Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on leaderless kingdoms military
How does a kingdom raise an army once it looses all its leaders in groups? Wizards can summon troops, but if your playing a kingdom like the DW, if you loose all your leaders in your groups, how can you rebuild an army? I know you can hire a low level leader (who can not raise troops) but then what?  Level 5 wizards can raise troops and hit unusual encounters, but it looks like a few kingdoms have a weakness due to low level casters and inability to recover from leader loss.  It seems like I keep hearing of TY kingdoms getting wiped out by killing the leaders and there one wraith. Could this weakness be a hole that can be too hard to recover from if you play kingdoms who can not get summoning wizards? I do realize kingdoms get reinforcements, but with no ability to raise troops at all until you raise a new leader can really make a comeback tough for low level magic kingdoms.  Any and all advice is welcome.

I think you answered your own question.  You can recruit from your PC's without a leader, you can hire leaders after turn 10, you gain leaders through combat. A wizard kingdom that loses its wizards is in a bigger bind. The Red Dragon without Red Dragon brigades, Underworld without high level agents, etc.

When expressing an opinion on how kingdoms are doing relative to one another, I always suggest looking at today's Valhalla.  With 14 Steel games complete, 9 different kingdoms have claimed gold, with the ones claiming more than one win being the three kingdoms most chosen in The Choosing.   Dwarves currently are right in the middle of the 24 kingdoms.

How can you recruit from a PC without a leader? One needs a general at a minimum for the armies I have seen for 5 regions and 5 regions you can get by with a captain.  If your in the south and East your good with a captain, but north and West, you need a general.  I guess I need to look closer at the next kingdom I want to play (CI) before I dismiss them as easy to beat with assassins.   CI has 3 games under its belt in steel games and I can see why most would rather pick the Necros over Barbarians. Just trying to analyse my next kingdom pick is all.

All non-summoned troops require a minimum of a Captain. So if you had no way to summon troops, had no existing brigades, and only had Centurions or less (and could only hire more Centurions), then I would think the only way left to get a Captain or higher would be through Unusual Sightings.

Don't forget about the Sacrifice spell (# 875). It currently allows creating a higher level leader from the general and marshal levels but that spell could be expanded to include captains as well (centurion, captain, captain major). Then you can hire two new centurions, sacrifice them to produce a general, and so on...

Both CI and DW have leader bonuses for creation and/or survivability.  When I played CI I had no shortage of leaders.

If you are facing an agent power you may need to guard you leaders in the late stages of the game to avoid becoming leaderless.

You can kill a Marshall fairly easily as long as you are willing to trade a high level agent for the leader. 

My 2 cents-

Hawk

Thanks everyone for the replies.  More comments are always welcome.

As far as i could remember from Cycle of Steel games i played, you can attack weak villages with leaderless groups and often gain new captain heroes. So you wait for reinforcements on turn 10 and hire a centurion and add companions and go.