Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5531 Rex by DU turn 39- write up to follow
Victory By Rex Is The Druid Kingdom!
                           Game End Status Points

Place Kingdom    Player                Results-39  Grand Total

1     DU     Pine Needle               69,709     101,842
          2     BL     The Painted Man           34,480      55,739
          3     PI     HabeusCorpus              25,893      55,315
          4     RA     Lord Garth                31,680      54,971
          5     IL     Keeope                    13,410      25,488
          6     GN     Runigruth                 11,600      22,400

4th place by 344 points!! Argghh!!

Congrats, Pine Needle on a decisive win. This was my first game back since the 2nd cycle, or about the early 90's. And of course I wind up going up against some Status Point leader on my first time out. (I'm looking at you, Painted!) I think I did alright and held my own, but alot of it was luck because I made a Ton of mistakes.

Food is useful now. Who knew? Forged weapons, never got em. The political system works different. Arghh! Overall, the upgrades made for Maelstrom seem overwhelmingly positive. New orders, like making buildings and fortifications! That's huge. Better military transfer orders that make things Way easier. New kingdoms! There is a Pirate and Atlantians and a halfling kingdom that seems actually functional and competitive. New spells like Dire Wolf, Nazgul, Kraken, and Crack the Sky. (never got that one) and some missing spells. Where did Locate character or group go? Also, I wish I figured out what Eagle familiar did earlier.

Sure I'm a bit nostalgic for Torvale and Giants but the new map is good too and I'm looking forward to new kingdoms. One thing I miss is the kingdom troop composition on your setup. ( oh i got 400 archers! Damn 300 are skirmishers. Oh I got 100 guards infantry!) I would also highly recommend a centralized place to get info. Going to 3rd cycle rules to do your orders, then checking with 2 sets of updates and then the forums is damn frustrating for a 'new' player. I'm sure the vets have no problem but User Friendly is always a good thing.

And Painted? So you know, I had a "3BL killer" group built but could never peg where you were going. I finally guessed right at DR ..... but inputted the order wrong and wound up in the wild. Damn shame. The battle would have been fantastic.

Congrats again, Pine. And thanks for the game, guys. I'll see you out there soon.

Congratz Pine, and nice showing by the BL, best yet I think.  Eager to hear about this game.  Nice showing by a returning player too, nice game Garth

LORD Garth

(04-01-2021, 05:35 AM)Lord Garth Wrote: 4th place by 344 points!!   Argghh!!

Congrats, Pine Needle on a decisive win.  This was my first game back since the 2nd cycle, or about the early 90's.  And of course I wind up going up against some Status Point leader on my first time out.  (I'm looking at you, Painted!)  I think I did alright and held my own, but alot of it was luck because I made a Ton of mistakes.  

Food is useful now.  Who knew?  Forged weapons, never got em.  The political system works different.  Arghh!  Overall, the upgrades made for Maelstrom seem overwhelmingly positive.   New orders, like making buildings and fortifications!  That's huge. Better military transfer orders that make things Way easier.   New kingdoms!  There is a Pirate and Atlantians and a halfling kingdom that seems actually functional and competitive.  New spells like Dire Wolf, Nazgul, Kraken, and Crack the Sky.  (never got that one) and some missing spells.  Where did Locate character or group go?   Also, I wish I figured out what Eagle familiar did earlier.  

Sure I'm a bit nostalgic for Torvale and Giants but the new map is good too and I'm looking forward to new kingdoms.  One thing I miss is the kingdom troop composition on your setup.  ( oh i got 400 archers!  Damn 300 are skirmishers.  Oh I got 100 guards infantry!)   I would also highly recommend a centralized place to get info.  Going to 3rd cycle rules to do your orders, then checking with 2 sets of updates and then the forums is damn frustrating for a 'new' player.  I'm sure the vets have no problem but User Friendly is always a good thing.

And Painted?  So you know, I had a "3BL killer" group built but could never peg where you were going.  I finally guessed right at DR ..... but inputted the order wrong and wound up in the wild.   Damn shame.  The battle would have been fantastic.

Congrats again, Pine.  And thanks for the game, guys.  I'll see you out there soon.
Lord Garth mentioned the loss of the hidden character spell.  This was sometimes being used almost like an exploit.  I recall a third cycle team game where a player with a hidden capital took a village with a character in the early turns and by locating the character the hidden capital location was revealed.  When that happens on turn 5 it can be a game changer.

