Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5460 - Smack Down Accomplished
Brick 
This game ended on turn 34, with a win via Rex by that Painted fellow.

Congats also to DuPont and VBall for podium places.

Final Status Points:
             Victory By Rex Is The Sorcerer Kingdom!
                           Game End Status Points

Place Kingdom    Player                Results-34  Grand Total

1     SO     The Painted Man           61,220      79,636
          2     GN     DuPont                    35,379      55,554
          3     IL     Vball Michael             26,865      42,831
          4     AT     Pine Needle               20,659      36,105
          5     RA     Acererak                  15,405      31,352
          6     LI     Windstar                  12,178      25,301
          7     DU     Canticar                   9,432      19,212
          8     RD     Rellgar                    8,600      18,850
          9     AN     AlatarTBW                  8,610      15,960

This game was really fun for me (not just because of the win). I made a goal of trying to get 12 wizards and accomplished that for a decent stretch of the game, though as one person pointed out (I forget who), I did end with 7, which fortunately for me is a lucky number!!

I was none too thrilled about starting out in Mythgar. The only benefit I saw was the possible additional p2 I could pick up via the wandering wizard sighting in the region. Otherwise, it's a small region and the Sorcerer doesn't begin with a hidden capital, so it sounded like a potential beating. Especially given an aggressive northern neighbor in the RD. I devoted early efforts to trying to find that elusive wizard and thought I found him only to end up with the great red bats. Cool, but not awesome. Then I thought I found him again only to have it be the last herd of flying stallions. Again, cool... but not the goal. Finally got him out from under the nose of a very pesky RD.

Speaking of RD, he forced my initial strategy a bit as a wizard really wants to sit and build. And build. And then build some. Early on he had numerous patrols, troops, etc. in my region mapping it out. This made it imperative that I push to p6 so that I could get dome and keep my capital safe, as I figured he wouldn't push to get his own p5 to dispel my dome any time soon. He also got me started recruiting companions earlier than planned as I figured I'd have to fight eventually. And then he never showed up. I recruited orcs and he never came. I recruited trolls and he never came. He even got me concerned enough to build a sanctuary (which he then mocked me for)... yet he never did more than map out my region. Of course, that annoyed me a lot and so after all this troop recruiting, I sent an army group of orcs, trolls, and some SO kingdom brigades (which, Pine Needle, are crap) up to Pellinor to "map it out". I even sent my favorite trio of p2s. Really I just mapped out the route from one town to the next. Whenever I got the tingle that he was going to try to catch my group, I went to one of the forest PCs. We traded towns, villages, etc. in Pellinor pretty much from turn 12 or so on for the rest of the game. It was great fun and allowed me to train up leaders.

Meanwhile on the home front, I knew I needed wizards. My initial p6 was put on bounty duty while I sprinted to try to get a couple more and, sure enough, here came the big bad and predictable RD groups. They bounced off of several of my towns before he learned to threaten the villages as occasionally that would work. So I basically sat back and sent patrols behind his groups to re-take anything lost (the bats and horsies let me use the wizards for other things like phantoms) which continuing to focus on wizard raising. Around turn 20 the DW decided to pop his head up (he had the gem of the planes) at my city in the region and likely thought he was being very sneaky by suddenly showing up while I was "obviously" busy in Pellinor (which really still just had 2SO and a few emissaries, with the rest at home in Mythgar). He also likely thought he was being very sneaky by casting two dispel domes on the city. He should have cast three. He was at least smart enough to move back out of the region as I had taken to demonic visions instead of bounty to dissuade visitors as the AN had started to pop up as well in both Mythgar and Pellinor. It seemed he had somewhat recovered from RD's early assault.

