Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
512 Anon Game
Place Kingdom Player Results-34 Grand Total

1 NE Lord Diamond 18,385 25,349
2 SO Jumpingfist 13,640 22,390
3 WA Atuan 12,100 19,750
4 RA Hawk 9,460 16,060
5 NO Canticar 7,260 15,530
6 AT DuPont 4,320 8,330
7 HA Cloud 3,700 8,120

Congrats to LD. My write up will follow later when I have more time.

(NE) This was a fun game even if I did open each of the last few turns with great trepidation.

I spent the early part of the game building up and trying to decide where to expand to without leaving my home region open to attack. I was actually quite happy with snagging the occasional pc while searching for artifacts. The Giant dropped and I moved into R5 to take a few pcs, but went out of my way to avoid taking pcs held by the Pirate and Warlock. I did attack the Tyrant capital, but he was on his last legs and I wasn't worried about him.

The Elf declared me enemy, but I still ignored him hoping that his declaration was just defensive and that he wouldn't bother me. Then he attacked my town in R5 while also sending a few nobles into R2! Seriously, Elfman? You want to pick a fight with the Necromancer? Okay, Oakendale is as good a target as any. Let's play!

Okay, my invasion of Oakendale was slow, but it was helped by the fact that the Elf was trying to conquer Amberland. He also didn't seem to take me very seriously at all. I sent my primary army, the 2nd Deathseekers. Now, the 2nd was fresh from the brief battles in Amberland and were very confident in their ability to educate the Elf. They did manage to screw up the Siege of Lorethane, but still took the city in just four months and immediately relocated my capital there. I was very surprised that it took this long for the Elf to get back to Lorethane.

There was quite a lot of activity at Lorethane as the Elf tried to take it back, I kept building it up, and there were some cool battles. In the meantime, my armies were chasing the Elf capitals around and attacking them while my nobles didn't do much of anything. It finally culminated in some nasty 'Summon Death' spells and suicidal attacks that let the Elven Kingdom broken.

I spent a couple of turns wrapping up Oakendale while building up my forces. With the Sorcerer clearly fighting in the Talking Mountains and Eastern Steppes, I thought Torvale would be a nice place to visit. My recons showed only a single level 14 agent guarding the region and not a single enemy noble. This convinced me to attack a turn earlier than I had planned as I executed the L14.

I swarmed into Torvale with my armies and large noble court and then immediately followed up with a 2nd wave into Amberland. The same time I landed in Amberland had the Sorcerer (now angry for some reason) teleporting four armies into Oakendale. He almost knocked me out of control, but then jumped into Northern Mists instead. I even burned my own village to the ground to kill the Sorcerer noble who landed there!

I was prepared for a slog over R1, R2, and R5 with my nobles and armies, but managed to pull out a win even though I lost four towns in R2. If the Sorcerer nobles who landed there had been able to knock a couple pcs neutral, this game would still be going.

This was a fun game and my win wouldn't have happened if I hadn't managed to take the Sorcerer with complete surprise.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

who did you take over for? I ask as you were not on the sign up list for this game.

(07-26-2016, 05:42 PM)Atuan Wrote: who did you take over for?  I ask as you were not on the sign up list for this game.

Rick threw me in with turn 1. I didn't even know I was joining the game until the game started up. I have no idea who I replaced.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

WA - Ripped open the white envelope,flush with anticipation of what conquests would be had. I see am the Red Mage and think, excellent with his wizardly power all of Alamaze will cower in my might! I unfold the map and mark my starting PCs and plot a course for epic destruction.

T1 - Tyrant wins the High Council, I laugh inside as I know the gold spent was a waste. But then again what does an Orc know about magic. I spend gold raising wizards and setting up to take the region by turn 3. Luckily I find 2 additional towns a necro village and 2 locations of an unusual type. I've moved to great Hammerhold as it will soon be mine. I need the money or my wizards will never reach their full potential.

T2- The mysterious sea people have been elected to the council, I thought them wiser than this. I note that I won't need to worry about them in this contest for they clearly don't understand the powers a mage can hold. I unfortunately do not plan carefully and send one emissary off into the wilds rather than the town and have under estimated the necromancers ability to hold sway upon his people. I know I will not control the mountains next turn and will have to wait until late Autumn. I continue to raise my wizards, my armies have found the Axe of Dwarven legend.