Fought the DE first, his early push was met by at least three kingdoms (GN, DU and ?), then the SO, then the PI and GN. Avoided the Ranger, the BL and IL. Good game everyone.

Here’s the story of my 9 turn battle with the 4th Pirate 44 brigade group…

It was in the early winter of 1204, when the legendary leader of Queen Acergenerix’ armies first heard word of the most massive army yet seen in Alamaze.
The Druid forces had done well thus far, defeating Demon Princes forces in Zanthia to establish a strong base at Destiny’s End and taking most of the valuable cites in Zamora from the Dark Elf King who vanished after a lightning strike. The Gnome King in Zanthia surely wasn’t happy with the Druid’s expansion but was not yet declaring war, after all, the Druid forces had merely repulsed Demon invaders.

The Warlord Velia Eagle Eye was leading the war against the Sorceror in Pellinor, but reports from other regions were troubling. The Pirate King controlled three regions, but the city of Stormgate was still in Druid hands. Velia quickly drafted a plan to send to his Queen for approval. Stormgate would soon be under assault, but from the island, Velia could quickly strike at the Pirate in Nyvaria and the Sea of Azure. The island had to be held.

He dug through old intelligence reports- here it was… the pirate sea capital- unfortified as of 9 months ago. Perhaps the old sea crook still relied on his ships and would miss an invisible Druid strike force led by Sirian Bluewood, a middling youth of azure complexion.

The next month brought the worst news…

While Velia personally lead the successful assault on the Sorceror capital, the plan to strike the Pirate went horribly awry- a Kraken with no name but a distinct smell of rum struck the 4th Druid defeating its invisibility with cephalapodian genius, followed by a Pirate intercepting fleet, presumably tracking the still invisible fleet by noticing blood and cracked bits of wood in the surf, to engage and maul Sirian’s fleet. He stumbled to the Pirate sea capital only to find a leaderless group of swarthy reinforcements assembled at its gates. 10 stout Druid brigades fell to the bottom of the Tempest but young Sirian survived to lead two small brigades to an offensive position outside the Pirate capital. “I can take them!” he said with foolish bravado. Velia hoped only that the surviving wizards accompanying Sirian could make it to dry land alive knowing the Pirate capital could not be taken by such a fool.

But worse, as if anticipating the welterweight blow, the Pirate’s pride 4th Army Group arrived at Stormgate, a 44 brigade force of certain intentions, lead by the Warlord Rapier and his able lieutenant One Eyed Pete.

Velia knew immediately that the fate of his kingdom would rise or fall inversely with that of this force. The Pirate King knew this as well as he taunted the beautiful Queen Acergenerix, “You have plenty of troops and ships at the bottom of the ocean ... come try again if you would like. Come in pleasure or don't come. No innuendo intended.” He wrote. Velia researched the meaning of the word “innuendo” then proceeded to write his queen a poem about the joy of centaur colts prancing in the forest in summer.

In late winter the next month Stormgate fell, with the Pirate force taking Stormgate with middling casualties. Velia defeated the remaining Sorceror brigades, but Acergenerix didn’t notice. Sirian, and the wizards under his “leadership”, escaped from certain death, as if invisible.

Velia decided to draw the Pirates out into Pellinor while his Queen laid the political plans necessary to cement his military victory noting the Pirate now had only 33 brigades. Velia noted One Eyed Pete was now a leader of legendary ability, rivaling his own considerable skills. “Why am I surrounded by morons?” He thought out loud, looking at his captain Sirian sketching pictures of invisible ships being destroyed by a Kraken.

By late Spring 1204 (34), the Gnome was no longer friendly and had found the Druid capital in Sword Coast. Acergenerix relocated it to the sea just in time as a Gnome army group arrived to assault the legendary castle the next turn. Rapier and One Eyed Pete completed expelled the Druid from Stormgate, stealing Cornocopia which the Druid had rightfully earlier stole from the Black Dragon.

Velia’s recruitment, however, had so drained Stormgate of able bodies that control of the region now turned on this village, defenseless against all but the weakest kingdoms.
Velia opened the sealed letter from his Queen- next month the plan would go into place and victory would follow in the summer (36).
Again, with good news from his Queen, Velia saw the Gnome army did not take the Druid former capital and took horrific losses- he would not be a military threat again. Stormgate fell to Velia, who saw many young soldiers ready to join the Druid armies- the Pirate’s food coupon program had substantially raised the population.
And now, to victory!!!!!!