I knew it was time to take the fight to the DW since RD was content to play whack-a-village in Pellinor, occasionally come to Mythgar to bounce off a dome, wash, rinse, and repeat. I scouted out his capital and it was pretty impressive... a little over 200k defense!! This would require fear - a lot of it - and some forged weapons. Fun tip... phantoms are a good way to get forged stuff into a patrol. They 'activate it' for purposes of having troops, which then allow you to get forged armor and weapons. The troops disappear, but the forged stuff remains. So I did that, went to meet up with my 2SO at the same time that DW showed up AGAIN at my city. I figured that would be as good a place as any to combine my groups, so I had my 2SO move on down and my 1SO - complete with forged arms, armor, specters, and ghouls (and some crap SO kingdom brigades) teleported there. So DW takes the city, holds it for a turn, and then I take it back and rearrange groups so that the now combat-ready 1SO shows up at his capital. He shows up back at my city in Pellinor, but I once again have dome-capable wizards in the region. So he casts three dispel domes; should have cast four. I take his capital (>100k gold production and about 50k food) and make it a legendary castle. I teleport to his city and, to my chagrin, am met by 3 DW groups, wherein I think my fun has come to an end. A 19 brigade DW group against my 23, with a small 5 brigade group as well. I have the edge on wizards, but he has a patrol of 3 p5s sitting to the side that can dispel most of my stuff. Each of his groups with troops only had a single p4 in them. Interesting... So, a dispel against both "combat" groups and a summon death against his main group. I attacked his division and tried to run like hell from his army group. The division took some damage - ended up as brigade-sized - but my biggest shock was that his larger group was destroyed. I'll never underestimate elite troops again. The majority of mine had been upgraded due to the campaign in Pellinor while his didn't appear to have seen much action. The high retreat threshold of the DW kingdom proved to be his undoing as he hung around until it was too late and was destroyed during the retreat phase. Unfortunately as he had a greater mage tower at his city, a patrol survived, along with all his artifacts (and he had a ton!).

I should mention that once I decided to invade DW all of my wizards were in use, so the funds I had been using to raise them were now being placed into building castles. So, in two turns the DW realized I could take a 200k pop center (same defense as his new capital, his city) and that his only useful tactic now - politics - wasn't an option because I had greater castles everywhere. This led to what appeared to many as an early drop, but he really did not have any way to oppose the rolling SO machine. At this point, fearing a GN win (I actually had been fearing it for some time, along with an IL win), I teleported to Stormgate to take it as my second region (I hadn't taken the city in Nyvaria because I wasn't anticipating the lopsided combat results). I took Stormgate, teleported to the city in Nyvaria (which would give me the reigon), and moved en force to the balance of stuff in Pellinor, planning on taking both Nyvaria and Pellinor at the same time. Unfortunately for a single village that the AN usurped from me, I missed and had to retry the following turn, which was fortunately successful.

The highlight for me of this game was my troops. 22 for 22 in combat, which was just awesome. It was fun to alternately bounce around between fighting RD, AN, and DW - sometimes all three at once - and balance resources between attack and Mythgar defense. With villages earning over 50k food per turn, I couldn't let RD get them. I had multiple turns where I tried to poison food supplies only to find out he wasn't feeding them.  

Biggest lesson I learned this game was forced on me by what I thought was an impending RD invasion. Wizard kingdoms seem to build and build and build and ignore other elements to focus on wizards and economy - or at least I do (did?) when I play them. Fearing that I'd have to deal with RD, I built military early and then not wanting to pay them to do nothing I put them to use, which I think played a huge part in the win.

Thanks all! This was a blast!

Awesome. And thanks for the tip, but I thought the description says the armor or weapons go away at any time the group does not have troops. Hmmm.

I played the Illusionist and I also enjoyed the heck out of this game. Will do a short write-up shortly.

(06-02-2020, 01:52 AM)VballMichael Wrote: Awesome. And thanks for the tip, but I thought the description says the armor or weapons go away at any time the group does not have troops. Hmmm.

I played the Illusionist and I also enjoyed the heck out of this game. Will do a short write-up shortly.

I think it technically reads that you need troops to get them, and they disappear when the group becomes inactive (which due to me trying to be too clever I can attest to). But I can confirm patrols can get them. I think it works for companions too, to get over the number of brigades hump.