T3- The Elven king determines he will not be a factor in this contest and tosses his peoples coins towards an empty seat. The Steppes has declared fealty to the Atlanteans while the Sands are swayed by the Nomad. I have by now uncovered most of my region and will have it under my boot and its treasures will follow.

T4 - Many regions swear allegiance including the mountains to myself, all but the Mists, the lower mountains and vast Amberland are controlled. The Halfling signs up as the next king to agree he will not be a factor. My pursuit of artifacts goes into full bore now as Winter is coming and my mages are not yet supreme.

T5- The Necromancer finally gains control of the mists while the Halflings take Runnimede. We take note that the Nomads have more gold than sense as they take the final seat on the council of unimportant. MY groups have uncovered a magic bow and a talisman of mist. It seems early skirmishes have started between the Tyrants and Rangers. The Undead One has also found issue with the holy riders to his south.

T6- I sit tied for third in the Alamaze power rankings. This brings me frustrations as I have 5 artifacts and surely that must be more than others have found. I even found a ring this turn, sadly not the ring of legend nor its cousin. But I know they are out there and I will find them.

T7- Little seems to be going on in my corner of the world, I move to the final sighting in the mountains and start scouring the mists. The holy rider has finally claimed Amberland and it seems the Tyrant has entered the lands of Torvale.

T8 - The Undead one has finally taken my village in the mists, I make note of it but my wizards are not yet ready to contest. But I am in luck I have found a ring, sadly not the rings I am searching for, this one too only offers protection. I move into the mists to recover treasures the Undead one doesn't need.

T9- The short ones find a disliking to the Tyrant. It seems he read the book, "An Orc's Guide to Making Friends". My armies have again uncovered a ring, surely this one must be the ring I seek, NO!!! it cannot be, another ring of protection. What cruel gods have cursed me so. My wizards grow in power. I will claim the objective set forth early nex turn. And I have noted the Elf seems to be taking artifacts from the western part of the mists. Perhaps it is time to search the Holy Riders lands.

T10- Lord Commander Wolfsbane has brought me yet another ring, no wait... a shield. I think he knows if he brought me a ring I would have his head.

T11 - The Holy Rider has surrendered. Should Amberland be ours? Yes we need to expand, lets take the towns near our mountains and the city, we need the gold.

T12 - Sneaky we are, we send in hidden emissaries to the city and move on a town. One of our mages has become an undead and another will follow him next turn. The latest Alamaze Power rankings are out and the Warlock ranks second, only the Nomad is viewed as our superior. I need more mage power, its preventing me from my true success.

T13- We move into the city with a group invisible, while the pirate and undead one send emissaries. But the Sorcerer is here, does he see us? He has a vast army but puny mages. Surely he doesn't see us. He brought a small group as well. We can attack the small group, while summoning death upon the larger one. Two waves of death will bring that vast group down while I bring in more mages. Yes this plan will be excellent. We will crush the Sorcerer!! The Dark Elves have invaded the Steppes, but felt the need to take my town. Retribution will be ours, but first lets finish the have this treat we call the Sorcerer.

T14- Disaster has befallen us. The Sorcerer was wise, he saw through our tricky plans. His mages have slain our undead wizard and another wizard of rank 5. We killed 4 brigades, but it matters little and now we have brought more to the fight. Do we gamble yet again? Surely he used one of his minor wizards last time to catch us. He wont see the additional wizards we brought.

T15 - More disaster, we have lost all but 1 brigade and 4 wizards. We move off of the city and slink back towards the mountains. Warlord Wolfbane has brought us Narsil, but for what. We have no army and but few wizards. We lost 2 agents attempting to kill some of his wizards. This conquest was poorly planned and has cost us greatly.

T16-18 We wait for the Sorcerer to come finish us but he never does. Our wizards are 2 7s both undead, a 4 and 2 3s. Yet somehow the power rankings show us at 3rd. But to what avail, we are not ready and must wait. We will raise an Army confront the Dark Elf. He seems to be in a struggle with the water people.

T19-23. Ranger has conquered Runnimede, the Pirates have taken Amberland. Why has the Sorcerer given these lands to him. He is clearly more powerful. The Dark Elf owns the Steppes, but I am ready. I have 3 7s and a group 70k strong. Now is the time to strike back at the Dark Elf for my town in the Steppes.