The 4th Pirate, however, would need to be defeated to safeguard the victory, a fact the Queen ignored.
Velia knew before he heard- the next month the Pirate retook Stormgate despite a dome of invulnerability and stopped the Queen’s victory. “Let me engage him” he pleaded his Queen, and she, acquiescing, sent him to Stormgate to fight Once against One Eyed Pete One on One Once and For all.

In addition, she thought, I will send Sirian Bluewood (love that guy) to Stormgate with my best wizards. Velia needs some help.

That turn, Velia and Rapier engaged, just after two waves of green death decimated the 4th Pirate. Velia slew Rapier, one on one, and but noted more reinforcements in the air above him. “Bats!” he said, “I don’t need them.” Velia stuck his fatal rapier in Rapier fatally, visons of meadows, Queen Acergenerix and baby centaurs in his mind.

Gritting his teeth with finality, the next month, Velia faced One Eyed Pete. He looked him in his one eye, then said “release arrows”, and arrows filled One Eyed Pete like a Pirata. “Now my queen will appreciate me.” He noted with certainty.

But alas, sad as a patrol stealing an artifact from your army…

As Velia left the battlefield, Warlord Sirian approached him with a letter from Acergenerix. “Good job, Velia. You are now second in command of the Third Druid. Do everything you can to support Sirian in the assault of Stormgate next month,” she wrote.

The next month Sirian captured Stormgate, Acergenerix declared victory and they all rode off on centaurs into the forest.

The end,

P.S. Cliff’s notes
1) Had two early reversals but that was it until the Kraken episode. First, I cast bounty on Zamora by mistake when down there to grab an artifact (which cost me a level two and was only a lousy ward ring). This was Uncle Mike’s DA region, so maybe he didn’t make fun of me to keep the customer satisfied. Second, the Amazon in Krynn went after DA then dropped early, so in the resulting power vacuum I tried to train brigades against a town and bounced, but I think I got an elite brigade so it was a wash.
2)DA dropped leaving Zamora and a choice developed city with gold aplenty mine for the taking. I took the best parts (like the sea towns, but left regional control to my victory push).
3) The “backrub” Kraken is gone. This one has teeth. Good rule change, powers that be.
4) battle report the the 4th PI vs 3rd DU. Note- 2 summon deaths before this:

Battle between the 3rd Druid army group and the 4th Pirates army group in the plains of
area NP:

Druid Pirates

Commanders
Warlord Velia Eagle Eye Warlord Gold Rapier
Lord Commander Evan Wolfeyes Warlord One Eyed Pete
Captain Eagle of Light Marshal Blackfin

Wizards
Power-9 Starbringer Power-6 Kaladon
Power-7 Merlin the Elder Power-6 Landis Quickly
Power-6 Zin Kasan Power-5 Eklar
Brigades
2 Hill Giants Elite 1 Pirates Elit
3 Stormgate Guard Elite 2 Hill Giants Elite
1 Stormgate Guard Veteran 3 Knights of Styx Regula
Mammoths Elite 1 Wildlings Elite
1 Mammoths Veteran 8 Nyvarians Elite
2 Minotaurs Elite 5 Nyvarians Veteran
1 Centaurs Elite 1 Nyvarians Regular
1 Centaurs Veteran

Combat Factors
Forged Armor Forged Armor
Forged Weaponry Forged Weaponry
Excellent Leaders Renowned Leaders
Light Attrition

Tactical Selection
Standard Battle Plan Hold At All Costs

Rumbling by the 4th Pirates Hill Giants caused fear among the ranks of their enemy. The
3rd Druid morale was boosted due to the valor of the Minotaur brigades. Rumbling by the
3rd Druid Hill Giants caused fear among the ranks of their enemy. The thundering stomping
by the 3rd Druid Mammoths caused fear among the ranks of their enemy. Early in the day,
the 3rd Druid army group raced to engage the defensive position of the 4th Pirates army
group led by Warlord Gold Rapier. As the attackers advanced through the green fields, the
first missiles sang out.

- Long Range Missilers -

Long range missilers from both sides joined the fray and fired their arrows. The Druid
lines dealt out minor damage upon the Pirates forces in return, the Pirates imposed light
damage to their foes.

