Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5175 Ends (Not with a bang, but with a whimper)
So I played the DE in this game and was partnered with the NE and WA. The opposing teams were RD/SA/GN, UN/AM/DU and DA/IL/NO. The game started conventionally enough and each of us got our regions in the opening turns. Early on, we could see there were battles in the south with the RD team fighting the IL team. At first, we held back but when it became clear the RD team would prevail, we figured we'd better get busy or else they would have five regions and only need one more. We chose #5 as our target and hit the SA there as they were finishing off the other team. Our hope was that the UN team would see what was going on and jump on the RD team in #7, since that region was clearly empty and vulnerable. 
Never happened though. Instead, the UN team attacked us - hitting the NE hard at his capital. To be fair, at that time, it's possible they (he, really, at the end of the game only one player was controlling all three positions) could have possibly considered us the bigger threat. But soon it would have been clear that this wasn't the case and that the continued attacking of us would only serve to guarantee the RD team the victory. And, of course, that's exactly what happened. The UN team never made any attempt to expand outside of the two regions he controlled, despite the vulnerability of the RD team in the southeast. I won't pretend I understand that sort of game play - I certainly don't respect it. All it meant was that what could have been an interesting contest was pissed away. Aw, well, other games await!

(09-09-2018, 03:11 AM)DuPont Wrote: So I played the DE in this game and was partnered with the NE and WA. The opposing teams were RD/SA/GN, UN/AM/DU and DA/IL/NO. The game started conventionally enough and each of us got our regions in the opening turns. Early on, we could see there were battles in the south with the RD team fighting the IL team. At first, we held back but when it became clear the RD team would prevail, we figured we'd better get busy or else they would have five regions and only need one more. We chose #5 as our target and hit the SA there as they were finishing off the other team. Our hope was that the UN team would see what was going on and jump on the RD team in #7, since that region was clearly empty and vulnerable. 
Never happened though. Instead, the UN team attacked us - hitting the NE hard at his capital. To be fair, at that time, it's possible they (he, really, at the end of the game only one player was controlling all three positions) could have possibly considered us the bigger threat. But soon it would have been clear that this wasn't the case and that the continued attacking of us would only serve to guarantee the RD team the victory. And, of course, that's exactly what happened. The UN team never made any attempt to expand outside of the two regions he controlled, despite the vulnerability of the RD team in the southeast. I won't pretend I understand that sort of game play - I certainly don't respect it. All it meant was that what could have been an interesting contest was pissed away. Aw, well, other games await!

Yeah, it felt like we never had a chance.  I made a couple of unforced errors (I always seem to forget to dome PC's).  But the game felt unbalanced.

This game was not the norm in many ways. Im very sorry if some have lost there respect for me. If anyone would like an account of why my actions appeared confusing please send me a private message.

How different these contest can look from the other side of the fence.  I was RD on the team with Draugr as GN and P.T.Riley as SA.  I had hoped our leader, Draugr would tell our story first but hopefully he will add to this as time allows.  I need to thank my two team mates for being the most fun to play with but also great team players.  Draugr is not just a great player but a great teacher and brings out the best in us.  P.T. got stuck with region 5 for something like the 5th game in a row and got hammered again, as that region is apt to do.

Our picks in the draft were 1 and 12 with our middle pick being GN, the 1st RD, and the last SA.  Not the best position, by any means, with no hidden capitols and 2 military kingdoms, no first tier magic, and region 5 very hard to defend.  The AM/DR/UN team had 3 hidden capitols, the DE/NE/WA had 2 with 2 tier 1 magic kingdoms, all together, and DA/IL/NO a hidden capitol with a tier 1 magic and also all together.
With military kingdoms we had to come out swinging before the others built their magic.  We took our regions quickly and RD shared Arcania with IL.  We made it a point to look for his hidden capitol and found it on t4.  We stayed out of the high council and watched the other teams spend 120k gold in 6 turns and then defeat each others bids.  All of our extra gold was going to GN magic.  Turn 5 we had a RD group on the IL capitol but there was DA with all his brigades in a big army group.  RD had to regroup and try again with more forces but the capitol had relocated. My RD capitol was in the center of  Arcania so I relocated to a safer location in region 7.   Now we had found the NO capital at Vasheen and took it on turn 9.  SA was moving most of his stuff into region 9.  Turn 10 we had the new IL capital and took it out.  We would do it again on t12 and finish him off on t13.  DA and NO were still very much alive and we were going for their areas.
We were expecting the other two teams to square off against each other and hopefully we would finish off the IL/DA/NO and go after the leader.
On t13 NE/WA launched a very well coordinated attack on region 5 which was nearly undefended.  Turn 13 also saw the DA capital fall to GN for the first time.  T 14 we lost Amberland as we kept focus on taking out DA and NO while beginning to counter DE.  On t 15 the WA team has 4 regions to our 3 and the game is very much in doubt.  T 16 same thing.  T 17 GN takes out the DE capital and things begin to change 3 regions WA team, 3 for us.  T 18 WA team only has regions 2 and 5 as GN and RD have broken control in region 3, 6, and SA is fighting all out in 9.
At some point NO and DE managed to break RD control on region 10, region 3 changed hands again, and 6 and 9 were still contested.  Turn 18 both DA and NO are finally beaten and we can concentrate on WA/NE/DE.  Now team AM/DR/UN starts picking off our gold in region 7, followed by 4 more thefts in region 8 on turn 19.
Turn 20 we have 4 regions to WA team 1 and several uncontrolled but AM is attacking in regions 7 and 8 although only a few pc at a time.  As RD I have to shift to meet the new threat and hold region 8.  I lost 2 town and 2 villages.  Turn 21 we recovered all and have enough for the win but had not been sure enough to declare.  Turn 22 RD is fighting AM army group in region 7, recovers the lost pc's and we put in our victory claim.  Final turn will see another AM army group at Vasheen but too late.
So there is the story from our side of the fence.  We had to beat two teams and AM and UN were a real pain for us as well but I only saw Druid 1 time. 
This was my first time playing a dragon unless you count a duel with BL.  They were fun and the power and movement is incredible.  Without a magic kingdom to dispel domes and take water pc I can see it would have been very different.  We threw lots of resources to GN for magic development, having a standing order to gift him 100k gold every turn and he was the first to have p7's.  We communicated like crazy, having a common goal every turn, hitting every target, checking each others orders, sharing resources, warding each other and trying to get the most out of every order.  GN finished with 5 fools and RD had 3 more.  Maybe this is a team record?
Thanks again to my teammates, P.T. Riley and Draugr, and also to the others in the game for going the distance.