So, I played the IL in Zanthia since I have not yet played that kingdom. It was cool to have a turn run every single day (24-hour game), but there were times it felt like a chore that had to be done Smile

Like Painted Man's SO, I was hoping to ease into the game with development and non-conflict. But, alas, it was not to be. When I took my region on turn 5, the TY was already coming in. I enemied and denigrated him on turn 6 and the battle was on. He had 6 groups and most of them were in my region, plus some emissaries. I did not have Dome, but I had lots of sleeps and my agents were ready for little emissaries. His advantages in this invasion were troops and the initial assault. My advantages were hidden cap, summoning and a nice Staff of Disdain I had picked up. He made some preliminary progress since I did not have Dome, but I summoned a few ugly monsters and met his main group with my main group on turn 7. He had 9 experienced brigades with swords and bows and I had 9 child brigades with dart guns. Even our wizards were close since he gets to start with that P4 Wraith.  Anyway, he attacked on a 1 for some reason of tentativeness or caution. I thought he might do that, so I defended on a 3 and threw damage spells since he is susceptible. I took 8% and he took 26%. Bam, 1 point to the Illusionists. I also slept and kidnapped some emmies and retook a lot of what he had taken, and bam, he disappeared by turn 9. By turn 10, I had everything back plus ESO, and then hit the bad season. Not a great start with a stilted beginning and then bad production. Oh well.

Once the good season arrived and I had some nice wizards and companions and like 8 Princes, I landed hard in Krynn (everywhere except his City capital) on turn 15. Owned the region by 17 and helped eliminate him by turn 19. Okay, now what?

I set my sights on Triumvia since the RA seemed to be a threat (2 regions plus invading Crown Islands I think). But Triumvia was crowded (RA, AT, GN, IL). By turn 24 I saw a possible win. I had enough of Triumvia that I could take it when I wanted to, but obviously wanted to hold off until I was ready for a 4th region. Then I realized that if I sent all 3 groups to Stormgate, I could meteor and take the city. So, I landed there on turn 25 and positioned emissaries to take Triumvia. But alas, the GN had the same idea and had a huge army group at Stormgate, for which my 3 smaller groups were no match. Also, as it was a communication turn, the alarm was raised against both the Gnomes and my innocent Illusionists. I lost the battles over 2 turns, and lost maybe half of my troops, but I did get to kill his P7, P6, P6 and escape with all of my wizards. I eventually took Triumvia but had no real plan for a fourth region. With so many incursions, I could not really hold Triumvia for long.

Around turn 31 I set my sights on Sword Coast and Zamora. Since I had Zanthia and Krynn solidly (lots of greater castles), and I owned a good chunk of Triumvia, all I needed was to take Sword Coast (and the reports had talked of numerous destroyed pop centers so it might be easy to take) and then get 35% of Zamora (just the city and 1 town would do that). So I invaded the City, town and village in the water in Sword Coast. Then Pine Needle had some issues with Minneapolis and all, so I did not move to new pop centers for a turn though I did take the things I had already invaded. In any event, I am not sure if I could have accomplished my goal anyway with the LI and DU still pretty active down there.

Congrats to Painted on a fine victory in a fun game, and to DuPont who may have saved the game on turn 26 when I had my one maybe shot at a Rex.

I also had a blast as the AT. I started in Triumvia and hoped for a water PC but no dice. I did have a hidden town there which I kept all game. I did have a water town in the Crown Islands, and a group and a governor. So my early plan was to take on the NE immediately, dividing my resources between the two regions and mapping them both. I moved my capital to the Crown water town for safety.

It worked great, maybe too great, as I drew attention, and really never had a chance to win again.

I hit the NE capital on turn 5 or 6 and bounced. I think it was very close, but my main group smashed, and any element of surprise I had on the NE was lost. On one of these turns I did an agent search for artifacts in Crown and found 3 (of four squares!) I thought I'd hit a jackpot on a slot machine. These turned out to be Narsil, the Plow and something else. So my group was now +25%, my economy was huge, and I was ready to take out the NE capital.