- Short Range Missilers -

The short range Druid varied missile troops including even birds of prey swooping down and
the bows and other missilers of the Pirates force initiated their attack. The Druid forces
dealt out minor damage upon the Pirates lines in return, the Pirates dealt out minor
damage to their foes.

- Magic -

Druid mages dismounted scarcely beyond the range of defending bowmen and began an
elaborate incantation. Starbringer's presence was evident. Sonic blasts shot forth from
him. Power-9 wizard Starbringer incanted in a low forceful tone. Cloaked hood to foot and
masked in black unleashed an awesome array of magical effects, the combination of which
has seldom been matched. The sky above seemed to crack asunder, causing great fear among
the enemy ranks. Then from the sky fissure there issued strong tornado winds, down upon
the enemy. From this awesome display, the enemy was thrown into chaos, inhibiting their
ability to retreat. The presence of an opposing warlord prevented the chaos spell's
effects! Merlin the Elder likewise had his presence be known in similar manner. Power-7
wizard Merlin the Elder began sorcerous incantations in an unknown tongue. A faintly
visible blue shimmering began to surround the troops and noticeably lessened the
effectiveness of the arrows of the defenders. Zin Kasan likewise had his presence be known
in similar fashion. Pirates wizards dismounted barely past where the defensive missiles
were falling and began an elaborate incantation. Incanting forcibly Kaladon's presence
power altered the course of the engagement. Sonic blasts shot forth from him. Power-6
wizard Kaladon slowly spoke in an arcane language, gestures building to a crescendo. A
light sparkling mist seemed to fall briefly over the troops, and then they grew clearly
more intrepid. Landis Quickly also let his presence be seen in similar fashion. Eklar
likewise had his presence be known in similar fashion. Power-5 wizard Eklar while
seemingly detached from all else, seemed to draw within himself and began to incant. A
dark mist seemed to fall briefly over enemy lines, and then they grew clearly more fearful
of the battle. The Druid lines inflicted light losses upon the Pirates forces in return,
the Pirates caused light losses to their enemy.

- Artifact -

Waving in the wind, the Renowned Standard bolstered the Pirates troops with hope during
the battle. By raising Anglakel, Sword from the Sky, Druid Warlord Velia Eagle Eye infused
his troops with boldness and caused alarm in the minds of the Pirates leaders as the
magical sword slew enemy forces. By raising Morgal Blade, Druid Warlord Velia Eagle Eye
infused his troops with boldness and caused alarm in the minds of the Pirates leaders as
the magical dagger slew enemy forces. By raising Narsil, Flame of the West, Druid Warlord
Velia Eagle Eye infused his troops with boldness and caused alarm in the minds of the
Pirates leaders as the magical sword slew enemy forces. By raising the Sword of Alvinitar,
Druid Warlord Velia Eagle Eye infused his troops with boldness while the Pirates leaders
flinched as the magical sword slew enemy forces.

- Charge -

The outcome of the battle was still very much in doubt. Quickly, Warlord Velia Eagle Eye
led the Druid elephants and rhinos were among the riders down upon the obscenity shouting
drunken brawlers of the Pirates. The Druid lines claimed light damage upon the Pirates
forces in response, the Pirates caused light damage to their enemy.

- Melee -

The battle had favored the Druid kingdom and their force seemed to wear down their enemy.
Steel gleamed brightly, as the masses of foot soldiers sprang to the ready, and then
charged forth with a roar, engaging in battle which took many proud lives. The Druid light
infantry confronted the Pirates mixed forces of foot soldiers to determine the outcome of
the battle. The Druid lines inflicted light losses upon the Pirates ranks while the
Pirates caused light losses to their foes.

- Combined -

Hour after hour passed, yet none could tell which side would be the victor since both
forces were evenly matched. Despite all that had preceeded at this moment, the battle
outcome was still in doubt. Now all remaining troops of all types hurled themselves into
the thick of battle to settle matters in decisive fashion. Victory had yet to take sides
in this epic struggle: Yet more hour killing hours passed, and these saw all the weary
lines of each side rejoin the contest in a final, gallant effort to triumph. The Druid
remaining troops defied the Pirates remaining troops for the final battle. The Druid lines
inflicted significant losses upon the Pirates forces in response, the Pirates imposed
minor damage against the enemy.

