Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting Expectations in Full Diplomacy Games
(09-26-2015, 01:56 PM)Jumpingfist Wrote:
(09-26-2015, 12:17 PM)Frost Lord Wrote:
(09-26-2015, 11:56 AM)Lord Diamond Wrote: As co-creator of Valhalla, I want to see something that can be measured by the program and doesn't require someone to mine the forums and manually update a file somewhere.

Good point.

We built Valhalla 14 months ago, and since then we have processed 70+ updates to it for the games as they concluded.  The only part of Valhalla that is manual (and requires the mining of data off of the forums) is the Peer Commendations.  In this same amount of time, we have only received 3 updates to the Peer Commendations (Aug 2014, Feb 2015, & Jul 2015).

I am not placing fault anywhere other than it is really difficult to consistently mine data from all of the threads in the forum.

I had actually tallied them up more frequently but many times there are no changes.  Every game can be updated but not every game gets nomination mostly due to so many anon games.   The Peer commendation seemed to have faded anyway.  They were so infrequent that the new player do not really see a value in them. 

There are ways to somewhat auto capture the peer awards.   Most likely would need to start with 3rd cycle
-Iron willed could be tallied by giving someone 1 point every time they finish a game in the bottom 5 but not on the podium.
-Infamous could be a point every time someone claims a new item in Valhalla.  This could also help keep players in games as they can shoot for those little goals.   I know some already do this.
-Chancellor could be 1 point for each game you are a mentor.  This would be preset as the game starts and need to be coded to reconize maybe a check like giving 25k to chivalry if it is important to Rick

Gold to highest point total,  Silver next two players and bronze the next two.  Ties both get award at higher level.  So there could be multi gold but still only 5 total players listed.  Ties on points for bronze would go to player who got the point most recently to keep the rankings with new names.

I like the suggestions and these are very doable, especially for 3rd Cycle. Iron Willed and Infamous could probably be done with only changing Valhallaa and would not require anything from Mike. Are there any suggestions for similar titles? 
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

(09-26-2015, 12:17 PM)Frost Lord Wrote:
(09-26-2015, 11:56 AM)Lord Diamond Wrote: As co-creator of Valhalla, I want to see something that can be measured by the program and doesn't require someone to mine the forums and manually update a file somewhere.

Good point.

We built Valhalla 14 months ago, and since then we have processed 70+ updates to it for the games as they concluded.  The only part of Valhalla that is manual (and requires the mining of data off of the forums) is the Peer Commendations.  In this same amount of time, we have only received 3 updates to the Peer Commendations (Aug 2014, Feb 2015, & Jul 2015).

I am not placing fault anywhere other than it is really difficult to consistently mine data from all of the threads in the forum.

I had actually tallied them up more frequently but many times there are no changes.  Every game can be updated but not every game gets nomination mostly due to so many anon games.   The Peer commendation seemed to have faded anyway.  They were so infrequent that the new player do not really see a value in them. 

There are ways to somewhat auto capture the peer awards.   Most likely would need to start with 3rd cycle
-Iron willed could be tallied by giving someone 1 point every time they finish a game in the bottom 5 but not on the podium.
-Infamous could be a point every time someone claims a new item in Valhalla.  This could also help keep players in games as they can shoot for those little goals.   I know some already do this.
-Chancellor could be 1 point for each game you are a mentor.  This would be preset as the game starts and need to be coded to reconize maybe a check like giving 25k to chivalry if it is important to Rick

Gold to highest point total,  Silver next two players and bronze the next two.  Ties both get award at higher level.  So there could be multi gold but still only 5 total players listed.  Ties on points for bronze would go to player who got the point most recently to keep the rankings with new names.