Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Invisible groups
So, I just had a leader killed as follows: "A foreign wizard slew the 3rd EL Warlord Billy with dark magic." (Names and kingdom changed to protect the innocent.) On my previous turn, there was no listing or warning of an ambushing or invisible group (and no group showing in square). My group had 3 warlords and a Power 5, so I should know if a group/patrol was there (see an old Uncle Mike post copied below - emphasis added).
So, where did this foreign wizard come from and why did I have no notification? Any thoughts before I go to Support? Are there high-level spells to kill from a distance?

A level 4 agent may recon a masked group.
A level 7 agent may recon an ambushing group.
A level 7 agent may recon an invisible group with order #691, 970, 971.
A level 11 agent may recon an invisible group with order #977.
A level 5 wizard or warlord will provide a warning if an invisible or ambushing group (of any size including patrols) is in the same area but not a recon.
A masked group is immune to assassination attempts against agents below 4th level.
An ambushing group is immune to assassination attempts against agents below 7th level.
An invisible group is immune to any assassination attempts against the group's leaders/wizards.

If I recall correctly, the invisible patrol issue had gone back and forth. Not sure where they ended up.

I agree with you that invisible patrols should still prompt a warning/notice of an invisible group, or else they become way too powerful.

(11-16-2015, 07:25 PM)HeadHoncho Wrote: If I recall correctly, the invisible patrol issue had gone back and forth.  Not sure where they ended up.

I agree with you that invisible patrols should still prompt a warning/notice of an invisible group, or else they become way too powerful.

I think the quote from UM is where it ended up. His post was near the end of a long thread where we were all discussing who can detect what.
Pretty clearly says Warlords and P5 should get notice of an invisible group including patrol, and my group had warlords and a P5. Oh well, I sent in a Support request. We shall see.

(11-16-2015, 08:18 PM)VballMichael Wrote:
(11-16-2015, 07:25 PM)HeadHoncho Wrote: If I recall correctly, the invisible patrol issue had gone back and forth.  Not sure where they ended up.

I think the quote from UM is where it ended up. His post was near the end of a long thread where we were all discussing who can detect what.
Pretty clearly says Warlords and P5 should get notice of an invisible group including patrol, and my group had warlords and a P5. Oh well, I sent in a Support request. We shall see.
This is a very important part of the game and I was currently playing with the exact same understanding of the rules as VBMike.

I don't think the game is working like that though regardless of what the rules say.

In one game, I had two groups teleport to a city to engage an enemy group. I had one of them teleport in invisibly to surprise the enemy on the next turn. On that same turn, I did a Recon with an L7 of that square and my own Invisible group did NOT show up on my own recon report (I got nothing on my own turn that an invisible group was present there). Now its possible that the other player got a notification that something was present there but I did not (and I had several P7s present and a Marshall as well in addition to the L7 recon). Again, I'm not privy to what the other player did or did not do/get on his report but it appeared that the other player had no idea that my invisible group was there based on what happened in combat that next turn (he also had a P7).

Ok, my bad. Support got back to me and pointed out what I had missed. There were rustlings in the dark and my group should have been warned.
I have chastised my leaders appropriately.
Thanks to Support for the quick response.

(11-16-2015, 10:55 PM)VballMichael Wrote: Ok, my bad. Support got back to me and pointed out what I had missed. There were rustlings in the dark and my group should have been warned.
I have chastised my leaders appropriately.
Thanks to Support for the quick response.

Good to know.

Yep, read your kingdom turn report. Warlords/pwr-5+ wizards provide warning if an ambushing or invisible group is at your location. The message appears in the section right after battle reports and before group listings. Don't ignore these messages because they are not flavor text but actually indicate something is amiss:

Movements and rustlings in the shadows has led our (noble leader/elder wizard) to believe a group may lay in wait to ambush us at area (map).

-or-

A shimmering in the air and other distrubances in the surrounding area has caused our (noble leader/elder wizard) to suspect that an invisible group may be near us in area (map).

In 3rd Cycle, kingdoms with the Trackers trait automatically detect ambushing groups (but not invisible) so you don't need a warlord or pwr-5 wizard present in your group to get this notice.