- Conclusion -

Forces on both sides of the battlefield were exhausted and left the battle without either
side withdrawing. Druid casualties were put at 15.57%. All Druid leaders survived the
battle. All the Druid wizards survived the fray. Due to experience, victory and valor, a
Veteran Mammoths brigade has been recognized as Elite! The troops are eager for more
victories: morale is up! Pirates casualties were put at 34.79%. Unfortunately, the Pirates
Warlord Gold Rapier was found dead in the vanguard with many wounds. All the Pirates
wizards survived the fray. An Knights of Styx unit earned promotion to Veteran status.
Earning elevation was an Knights of Styx brigade. They are now a Veteran brigade. The toll
of battle has reduced the group's morale.

(04-01-2021, 02:05 PM)Pine Needle Wrote: Fought the DE first, his early push was met by at least three kingdoms (GN, DU and ?),  then the SO, then the PI and GN. Avoided the Ranger, the BL and IL. Good game everyone.

Here’s the story of my 9 turn battle with the 4th Pirate 44 brigade group…

It was in the early winter of 1204, when the legendary leader of Queen Acergenerix’ armies first heard word of the most massive army yet seen in Alamaze.
The Druid forces had done well thus far, defeating Demon Princes forces in Zanthia to establish a strong base at Destiny’s End and taking most of the valuable cites in Zamora from the Dark Elf King who vanished after a lightning strike. The Gnome King in Zanthia surely wasn’t happy with the Druid’s expansion but was not yet declaring war, after all, the Druid forces had merely repulsed Demon invaders.

The Warlord Velia Eagle Eye was leading the war against the Sorceror in Pellinor, but reports from other regions were troubling. The Pirate King controlled three regions, but the city of Stormgate was still in Druid hands. Velia quickly drafted a plan to send to his Queen for approval. Stormgate would soon be under assault, but from the island, Velia could quickly strike at the Pirate in Nyvaria and the Sea of Azure. The island had to be held.

He dug through old intelligence reports- here it was… the pirate sea capital- unfortified as of 9 months ago. Perhaps the old sea crook still relied on his ships and would miss an invisible Druid strike force led by Sirian Bluewood, a middling youth of azure complexion.

The next month brought the worst news…

While Velia personally lead the successful assault on the Sorceror capital, the plan to strike the Pirate went horribly awry- a Kraken with no name but a distinct smell of rum struck the 4th Druid defeating its invisibility with cephalapodian genius, followed by a Pirate intercepting fleet, presumably tracking the still invisible fleet by noticing blood and cracked bits of wood in the surf, to engage and maul Sirian’s fleet. He stumbled to the Pirate sea capital only to find a leaderless group of swarthy reinforcements assembled at its gates. 10 stout Druid brigades fell to the bottom of the Tempest but young Sirian survived to lead two small brigades to an offensive position outside the Pirate capital. “I can take them!” he said with foolish bravado. Velia hoped only that the surviving wizards accompanying Sirian could make it to dry land alive knowing the Pirate capital could not be taken by such a fool.

But worse, as if anticipating the welterweight blow, the Pirate’s pride 4th Army Group arrived at Stormgate, a 44 brigade force of certain intentions, lead by the Warlord Rapier and his able lieutenant One Eyed Pete.

Velia knew immediately that the fate of his kingdom would rise or fall inversely with that of this force. The Pirate King knew this as well as he taunted the beautiful Queen Acergenerix, “You have plenty of troops and ships at the bottom of the ocean ... come try again if you would like.  Come in pleasure or don't come.  No innuendo intended.” He wrote. Velia researched the meaning of the word “innuendo” then proceeded to write his queen a poem about the joy of centaur colts prancing in the forest in summer.

In late winter the next month Stormgate fell, with the Pirate force taking Stormgate with middling casualties. Velia defeated the remaining Sorceror brigades, but Acergenerix didn’t notice. Sirian, and the wizards under his “leadership”, escaped from certain death, as if invisible.

Velia decided to draw the Pirates out into Pellinor while his Queen laid the political plans necessary to cement his military victory noting the Pirate now had only 33 brigades. Velia noted One Eyed Pete was now a leader of legendary ability, rivaling his own considerable skills. “Why am I surrounded by morons?” He thought out loud, looking at his captain Sirian sketching pictures of invisible ships being destroyed by a Kraken.

By late Spring 1204 (34), the Gnome was no longer friendly and had found the Druid capital in Sword Coast. Acergenerix relocated it to the sea just in time as a Gnome army group arrived to assault the legendary castle the next turn. Rapier and One Eyed Pete completed expelled the Druid from Stormgate, stealing Cornocopia which the Druid had rightfully earlier stole from the Black Dragon.