I'll always remember this as the last game I played in with our old friend, Ohman the Heartless and I'm sure his passing early in the game had a major impact on the way that team was played.  I'd like to see Ohman as a king or Prince in one of the Alamaze kingdoms and invite the players to discuss that in another thread.

Good write up Wookie.... always another perspective of the game: the differing view points are interesting to say the least.

Great write-up Wookie.

For the draft we would have liked to get the IL and likely would have taken a different path but by the NO team taking the IL war was forced on T1.

Keys moments
Our Rapid training of GN wizards quickly allowed us to over power the IL even using early Domes to help restock some of the DAs attempts to retake ground in R8.

Overall the UN must have stole 100,000s of gold for our PCs over the course of the game. The UN started picking on the SA which by luck caused the SA to move his capital the same turn the WA/NE invaded R5.

RD, GN, SA capitals moved to the east to get away from the UN. We could see this was wise when we saw A king getting kidnapped.

Illuminating the IL as we were getting invaded.

We ignored the initial push of the WA/NE for 3 turns to give us time to remove the NO and have the DA drop. This allowed us to then fully focus on the WA team.

This was perhaps the worse game I was ever in. Never played a wizard kingdom before. Initially moving into the cities in R8, I noticed that the RD was in Zarathon so I warded my guy and moved him to the other city, to join my Count, only to have the RD army hit the city the next turn and capture both my Duke and Count.

On turn 4 the 5RD was setting on my invis cap, and to be honest, I just wanted to drop. (I couldn’t catch a break.) One of my teammates missed putting in his orders and our communication was horrible, one of us would send a message to the other 2 an hour before the turns were to run. This created all kinds of headaches; last minute scrambling to change orders.

The SA/RD/GN team, VERY impressive, every turn they would hit my cap and land on the next location it reverted to. I literally couldn’t get one turn to create a sanctuary. At one point, I found the SA cap setting in a village in R7 and on turn 13, I was setting on it (if it was still there then) with a division that could take it.

Alas, I discovered that because their attack on my last pc occurred before my attack on the 3 villages I was on happened, I was eliminated.

Just a word of advice to all of the players, please don’t get in a team game JUST to fill the game when you don’t have the time to communicate with your teammates. I was eliminated eons ago, it seems, and this one still stings. It will be awhile before I play another team game I think.

IL/Mad Hatter

(09-10-2018, 08:11 PM)Mad Hatter Wrote: This was perhaps the worse game I was ever in. Never played a wizard kingdom before. Initially moving into the cities in R8, I noticed that the RD was in Zarathon so I warded my guy and moved him to the other city, to join my Count, only to have the RD army hit the city the next turn and capture both my Duke and Count.

On turn 4 the 5RD was setting on my invis cap, and to be honest, I just wanted to drop. (I couldn’t catch a break.) One of my teammates missed putting in his orders and our communication was horrible, one of us would send a message to the other 2 an hour before the turns were to run. This created all kinds of headaches; last minute scrambling to change orders.

The SA/RD/GN team, VERY impressive, every turn they would hit my cap and land on the next location it reverted to. I literally couldn’t get one turn to create a sanctuary. At one point, I found the SA cap setting in a village in R7 and on turn 13, I was setting on it (if it was still there then) with a division that could take it.

Alas, I discovered that because their attack on my last pc occurred before my attack on the 3 villages I was on happened, I was eliminated.

Just a word of advice to all of the players, please don’t get in a team game JUST to fill the game when you don’t have the time to communicate with your teammates.  I was eliminated eons ago, it seems, and this one still stings. It will be awhile before I play another team game I think.

IL/Mad Hatter
You need to team up with Draugr and Wookie, you will enjoy that team game my friend.  Lots of communication.