Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Agents Moves to Find Hidden Caps
TIL that people still use the trick of sending low level agents to random spots to find hidden capitals. I remember back years ago when Rick had made the change that if you went to an empty square there was a chance that you'd get eaten and people protested because if you sent your prince and had a typo, you could lose him. And so this was eliminated, but somehow I thought the consensus was that people should not do this. I certainly never have - am I the dummy? Does everybody else use this tactic to find hidden capitals? I've always trained agents up to level 4 and done recons to find them. 
I have to say this is a tactic I don't respect at all - it just feels like cheating. (In fact, I'll come right out and say that I think it IS cheating). For all I know, this has probably been chewed over and resolved years ago and I missed it, but I have to say it seems...sleazy.

Ive used it, and i agree its "like cheating"  i feel the same about the bounty spell and ports however.  I would not be sad to see any of these game mechanics gone.

(05-24-2022, 12:29 AM)Senior Tactician Wrote: Ive used it, and i agree its "like cheating"  i feel the same about the bounty spell and ports however.  I would not be sad to see any of these game mechanics gone.

On the latter two, do you just feel they're overpowered (and not cheating)? I don't see why bounty or ports have some unintended benefit. They just have too much benefit, I think is your argument, and bounty was just nerfed. Or is there some unintended benefit that I've missed? I wouldn't be surprised given your nature.

I don’t send out random low levels. I’m usually already taken a beating before I get to it

(05-24-2022, 02:43 AM)Pine Needle Wrote:
(05-24-2022, 12:29 AM)Senior Tactician Wrote: Ive used it, and i agree its "like cheating"  i feel the same about the bounty spell and ports however.  I would not be sad to see any of these game mechanics gone.

On the latter two, do you just feel they're overpowered (and not cheating)? I don't see why bounty or ports have some unintended benefit. They just have too much benefit, I think is your argument, and bounty was just nerfed. Or is there some unintended benefit that I've missed? I wouldn't be surprised given your nature.
I love the ports and bounty.  Especially the new bounty, seems more fair.  I was once in an ice age game and had my food at 8 million+(Adjusted to 2million), which was a tad silly.  
But the ports are a wizards greatest ally!  I am in a game now, was attacked on t-5 or 6 by a military kingdom.  The port will save me, if I can keep it, and it will make me viable.  It is my reward for selecting a region without a major city, and running the risk of not getting a good water pop center.

Pine you are correct, none of what I mentioned is really cheating or even like cheating, because its really impossible to cheat within the rules, other than the diplomacy and anonymous rules. I guess what I mean is there are a few game mechanics that could be adjusted.  I guess its not really critical.  I used to completely avoid casting bounty, because it seemed too powerful, same reason I've never played the Red Dragon, but I'm getting used to it.  Besides I'm not sure how you'd change the ability to move to squares you haven't located PCs on.  In team and confed games, one kingdom will have information that your other kingdom won't, but would obviously share.

In another thread Unclemike said he was working on new changes, I am eager to see what they are.

Hmm I always thought you had to have a lvl 10 agent to spot hidden capitals..guess I need to read things better.

(05-24-2022, 03:08 PM)Brekk Wrote: Hmm I always thought you had to have a lvl 10 agent to spot hidden capitals..guess I need to read things better.

A recon with a level 4 will spot it.

(05-24-2022, 03:08 PM)Brekk Wrote: Hmm I always thought you had to have a lvl 10 agent to spot hidden capitals..guess I need to read things better.

At L10 an agent on recon can detect invisible Groups

(05-24-2022, 01:44 PM)Senior Tactician Wrote: ...

In another thread Unclemike said he was working on new changes, I am eager to see what they are.

I'm not going to tell but here's a quick peek at something new for certain rulers (look under the name)...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)