Velia’s recruitment, however, had so drained Stormgate of able bodies that control of the region now turned on this village, defenseless against all but the weakest kingdoms.
Velia opened the sealed letter from his Queen- next month the plan would go into place and victory would follow in the summer (36).
Again, with good news from his Queen, Velia saw the Gnome army did not take the Druid former capital and took horrific losses- he would not be a military threat again. Stormgate fell to Velia, who saw many young soldiers ready to join the Druid armies- the Pirate’s food coupon program had substantially raised the population.
And now, to victory!!!!!!

The 4th Pirate, however, would need to be defeated to safeguard the victory, a fact the Queen ignored.
Velia knew before he heard- the next month the Pirate retook Stormgate despite a dome of invulnerability and stopped the Queen’s victory. “Let me engage him” he pleaded his Queen, and she, acquiescing, sent him to Stormgate to fight Once against One Eyed Pete One on One Once and For all.

In addition, she thought, I will send Sirian Bluewood (love that guy) to Stormgate with my best wizards. Velia needs some help.

That turn, Velia and Rapier engaged, just after two waves of green death decimated the 4th Pirate. Velia slew Rapier, one on one, and but noted more reinforcements in the air above him. “Bats!” he said, “I don’t need them.” Velia stuck his fatal rapier in Rapier fatally, visons of meadows, Queen Acergenerix and baby centaurs in his mind.

Gritting his teeth with finality, the next month, Velia faced One Eyed Pete. He looked him in his one eye, then said “release arrows”, and arrows filled One Eyed Pete like a Pirata. “Now my queen will appreciate me.” He noted with certainty.

But alas, sad as a patrol stealing an artifact from your army…

As Velia left the battlefield, Warlord Sirian approached him with a letter from Acergenerix. “Good job, Velia. You are now second in command of the Third Druid. Do everything you can to support Sirian in the assault of Stormgate next month,” she wrote.

The next month Sirian captured Stormgate, Acergenerix declared victory and they all rode off on centaurs into the forest.

The end,

P.S. Cliff’s notes
1) Had two early reversals but that was it until the Kraken episode. First, I cast bounty on Zamora by mistake when down there to grab an artifact (which cost me a level two and was only a lousy ward ring). This was Uncle Mike’s DA region, so maybe he didn’t make fun of me to keep the customer satisfied. Second, the Amazon in Krynn went after DA then dropped early, so in the resulting power vacuum I tried to train brigades against a town and bounced, but I think I got an elite brigade so it was a wash.
2)DA dropped leaving Zamora and a choice developed city with gold aplenty mine for the taking. I took the best parts (like the sea towns, but left regional control to my victory push).
3) The “backrub” Kraken is gone. This one has teeth. Good rule change, powers that be.
4) battle report the the 4th PI vs 3rd DU. Note- 2 summon deaths before this:

Battle between the 3rd Druid army group and the 4th Pirates army group in the plains of
              area NP:

Druid                                        Pirates

Commanders
                   Warlord Velia Eagle Eye         Warlord Gold Rapier
                   Lord Commander Evan Wolfeyes    Warlord One Eyed Pete
                   Captain Eagle of Light          Marshal Blackfin

Wizards
                       Power-9 Starbringer         Power-6 Kaladon
                       Power-7 Merlin the Elder    Power-6 Landis Quickly
                       Power-6 Zin Kasan           Power-5 Eklar
Brigades
2 Hill Giants Elite            1 Pirates Elit
3 Stormgate Guard Elite        2 Hill Giants Elite
1 Stormgate Guard Veteran      3 Knights of Styx Regula
Mammoths Elite               1 Wildlings Elite
1 Mammoths Veteran             8 Nyvarians Elite
2 Minotaurs Elite              5 Nyvarians Veteran
1 Centaurs Elite               1 Nyvarians Regular
1 Centaurs Veteran            

Combat Factors
                      Forged Armor              Forged Armor
                      Forged Weaponry              Forged Weaponry
                    Excellent Leaders              Renowned Leaders
                      Light Attrition              

Tactical Selection
                 Standard Battle Plan              Hold At All Costs

Rumbling by the 4th Pirates Hill Giants caused fear among the ranks of their enemy. The
    3rd Druid morale was boosted due to the valor of the Minotaur brigades. Rumbling by the
    3rd Druid Hill Giants caused fear among the ranks of their enemy. The thundering stomping
    by the 3rd Druid Mammoths caused fear among the ranks of their enemy. Early in the day,
    the 3rd Druid army group raced to engage the defensive position of the 4th Pirates army
    group led by Warlord Gold Rapier. As the attackers advanced through the green fields, the
    first missiles sang out.