I got both regions, but a turn or two later the TY showed up in Crown and the RA showed up in force in Triumvia. I rebuilt my army and landed on the NE capital about turn 10. Took that easily but his king escaped, then I crushed the TY army and headed to Triumvia to deal with the RA. Here was my big mistake.

I moved my capital to Imril and built a great castle on it ready to retake the region with emmies. And I surprised the RA who'd moved his capital to a water town in Triumvia. I think he didn't think I'd have the navy to get a big enough army to his capital that early. Wrong.

AT- lots of gold, great navy.

So I took the RA capital, but his king got away. I think I took the NE capital 3 times, and the RA once, and kings got away each time. Boo hoo.

But one kingdom without crap troops is the RA, who hit Imril the turn I moved my capital there. I didn't think he could take a great castle, but I was wrong, and there went my king, two princes, a bunch of agents, and the Plow. I didn't know the plow would move with my capital from that cushy sea town. I would have moved it back with an agent the same turn, but it was too late. So the RA had the plow, and two regions, and I was on the run with a Baron Regent.

At this point, the GN and the IL hit the RA and I retreated to Crown Islands to consolidate.

When the GN and the IL both moved for victory on the same turn, I just happed to build a great castle on the town he needed for regional control and caught his army in the planes with my Warlorded up army, so blocked GN victory by two sort of lucky moves. I took the GN expedition out pretty quickly sleeping and kidnapping his agents and crushing his crap armies. That was fun.

Phase last I harassed the IL a bit but not really that much, and continued to try to get the plow back. I moved on Darkover and surprised the RA army at his hunkered down capital. He actually had moved the army away a turn before I attacked, so I thought I might get lucky again. I wanted my plow back! I had 27 brigades and he had 26. I had slightly better wizards and forged unit.

Here are the two reports-
Turn 33
Battle between the 4th Atlantians army group and the 1st Ranger army group in the plains

of area CQ:

Atlantians Ranger

Commanders
Warlord Menolaus Warlord Crasian DeBloody
Warlord Tarantela Warlord Little John
Grand Marshal Agis Seacrosser

Wizards
Power-5 Kraken Born Power-5 Stormbringer
Power-4 Eboneza Power-3 Lady of Grenwild
Power-4 Pili Starcrossed Power-3 Mouser

Brigades
3 Atlantians Elite 1 Rangers Elite
3 Atlantians Veteran 7 Rangers Veteran
5 Atlantians Regular 7 Rangers Regular
1 Hill Giants Elite 1 Mammoths Veteran
2 Hill Giants Veteran 2 Mammoths Regular
1 Vikings Elite 3 Rohirrim Elite
5 Rohirrim Regular 2 Rohirrim Veteran
1 Centaurs Elite 1 Wood Elves Elite
3 Centaurs Veteran 2 Wood Elves Veteran
3 Westmen Elite

Combat Factors
Forged Armor Renowned Leaders
Forged Weaponry
Renowned Leaders

Tactical Selection
Determined Attack Hold At All Costs

The thundering stomping by the 1st Ranger Mammoths caused fear among the ranks of their
enemy. Late in the afternoon, the 4th Atlantians army group advanced upon the defensive
position of the 1st Ranger army group led by Warlord Crasian DeBloody. Knowing that their
liege had declared the Atlantians to be hostile to their nation, the Ranger forces were
noticably energized and benefited from increased morale as they prepared to battle their
declared enemy! The Ranger fielded its pride: its 1st group. As the attackers advanced
through the grassy knolls, the first missiles sang out.

- Long Range Missilers -

The erratic whipping winds from a magical storm reduced missile damage on both sides. The
long range Atlantians prominantly longbowmen and the highly efficient bowmen of the Ranger
force initiated their attack. The large shields of the Westmen troops within the 4th
Atlantians reduced opposing missile damage. The Atlantians lines inflicted minor damage
upon the Ranger forces while the Ranger imposed minor losses to their enemy.