T24- I move on my town with a group and send emissaries to his other 2 towns and the city. My army will move to the forest lands while my politicians take the swamps. I once again rank 3rd in the power Rankings while the Sorcerer has claimed 2nd and the Nomad is 1st.

T25/T26 - The Steppes are mine, my group is running rampant in the forests lands of region 9 while the Dark Elf has started to move his groups into the mountains. But so has the Atlantians? Why would the master of the sea invade me? This will be a mistake for him, he could survive.

T27/29 - We sack the DA capital, kill his queen and some other emissaries. We have most of the the forest lands and have arrived at what will be the Dark Elves last significant town, we need to start scouting the sands. This shall be our last region.

T30 - Great news, our battle with the DA is nearing conclusion we have captured a Staff, a dark Amulet and yes a Ring... of protection. But while we have started our invasion of the Sands, the Sorcerer has finally come to the mountains.

T31-32 I lose the Mountains and the Steppes, but the Sorcerer loses Torvale. The Necromancer has started more conquests. This will be what I need to recapture my lands and try one last push for the sands.

T33-34 - I regain the mountains, the SO loses the Steppes and sadly Amberland as the Undead One declares victory.

Congrats to all and my thanks to the lesson JF. Its one I hope not to forget in the future.

Thank you for taking the time to write this up. I thoroughly enjoy reading about other player's perspectives in games!

Congratulations to LD , JF and Atuan!   Great game!

Cloud (HA)- sorry that I ended up attacking you after we sort of fought off the Tyrant together.  I had to fight for region 8 from the start of the game and wanted to move to a corner region.   That ultimately lead to my battle with the Nomad as well.

I will try and post more later.   There were a couple of fairly large battles in game 512 where the Ranger veteran troop quality really showed up.  Training up troops through battle turned out to be a big part of my strategy and it worked well.

Fun game from my end for sure.

LD can you put up the details on this. I am curious as to where the other players were.

Thanks again

Atuan

(07-27-2016, 02:39 AM)Atuan Wrote: WA - Ripped open the white envelope,flush with anticipation of what conquests would be had.  I see am the Red Mage and think, excellent with his wizardly power all of Alamaze will cower in my might! I unfold the map and mark my starting PCs and plot a course for epic destruction.

T1 - Tyrant wins the High Council, I laugh inside as I know the gold spent was a waste.  But then again what does an Orc know about magic.  I spend gold raising wizards and setting up to take the region by turn 3.  Luckily I find 2 additional towns a necro village and 2 locations of an unusual type.  I've moved to great Hammerhold as it will soon be mine.  I need the money or my wizards will never reach their full potential.

T2- The mysterious sea people have been elected to the council, I thought them wiser than this.  I note that I won't need to worry about them in this contest for they clearly don't understand the powers a mage can hold.  I unfortunately do not plan carefully and send one emissary off into the wilds rather than the town and have under estimated the necromancers ability to hold sway upon his people.  I know I will not control the mountains next turn and will have to wait until late Autumn.  I continue to raise my wizards, my armies have found the Axe of Dwarven legend.  

T3- The Elven king determines he will not be a factor in this contest and tosses his peoples coins towards an empty seat.  The Steppes has declared fealty to the Atlanteans while the Sands are swayed by the Nomad.   I have by now uncovered most of my region and will have it under my boot and its treasures will follow.

T4 - Many regions swear allegiance including the mountains to myself, all but the Mists, the lower mountains and vast Amberland are controlled.  The Halfling signs up as the next king to agree he will not be a factor.  My pursuit of artifacts goes into full bore now as Winter is coming and my mages are not yet supreme.

T5- The Necromancer finally gains control of the mists while the Halflings take Runnimede.  We take note that the Nomads have more gold than sense as they take the final seat on the council of unimportant.  MY groups have uncovered a magic bow and a talisman of mist.  It seems early skirmishes have started between the Tyrants and Rangers.  The Undead One has also found issue with the holy riders to his south.

T6- I sit tied for third in the Alamaze power rankings.  This brings me frustrations as I have 5 artifacts and surely that must be more than others have found.  I even found a ring this turn, sadly not the ring of legend nor its cousin.  But I know they are out there and I will find them.  

T7- Little seems to be going on in my corner of the world, I move to the final sighting in the mountains and start scouring the mists.  The holy rider has finally claimed Amberland and it seems the Tyrant has entered the lands of Torvale.