- Long Range Missilers -

Long range missilers from both sides joined the fray and fired their arrows. The Druid
    lines dealt out minor damage upon the Pirates forces in return, the Pirates imposed light
    damage to their foes.

- Short Range Missilers -

The short range Druid varied missile troops including even birds of prey swooping down and
    the bows and other missilers of the Pirates force initiated their attack. The Druid forces
    dealt out minor damage upon the Pirates lines in return, the Pirates dealt out minor
    damage to their foes.

- Magic -

Druid mages dismounted scarcely beyond the range of defending bowmen and began an
    elaborate incantation. Starbringer's presence was evident. Sonic blasts shot forth from
    him. Power-9 wizard Starbringer incanted in a low forceful tone. Cloaked hood to foot and
    masked in black unleashed an awesome array of magical effects, the combination of which
    has seldom been matched. The sky above seemed to crack asunder, causing great fear among
    the enemy ranks. Then from the sky fissure there issued strong tornado winds, down upon
    the enemy. From this awesome display, the enemy was thrown into chaos, inhibiting their
    ability to retreat. The presence of an opposing warlord prevented the chaos spell's
    effects! Merlin the Elder likewise had his presence be known in similar manner. Power-7
    wizard Merlin the Elder began sorcerous incantations in an unknown tongue. A faintly
    visible blue shimmering began to surround the troops and noticeably lessened the
    effectiveness of the arrows of the defenders. Zin Kasan likewise had his presence be known
    in similar fashion. Pirates wizards dismounted barely past where the defensive missiles
    were falling and began an elaborate incantation. Incanting forcibly Kaladon's presence
    power altered the course of the engagement. Sonic blasts shot forth from him. Power-6
    wizard Kaladon slowly spoke in an arcane language, gestures building to a crescendo. A
    light sparkling mist seemed to fall briefly over the troops, and then they grew clearly
    more intrepid. Landis Quickly also let his presence be seen in similar fashion. Eklar
    likewise had his presence be known in similar fashion. Power-5 wizard Eklar while
    seemingly detached from all else, seemed to draw within himself and began to incant. A
    dark mist seemed to fall briefly over enemy lines, and then they grew clearly more fearful
    of the battle. The Druid lines inflicted light losses upon the Pirates forces in return,
    the Pirates caused light losses to their enemy.

- Artifact -

Waving in the wind, the Renowned Standard bolstered the Pirates troops with hope during
    the battle. By raising Anglakel, Sword from the Sky, Druid Warlord Velia Eagle Eye infused
    his troops with boldness and caused alarm in the minds of the Pirates leaders as the
    magical sword slew enemy forces. By raising Morgal Blade, Druid Warlord Velia Eagle Eye
    infused his troops with boldness and caused alarm in the minds of the Pirates leaders as
    the magical dagger slew enemy forces. By raising Narsil, Flame of the West, Druid Warlord
    Velia Eagle Eye infused his troops with boldness and caused alarm in the minds of the
    Pirates leaders as the magical sword slew enemy forces. By raising the Sword of Alvinitar,
    Druid Warlord Velia Eagle Eye infused his troops with boldness while the Pirates leaders
    flinched as the magical sword slew enemy forces.

- Charge -

The outcome of the battle was still very much in doubt. Quickly, Warlord Velia Eagle Eye
    led the Druid elephants and rhinos were among the riders down upon the obscenity shouting
    drunken brawlers of the Pirates. The Druid lines claimed light damage upon the Pirates
    forces in response, the Pirates caused light damage to their enemy.

- Melee -

The battle had favored the Druid kingdom and their force seemed to wear down their enemy.
    Steel gleamed brightly, as the masses of foot soldiers sprang to the ready, and then
    charged forth with a roar, engaging in battle which took many proud lives. The Druid light
    infantry confronted the Pirates mixed forces of foot soldiers to determine the outcome of
    the battle. The Druid lines inflicted light losses upon the Pirates ranks while the
    Pirates caused light losses to their foes.