- Short Range Missilers -

The erratic whipping winds from a magical storm reduced missile damage on both sides.
Short range missilers from both sides joined the fray and fired their arrows. The
Atlantians lines dealt out light losses upon the Ranger forces as the Ranger imposed minor
casualties to their foes.

- Magic -

Atlantians conjurers dismounted just beyond the range of defending bowmen and began an
animated incantation. Kraken Born's presence was noted. Sonic blasts shot forth from him.
Power-5 wizard Kraken Born began sorcerous incantations in an unknown tongue. A light
sparkling mist seemed to fall briefly over the troops, and then they grew clearly more
intrepid. Eboneza likewise had his presence be known in like fashion. Pili Starcrossed
likewise let his presence be known in like manner. Ranger mages dismounted just beyond the
range of defending bowmen and began an incomprehensible incantation. Incanting forcibly
Stormbringer's presence arcane impacted the course of the engagement. Arcs of searing fire
shot forth from him. Power-5 wizard Stormbringer while seemingly detached from all else,
seemed to draw within himself and began to incant. A light sparkling mist seemed to fall
briefly over the troops, and then they grew clearly more intrepid. Lady of Grenwild
likewise let his presence be seen in like fashion. Power-3 wizard Lady of Grenwild began
sorcerous incantations in an unknown tongue. Looked upon the heavens and gestured
violently. Suddenly winds of gale force drove across the battlefield, reducing the
accuracy of enemy missiles by about half, but also reducing the accuracy of our own
missile troops. Mouser also had his presence be seen in similar fashion. Power-3 wizard
Mouser threw back his hood and gestured in an animated fashion. He sought through his
magic to stun the enemy commander, but was unable to do so. The Atlantians forces caused
light losses upon the Ranger lines as the Ranger dealt out minor losses against the enemy.

- Artifact -

By raising the Great Axe of Hurblind, Ranger Warlord Crasian DeBloody inspired his force
greatly and sought out the Atlantians leaders as the magical axe slew enemy forces. By
raising Narsil, Flame of the West, Atlantians Warlord Menolaus infused his troops with
boldness and caused alarm in the minds of the Ranger leaders as the magical sword slew
enemy forces.

- Charge -

To this point, neither side could claim a decisive advantage. Now Warlord Menolaus led the
Atlantians gold bridled cavalry down upon the deadly expert riders of the Ranger. The
Atlantians forces caused light casualties upon the Ranger lines and, in return, the Ranger
inflicted minor losses to their foes.

- Melee -

Hour after hour passed, yet none could tell which side would first break and which would
triumph. Steel gleamed brightly, as the masses of foot soldiers sprang to the ready, and
then charged forth with a roar, engaging in battle which took many proud lives. The
Atlantians footmen advanced forward to meet the Ranger ground forces in close quarters.
The Atlantians lines caused significant damage upon the Ranger lines as the Ranger claimed
minor casualties against the enemy.

- Combined -

Hour after hour passed, yet none could tell which side would be the victor since both
forces were evenly matched. Despite all that had preceeded at this moment, the battle
outcome was still in doubt. Now all remaining troops of all types hurled themselves into
the thick of battle to settle matters in decisive fashion. Still the glory of this day was
to be won. However, the last hours of combat sealed the fate of both forces. The
Atlantians combined might defied the Ranger remaining troops for the final battle. The
Atlantians lines dealt out appreciable damage upon the Ranger forces and, in return, the
Ranger claimed significant casualties to their foes.

