Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alamaze related postings & comments on Facebook
Something new that I'm gonna try for a bit, to see if it is of any use or makes any difference.

I posted the following posting on the PlayByMail.Net Facebook page, just a short while ago.

https://www.facebook.com/PlayByMail/post...1958456219

It's just some screen shots of the game previously provided, along with a copy and paste of text from the company's spiel about the game. Almost immediately, someone on Facebook responded with the following comment:

Too bad the bad the veterans all team up on new players and don’t give them a chance. They won’t even speak with you and in a diplomatic game that sucks.

I share it here, in an attempt to try and help grow dialogue (and interest) about the game on Facebook. The criticism voiced doesn't seem unique to game, as I've encountered similar criticisms by various people down through the years about different games. Granted, mileage may vary, and each game of Alamaze may vary somewhat from other games of Alamaze.

At any rate, I do know that there are some Alamaze players on Facebook, because sometimes they comment on various things that get posted. I do think that Facebook holds potential to generate new players for the game. I also think that having more dialogue about Alamaze on Facebook could be a very good thing.

I did not have that experience at all as a new player. Everyone was very helpful, and seriously gave me a game to get my feet wet. Of course, I won that game. Of course.

(04-30-2021, 03:12 PM)Maximus Dominus Wrote: Something new that I'm gonna try for a bit, to see if it is of any use or makes any difference.

I posted the following posting on the PlayByMail.Net Facebook page, just a short while ago.

https://www.facebook.com/PlayByMail/post...1958456219

It's just some screen shots of the game previously provided, along with a copy and paste of text from the company's spiel about the game. Almost immediately, someone on Facebook responded with the following comment:

Too bad the bad the veterans all team up on new players and don’t give them a chance. They won’t even speak with you and in a diplomatic game that sucks.

I share it here, in an attempt to try and help grow dialogue (and interest) about the game on Facebook. The criticism voiced doesn't seem unique to game, as I've encountered similar criticisms by various people down through the years about different games. Granted, mileage may vary, and each game of Alamaze may vary somewhat from other games of Alamaze.

At any rate, I do know that there are some Alamaze players on Facebook, because sometimes they comment on various things that get posted. I do think that Facebook holds potential to generate new players for the game. I also think that having more dialogue about Alamaze on Facebook could be a very good thing.

Ironically I just started helping a new player today.  Alamaze is a lot to learn and many of us have complained for years that the resources are widely scattered and not easy to find.  You really need a mentor to get going quickly.  I don't see the veterans picking on new folks and would suggest you always give them at least 10 turns to get settled unless they attack you first.  Thanks for sharing the info.  I don't follow many face book feeds but I am low tech and old fashioned compared to the younger players.

(04-30-2021, 07:59 PM)Pine Needle Wrote: I did not have that experience at all as a new player. Everyone was very helpful, and seriously gave me a game to get my feet wet. Of course, I won that game. Of course.

My Halflings wanted to crush you. Really, truly crush you. You're lucky that I had to wade through Rangers first and got stuck.

Roar.

In seriousness, my general rule is that I only attack new players (Brek) after they attack me (Brek) but even then I will normally try to give them an out (Brek) so that they have a better chance to learn the game and keep on playing (Brek). 

But then if they stick around long enough they end up better than me and I regret that decision (not Brek).

(04-30-2021, 09:52 PM)The Painted Man Wrote:
(04-30-2021, 07:59 PM)Pine Needle Wrote: I did not have that experience at all as a new player. Everyone was very helpful, and seriously gave me a game to get my feet wet. Of course, I won that game. Of course.

My Halflings wanted to crush you. Really, truly crush you. You're lucky that I had to wade through Rangers first and got stuck.

Roar.

In seriousness, my general rule is that I only attack new players (Brek) after they attack me (Brek) but even then I will normally try to give them an out (Brek) so that they have a better chance to learn the game and keep on playing (Brek). 

But then if they stick around long enough they end up better than me and I regret that decision (not Brek).

If Paint really likes you (Wookie) he just gives you fuzzy hugs like a python with fur.  I think he lets you live because he enjoys seeing you get frustrated.  Smile

I posted on FB similar to the above. Kind of sad that people would think that- again I had no experience like that.

I agree with Wookie that the resources are very scattered. I enjoyed searching and wading through the forums for tidbits of info- e.g. "what is the special ability of an Ent?" but people always answered questions if I asked.

The thing that really helped me, and not them, was teaming up with Brek and Rellgar in the team game. They really took a bullet there.

I am getting what appears to be a corrupted page instead of the orders page when I go to my bookmarked site.  Does anyone else have this problem?
It is happening on both my pc and phone and I will not be able to issue orders until I resolve it.

Power corrupts, I hear

(04-30-2021, 09:52 PM)The Painted Man Wrote:

Roar.

Yah not my best decision ever, but I figured I had a better chance against the other new guy than others....yah turned out he was a snarly old wolf wrapped up in sheeps clothing.  
Anyways I have complied a lot of the misc Info (Spells/basic emmy info, pop smashing, troop info etc) out there into a single massive excel file, all gleaned from vets of the game willing to help others, if others. I find out new shit ever game whenever someone decides to hand me my ass at any given time.

Calebgilk - I think the biggest thing is unless a vet truly does nothing to you , the game is simply a bunch of orders. You need to make attacks, and be attacked as mentioned above I went after Painted feeling all proud I had launched this massive sneak attack, only to have my ass rolled up and handed back to me within 2 turns among a fanfare of board taunts, and forced to make a very public apology for attacking his "poor" not so innocent kingdom... Being someone who doesnt particularly lose often in games it was frustrating, but the community was so amazingly helpful. I would chat with Dragur, Painted, and Wookie etc all willing to help out and its been about 2 years now and I feel I have advanced to the intermediate level of play, knowing how the bones work but still learning new tricks in every team game. Play ask/play/ask/lose/play again thats the only way to get to be a "vet" The great thing about Alamaze is its like chess not checkers, the "bad" thing about Alamaze its like chess and not checkers.