is wizard potential.  With wizards, it is easy to build a very nice economy without conquering your neighbor.  Without wizards its tough, even with the devout trait.  I've been meaning to try building a nice single-region economy with a devout low-wizard potential kingdom (like SA), but haven't gotten around to it... maybe this game.

Also, I don't really see any reason why the EL has not placed... I think its just bad game circumstances.
(04-13-2021, 04:22 PM)Senior Tactician Wrote: I'm not sure there have really been enough maelstrom games to determine which kingdoms (if any) need tweaking.  My guess is that main difference between hard to play and easy to play kingdoms is wizard potential.  With wizards, it is easy to build a very nice economy without conquering your neighbor.  Without wizards its tough, even with the devout trait.  I've been meaning to try building a nice single-region economy with a devout low-wizard potential kingdom (like SA), but haven't gotten around to it... maybe this game.

Also, I don't really see any reason why the EL has not placed... I think its just bad game circumstances.

Funny, I think the elf is selected most of the time close to last, meaning the owner probably had a desired region.   Which in turn means a region coveted by others.   Maybe they just get hit to early to develop?  They are pretty much extremely balanced, and as such, probably being developed evenly, which takes longer?  Idk
Dutch auction(sp.?) for undesired kingdoms? Each game kingdom doesn't get chosen gets +5000 gold/game not taken. I'd take SA +100,000 gold. Heck, I took them at +0 gold.
A little blunt, but dynamic, tool.

Not sure about EL. Need to play them.
If I remember correctly, the main problem with the EL is no summon death and no undead summons.  Bounty at 5 though, like wizard kingdoms, and their kingdom brigades are powerful and I think have healing, just no companions either, you need to recruit from PCs.  I think I wrote a piece on the elves... "the elves go nowhere fast."  In general section.

Might be a balancing act getting the right region for the elves.  The only human recruits, from PCs, that give good bonuses are the Zamorans (10% moral) and the westmen (10% defense vs archers phases, including PC).  So, you'd like to get a region you can recruit these troops, but also has abundant forest, which the elves seriously dominate.

I tried Vikings with the elves one time, worked OK, was able to conquer legendary (old rules) but no summon death means watch out for other armies with summon death.
(04-13-2021, 06:11 PM)Senior Tactician Wrote: If I remember correctly, the main problem with the EL is no summon death and no undead summons.  Bounty at 5 though, like wizard kingdoms, and their kingdom brigades are powerful and I think have healing, just no companions either, you need to recruit from PCs.  I think I wrote a piece on the elves... "the elves go nowhere fast."  In general section.

Might be a balancing act getting the right region for the elves.  The only human recruits, from PCs, that give good bonuses are the Zamorans (10% moral) and the westmen (10% defense vs archers phases, including PC).  So, you'd like to get a region you can recruit these troops, but also has abundant forest, which the elves seriously dominate.

I tried Vikings with the elves one time, worked OK, was able to conquer legendary (old rules) but no summon death means watch out for other armies with summon death.

seems like the elves need a few better companions and maybe they are in a good place maybe? kingdoms with only 3 companions are tougher I think to build armies.
 maybe a new thread needs to be started about potential ways to even all kingdoms for game master to contemplate updating in future? as for this silent game we have 6 so far.
1. Senior Tactician
2. Lord Thanatos
3. Lord Garth
4. Ruingruth
5. Cosmic Wizard
6. Windstar
12. Keeope

There are 8 hidden capitals and HA has hidden villages. Here is your list:
AM, AN, AT, DE, DU, HA, IL, PI, UN

Sounds like great fun. I do NOT like spending orders finding hidden pcs.
Lord Thanatos