- Conclusion -

Forces on both sides of the battlefield were exhausted and left the battle without either
side withdrawing. Atlantians casualties were put at 31.12%. All Atlantians leaders
survived the battle. Agis Seacrosser distinguished himself and has been recognized as a
Lord Commander. All the Atlantians wizards survived the fray. Due to experience, victory
and valor, a Veteran Atlantians brigade has been recognized as Elite! Due to experience,
victory and valor, a Veteran Atlantians brigade has been recognized as Elite! Earning
elevation was an Atlantians brigade. They are now a Veteran brigade. Due to experience,
victory and valor, a Veteran Hill Giants brigade has been recognized as Elite! Due to
experience, victory and valor, a Veteran Hill Giants brigade has been recognized as Elite!
An Rohirrim brigade of Regular experience battled valorously and have been elevated to
Veteran experience. Due to experience, victory and valor, a Veteran Centaurs brigade has
been recognized as Elite! The troops are anxious for further glory: morale is up! Ranger
casualties were put at 46.36%. All Ranger leaders survived the battle. All the Ranger
wizards survived the fray. Due to experience, victory and valor, a Veteran Rangers brigade
has been recognized as Elite! The toll of battle has reduced the group's morale.

But then someone stole Narsil (IL!) despite my counterespionage. So the next turn RA dispelled all my wizards, had added a leader and forged armor, so my advantage was narrowing.

Turn 34
Battle between the 4th Atlantians army group and the 1st Ranger army group in the plains

of area CQ:

Atlantians Ranger

Commanders
Warlord Menolaus Warlord Crasian DeBloody
Warlord Tarantela Warlord Little John
Lord Commander Agis Seacrosser Lord Commander Vaughn the Slight

Wizards
Power-5 Kraken Born Power-5 Stormbringer
Power-4 Eboneza Power-3 Lady of Grenwild
Power-4 Pili Starcrossed Power-3 Mouser

Brigades
4 Atlantians Elite 2 Rangers Elite
2 Atlantians Regular 3 Rangers Veteran
3 Hill Giants Elite 3 Rangers Regular
1 Vikings Elite 1 Mammoths Veteran
1 Rohirrim Veteran 1 Mammoths Regular
2 Rohirrim Regular 2 Rohirrim Elite
2 Centaurs Elite 1 Wood Elves Elite
1 Centaurs Veteran 1 Wood Elves Veteran
2 Westmen Elite

Combat Factors
Forged Armor Forged Armor
Forged Weaponry Renowned Leaders
Renowned Leaders Minor Attrition
High Morale
Light Attrition

Tactical Selection
Determined Attack Hold At All Costs

The thundering stomping by the 1st Ranger Mammoths caused fear among the ranks of their
enemy. In the first hour of morning, with a nod from the head of its distinguished
commander, the 4th Atlantians army group advanced with grim resolution toward the
defensive position of the 1st Ranger army group under Warlord Crasian DeBloody. Knowing
that their liege had declared the Atlantians to be treated as an enemy of their nation,
the Ranger forces were noticably energized and benefited from increased morale as they
prepared to engage their declared enemy! The Ranger fielded its pride: its 1st group. As
the attackers crossed the high plains, the battle began.

- Long Range Missilers -

The erratic whipping winds from a magical storm reduced missile damage on both sides. The
long range Atlantians well trained archers and the highly efficient bowmen of the Ranger
force initiated their attack. The Atlantians lines imposed minor damage upon the Ranger
lines while the Ranger imposed minor damage to their foes.

- Short Range Missilers -

The erratic whipping winds from a magical storm reduced missile damage on both sides.
Short range missilers from both sides stepped forward and let loose a volley of arrows.
The Atlantians ranks caused light casualties upon the Ranger ranks as the Ranger dealt out
light damage against the enemy.

