Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Mage Tower issue
I have never actually built a great mage tower until recently but did so in a current game because I thought I found a use for one. This is the description of what the features are:

Great Mage Tower [30,000 gold, 60,000 food, prerequisite: Wizard Tower] as Wizard Tower benefits, the following only applies at tower’s location: increases battle/damage spells by +50% so pwr-3 fireball increases from 2100 damage to 3150, tower’s wizards are protected from other kill wizard spells by -50% reduction, kill wizard spells cast by tower’s wizards are at +50% effectiveness, if location also has Secret Passages built then tower’s wizards are immune from combat/spell death (not assassinations)

Emphasis mine, of course. I had understood this to mean that the wizards would not be able to die in combat. However, I found that was not the case. I had three groups which were patrols and in each, I had a wizard summon phantoms against a large group and defend, understanding that the troops would all be wiped out as well as any leaders, but assumed the wizards would survive. But they did not - with the group being destroyed, so were all nine wizards. If that's the rule then that's the rule, but can we have this clarified in the write-up of the great tower? Because with that, it would seem to me that they really are pretty useless. Certainly, I'll never build one again.

(06-30-2020, 07:34 PM)DuPont Wrote: I have never actually built a great mage tower until recently but did so in a current game because I thought I found a use for one. This is the description of what the features are:

Great Mage Tower [30,000 gold, 60,000 food, prerequisite: Wizard Tower] as Wizard Tower benefits, the following only applies at tower’s location: increases battle/damage spells by +50% so pwr-3 fireball increases from 2100 damage to 3150, tower’s wizards are protected from other kill wizard spells by -50% reduction, kill wizard spells cast by tower’s wizards are at +50% effectiveness, if location also has Secret Passages built then tower’s wizards are immune from combat/spell death (not assassinations)

Emphasis mine, of course. I had understood this to mean that the wizards would not be able to die in combat. However, I found that was not the case. I had three groups which were patrols and in each, I had a wizard summon phantoms against a large group and defend, understanding that the troops would all be wiped out as well as any leaders, but assumed the wizards would survive. But they did not - with the group being destroyed, so were all nine wizards. If that's the rule then that's the rule, but can we have this clarified in the write-up of the great tower? Because with that, it would seem to me that they really are pretty useless. Certainly, I'll never build one again.

Rellgar likes them.

I am guessing you also had the secret passage. But thanks for the heads up, good to know. Seems to clearly state does not die from combat death. I would also think just like casting self invis or being a lich.

He didn't have a Secret Passages built at that pc. The two buildings have to reside at the same pc location and your kingdom has to have ownership of the pc. Then your wizards would have escaped combat death including attempts of those kill leader/wizard spells.

I looked over his previous turn and he did try to build a Secret Passages but he failed to meet the requirements for constructing the building. 
Gotta read the fine print...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Uncle Mike is correct, if both are built, your wizards are safe from combat deaths. I have known this for some time and have tested it. It works.