- Combined -

Hour after hour passed, yet none could tell which side would be the victor since both
    forces were evenly matched. Despite all that had preceeded at this moment, the battle
    outcome was still in doubt. Now all remaining troops of all types hurled themselves into
    the thick of battle to settle matters in decisive fashion. Victory had yet to take sides
    in this epic struggle: Yet more hour killing hours passed, and these saw all the weary
    lines of each side rejoin the contest in a final, gallant effort to triumph. The Druid
    remaining troops defied the Pirates remaining troops for the final battle. The Druid lines
    inflicted significant losses upon the Pirates forces in response, the Pirates imposed
    minor damage against the enemy.

- Conclusion -

Forces on both sides of the battlefield were exhausted and left the battle without either
    side withdrawing. Druid casualties were put at 15.57%. All Druid leaders survived the
    battle. All the Druid wizards survived the fray. Due to experience, victory and valor, a
    Veteran Mammoths brigade has been recognized as Elite! The troops are eager for more
    victories: morale is up! Pirates casualties were put at 34.79%. Unfortunately, the Pirates
    Warlord Gold Rapier was found dead in the vanguard with many wounds. All the Pirates
    wizards survived the fray. An Knights of Styx unit earned promotion to Veteran status.
    Earning elevation was an Knights of Styx brigade. They are now a Veteran brigade. The toll
    of battle has reduced the group's morale.

What a nice write up.  You write as well as you play.

Awesome write up, Pine. I felt pretty helpless once the game got into the latter stages and figured you or PI would be taking it. You both played superb, and I'm glad you chose to bang heads about the same time that the jerky PI decided to come and invade my poor Untamed Lands. They are much more tame now, sadly.

Will aim for a write-up in a bit. Short version: Playing BL against military kingdoms (TY and then RA) is an exercise in frustration. Especially when you find out late in the game that one of them has a crystal of seeing.

(04-01-2021, 05:35 AM)Lord Garth Wrote: 4th place by 344 points!!   Argghh!!

Congrats, Pine Needle on a decisive win.  This was my first game back since the 2nd cycle, or about the early 90's.  And of course I wind up going up against some Status Point leader on my first time out.  (I'm looking at you, Painted!)  I think I did alright and held my own, but alot of it was luck because I made a Ton of mistakes.  

Food is useful now.  Who knew?  Forged weapons, never got em.  The political system works different.  Arghh!  Overall, the upgrades made for Maelstrom seem overwhelmingly positive.   New orders, like making buildings and fortifications!  That's huge. Better military transfer orders that make things Way easier.   New kingdoms!  There is a Pirate and Atlantians and a halfling kingdom that seems actually functional and competitive.  New spells like Dire Wolf, Nazgul, Kraken, and Crack the Sky.  (never got that one) and some missing spells.  Where did Locate character or group go?   Also, I wish I figured out what Eagle familiar did earlier.  

Sure I'm a bit nostalgic for Torvale and Giants but the new map is good too and I'm looking forward to new kingdoms.  One thing I miss is the kingdom troop composition on your setup.  ( oh i got 400 archers!  Damn 300 are skirmishers.  Oh I got 100 guards infantry!)   I would also highly recommend a centralized place to get info.  Going to 3rd cycle rules to do your orders, then checking with 2 sets of updates and then the forums is damn frustrating for a 'new' player.  I'm sure the vets have no problem but User Friendly is always a good thing.

And Painted?  So you know, I had a "3BL killer" group built but could never peg where you were going.  I finally guessed right at DR ..... but inputted the order wrong and wound up in the wild.   Damn shame.  The battle would have been fantastic.

Congrats again, Pine.  And thanks for the game, guys.  I'll see you out there soon.

A few quick comments here.

I hereby turn over whatever crown (LORD) Garth is holding for me over to Pine Needle. I'm old hat. He's the new hip kid.
Food is amazing. More so when you don't have it.
Forged armor and weapons are the great equalizer. Take a moment to build all the things to have all the fun, but man do they make a difference, and can turn BL (or HA) troops into giant meanies.
My 3BL was amazing. I was hoping we'd go to 40 so I could take the RA capital this turn.

Pretty funny how we build a group to defeat another- My 3DU was built to beat the 4PI but I needed 5 summon deaths to tilt the scale. His group was amazing, especially considering PI recruitment companions which are, ahem... sub optimal.