- Magic -

Atlantians wizards dismounted scarcely past where the defensive missiles were falling and
began an incomprehensible incantation. Incanting forcibly Kraken Born's presence wizard
force impacted the course of the engagement. Blinding light shot forth from the wizard.
Eboneza also had his presence be known in like manner. Pili Starcrossed likewise let his
presence be seen in like manner. Ranger mages dismounted just beyond the range of
defending bowmen and began an elaborate incantation. With a mere glare from his fiery eyes
Stormbringer's presence wizard force changed the course of the battle. Ice blasts shot
forth from him. Power-5 wizard Stormbringer began sorcerous incantations in an unknown
tongue. A light sparkling mist seemed to fall briefly over the troops, and then they grew
clearly more intrepid. Lady of Grenwild likewise had his presence be known in similar
fashion. Power-3 wizard Lady of Grenwild incanted in a low forceful tone. Looked upon the
heavens and gestured violently. Suddenly winds of gale force drove across the battlefield,
reducing the accuracy of enemy missiles by about half, but also reducing the accuracy of
our own missile troops. Mouser also had his presence be seen in similar manner. Power-3
wizard Mouser incanted in a low forceful tone. A faintly visible blue shimmering began to
surround the troops and noticeably lessened the effectiveness of the arrows of the
defenders. The Atlantians lines inflicted minor losses upon the Ranger ranks while the
Ranger inflicted light losses to their foes.

- Artifact -

By raising the Great Axe of Hurblind, Ranger Warlord Crasian DeBloody inspired his force
greatly and sought out the Atlantians leaders as the magical axe slew enemy forces. Waving
in the wind, the Renowned Standard bolstered the Atlantians troops with hope during the
battle.

- Charge -

To this point, neither side could claim a decisive advantage. Bolting ahead to meet the
riders of their foes were both the Atlantians chargers and the Ranger chargers. The
Atlantians forces caused minor casualties upon the Ranger lines in return, the Ranger
inflicted minor casualties to their enemy.

- Melee -

Though much blood had been split and the fighting had raged for hours, still victory hung
by a thread. Now the infantry of each side was committed to the battle, and the fighting
was hard and chaotic. The Atlantians uniformly blue crested helmets of proud warriors
confronted the Ranger superbly trained warriors to determine the outcome of the battle.
The Atlantians ranks dealt out significant casualties upon the Ranger forces and, in
return, the Ranger inflicted light damage to their foes.

- Combined -

Hour after hour passed, yet none could tell which side would be the victor since both
forces were evenly matched. Despite all that had preceeded at this moment, the battle
outcome was still in doubt. Now all remaining troops of all types hurled themselves into
the thick of battle to settle matters in decisive fashion. Still the glory of this day was
to be won. However, the last hours of combat sealed the fate of both forces. The
Atlantians armor glistening, the infantry challenged the Ranger highly-skilled and deadly
swordsmen to decide the battle. The Atlantians ranks imposed significant damage upon the
Ranger lines while the Ranger inflicted significant damage against the enemy.

- Conclusion -

Forces on both sides of the battlefield were exhausted and left the battle without either
side withdrawing. Atlantians casualties were put at 25.63%. All Atlantians leaders
survived the battle. Agis Seacrosser once again shown uncommon skill and has earned a
promotion to Warlord. All the Atlantians wizards survived the fray. An Atlantians brigade
of Regular experience fought bravely and have been promoted to Veteran status. Due to
experience, victory and valor, a Veteran Rohirrim brigade has been recognized as Elite!
Earning promotion was an Rohirrim brigade. They are now a Veteran brigade. Due to
experience, victory and valor, a Veteran Centaurs brigade has been recognized as Elite!
The troops are anxious for further glory: morale is up! Ranger casualties were put at
37.93%. All Ranger leaders survived the battle. All the Ranger wizards survived the fray.
Due to experience, victory and valor, a Veteran Rangers brigade has been recognized as
Elite! An Rangers unit was awarded promotion to Veteran status. The toll of battle has
diminished the group's morale.

There would be no round 3 as the RA built a legendary castle on CQ and his army split, mine bloodied and cut in half.

Great game. It was a lot of fun. I made one big mistake, but still loved the AT kingdom. Grade A troops and companions (though not many of them), great emmies, lots of gold.