T8 - The Undead one has finally taken my village in the mists, I make note of it but my wizards are not yet ready to contest.  But I am in luck I have found a ring, sadly not the rings I am searching for, this one too only offers protection.  I move into the mists to recover treasures the Undead one doesn't need.

T9- The short ones find a disliking to the Tyrant.  It seems he read the book, "An Orc's Guide to Making Friends".  My armies have again uncovered a ring, surely this one must be the ring I seek, NO!!! it cannot be, another ring of protection.  What cruel gods have cursed me so.  My wizards grow in power.  I will claim the objective set forth early nex turn.  And I have noted the Elf seems to be taking artifacts from the western part of the mists.  Perhaps it is time to search the Holy Riders lands.

T10- Lord Commander Wolfsbane has brought me yet another ring, no wait... a shield.  I think he knows if he brought me a ring I would have his head.

T11 - The Holy Rider has surrendered.  Should Amberland be ours? Yes we need to expand, lets take the towns near our mountains and the city, we need the gold.  

T12 - Sneaky we are, we send in hidden emissaries to the city and move on a town.  One of our mages has become an undead and another will follow him next turn.  The latest Alamaze Power rankings are out and the Warlock ranks second, only the Nomad is viewed as our superior.  I need more mage power, its preventing me from my true success.

T13- We move into the city with a group invisible, while the pirate and undead one send emissaries.  But the Sorcerer is here, does he see us?  He has a vast army but puny mages.  Surely he doesn't see us.  He brought a small group as well.  We can attack the small group, while summoning death upon the larger one.  Two waves of death will bring that vast group down while I bring in more mages.  Yes this plan will be excellent.  We will crush the Sorcerer!!  The Dark Elves have invaded the Steppes, but felt the need to take my town.  Retribution will be ours, but first lets finish the have this treat we call the Sorcerer.

T14- Disaster has befallen us.  The Sorcerer was wise, he saw through our tricky plans.  His mages have slain our undead wizard and another wizard of rank 5.  We killed 4 brigades, but it matters little and now we have brought more to the fight.  Do we gamble yet again?  Surely he used one of his minor wizards last time to catch us.  He wont see the additional wizards we brought.

T15 - More disaster, we have lost all but 1 brigade and 4 wizards.  We move off of the city and slink back towards the mountains.  Warlord Wolfbane has brought us Narsil, but for what.  We have no army and but few wizards.  We lost 2 agents attempting to kill some of his wizards.  This conquest was poorly planned and has cost us greatly.

T16-18 We wait for the Sorcerer to come finish us but he never does.  Our wizards are 2 7s both undead, a 4 and 2 3s.  Yet somehow the power rankings show us at 3rd.  But to what avail, we are not ready and must wait.  We will raise an Army confront the Dark Elf.  He seems to be in a struggle with the water people.

T19-23.  Ranger has conquered Runnimede, the Pirates have taken Amberland.  Why has the Sorcerer given these lands to him.  He is clearly more powerful.  The Dark Elf owns the Steppes, but I am ready.  I have 3 7s and a group 70k strong.  Now is the time to strike back at the Dark Elf for my town in the Steppes.

T24- I move on my town with a group and send emissaries to his other 2 towns and the city.  My army will move to the forest lands while my politicians take the swamps.  I once again rank 3rd in the power Rankings while the Sorcerer has claimed 2nd and the Nomad is 1st.

T25/T26 - The Steppes are mine, my group is running rampant in the forests lands of region 9 while the Dark Elf has started to move his groups into the mountains.  But so has the Atlantians?  Why would the master of the sea invade me?  This will be a mistake for him, he could survive.  

T27/29 - We sack the DA capital, kill his queen and some other emissaries.  We have most of the the forest lands and have arrived at what will be the Dark Elves last significant town, we need to start scouting the sands.  This shall be our last region.

T30 - Great news, our battle with the DA is nearing conclusion we have captured a Staff, a dark Amulet and yes a Ring... of protection.  But while we have started our invasion of the Sands, the Sorcerer has finally come to the mountains.

T31-32  I lose the Mountains and the Steppes, but the Sorcerer loses Torvale.  The Necromancer has started more conquests.  This will be what I need to recapture my lands and try one last push for the sands.

T33-34 - I regain the mountains, the SO loses the Steppes and sadly Amberland as the Undead One declares victory.  

Congrats to all and my thanks to the lesson JF.  Its one I hope not to forget in the future.

Very entertaining debrief.   I love it when a plan goes well!