(RA)

Mixed emotions on this game. Honestly, I've wanted to play the RA for a long long time as they seem to be the most over all balanced kingdom with lots of strengths and few weaknesses since the DA was neutered (rightly and I know I prodded for this quite a bit). I found that they are still good but as in most cases, weaknesses show up in the long run. There are some key weaknesses that are hidden until you discover them in the middle of play with the RA (and curiously the AN also has these) and those are primarily that they don't have Fear or Demonic Visions. I suppose these make sense but these are some of the most important battle spells in the game, and in the late game are at times critical. There is basically no way to take Leg. Castles without Fear and a P5, that alone is worth 50K plus of battle value.

In any case, the early game for me was no big surprise- got Darkover relatively quickly and started recruiting companions and powering wizards. No hidden capital or water pop to move to makes for an uncomfortable liege so I started thinking about where I could move to- and was scouting Victor the Gnome to my east, and watching what was happening at Stormgate (nothing) and the battles to my west with AT going west. I had an attack against the GN all planned out but his capital at the minor city in the water at GZ looked impregnable and he was going full hog on gold at it I didn't think I could get a knockout blow on him. AT seemed to be just flat out gone and I could move my capital to the seas of The Tempest as well so decided to move there. All went well for a few turns and as the early obvious leader I got cocky. Never take a 3rd region (damn Stormgate) unless you're ready to take a 4th and I just couldn't. As the AT mentioned he was able to bring enough to my new capital I took from him on the seas to sack it, and while I pretty much wiped out one of his armies with a dual flank attack I was on the run with the GN coming in full bore, the AT, and then the damn IL coming on too. Ugh.

I did enjoy quite a bit taking the AT capital at Imril and getting a good roll on prisoners taking most of his court and torturing them the rest of the game in my spiffy clean dungeons.

The rest of the game I basically sat at my land capital with 200k+ food production thanks to the plow, but afraid to leave with my army as I couldn't quite get a leg. castle yet. AT showed up as he said and I felt I had a good setup in the plains. Flank no good though with his Warlord and he had Anglakel vs my Axe so advantage there. I think his Forge weapon and Armor was the difference in the first battle as my troops generally way better. I also had 4 other P3s in patrols there dispelling his magic and mostly succeeded so I had full spells against him from my group while he didn't have much. Like he said I moved off after two battles and I was going to re-recruit and got the leg castle up when Dusi won again.

I had a good time but not sure I'd play the Ranger again. No Fear spell is a real disadvantage in the late game and combined with a max 13 brigade companion recruit per group is limiting. That group AT put up battle had 160K value and he caught me the same turn I didn't have a 3rd leader as I was transferring out a piddling captain to get in a Lord Commander but screwed that order up - which is a 20% difference on 160K. Probably the difference in that fight. Alamaze is so often a case of one little drop down menu not happening correctly but that's also what we all enjoy is the detail.

Congrats to the podium and Pine Needle - nice job coming back at me.

Wow.  What a series of great after action reports.  These might be the best we have on a single game.  And seeing the actual battle reports, the guy that scripted those, well, I haven't seen anything like that anywhere else.  :-)  Honestly, I did like seeing the long, even battle reports where some not-often-seen results are shown.

This game seems like a great example of why Alamaze is still around after 35 years.

(06-02-2020, 02:49 AM)VballMichael Wrote: Then Pine Needle had some issues with Minneapolis and all, so I did not move to new pop centers for a turn though I did take the things I had already invaded. In any event, I am not sure if I could have accomplished my goal anyway with the LI and DU still pretty active down there.

I read this and didn't understand until now. I am in Kansas City, not Minneapolis. Thanks for the concern. I think that was Windstar.

(06-03-2020, 04:03 AM)Ry Vor Wrote: Wow.  What a series of great after action reports.  These might be the best we have on a single game.  And seeing the actual battle reports, the guy that scripted those, well, I haven't seen anything like that anywhere else.  :-)  Honestly, I did like seeing the long, even battle reports where some not-often-seen results are shown.

This game seems like a great example of why Alamaze is still around after 35 years.

Nice battle reports. I loved reading about my AT gold stirruped (or something) cavalry.