Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 5434 Ballz of Steel
(05-12-2020, 09:14 PM)uncledarkseid Wrote:
(05-12-2020, 09:07 PM)Senior Tactician Wrote:
(05-12-2020, 09:02 PM)uncledarkseid Wrote:
(05-12-2020, 08:11 PM)The Painted Man Wrote:
(05-12-2020, 07:43 PM)Senior Tactician Wrote: The Imperium Will Pay Well For 100,000 Food This Season.

That's a lot of sammiches. Are ye buildin' a fort with a food court? Don't ferget the haggis!
50k?

Indeed Master Of Shadows, A Price More Than Fair.  We Thank Thee For Thy Commerce And Shall Make The Arrangements To Trade You 50k Gold for 100k Food This Season.

Entering the order now, thanks.
Coming to borrow some terrain, plz excuse my harmless group

(AN)

Umm. If there was ever any wonder that Wind Storm is overpowered the DW just took my capital with 197K defense legendary castle and he only lost 25% casualties. An impressive force no doubt with elite dwarves and hill giants but still, 200K defense. If we are to believe common ratios he would need at least 300-350K vs pc to win this battle. That is impossible.

I also largely missed my turn so my bad. Sigh. Could have domed it and he would have bounced but I felt pretty impregnable at 200K defense. Never seen a city that high get taken yet, this is a first. Several of my Power 7 wizards didn't even cast a spell this turn.

Ah well. Nicely done mr dwarf.

This game is probably over now as he has now has my pc with near 600K food production added to his wares.

I think I posted on this elsewhere, but the old "formula" of having 2 to 1 to attack a PC isn't really true.   What is displayed for Valiue vs PC is the base value for the troops.  Then add leaders, artifacts, forged equipment, magic.  Some of this is both to attack and defense.  I'm not sure if the code is reflecting not just the increase in the PC's defense, but also in the loss divider for improvements.  PC's had a 1.1 loss divider (peasants defending), capitals higher, and was intended to be increased for castles, more so for great castles and more still for legendary.  Dwarves may have a base 2.0 loss divider before those adjustments.  Then add barrage, war machines, evidently a Wind Storm spell, and probably Fear, and the special ability of Hill Giants.

I want to make adjustments both to the spells, for example to Wind Storm and to limit Fear and Valor and Shield, to ensure the PC loss divider is where I think it should be, increasing with fortifications, and showing more disclosure of the modified values on the reports instead of just the base numbers.

When all is said and done, a legendary capital 200k defense should be about impregnable, but something like a huge Dwarven force as described might be the kind that could still do it.

I've had games where a big force gets modified to close to 200% before spells.  One game had a force modified to 470K so it's certainly doable.  Up to 75% with 3 warlords, 50% for forged weapons and armor.  Then some regular weapons and add in elite troops and some with extra abilities  like Hill giants or maxed out orcs at 55%. Then you add the wizards and there you go.  It takes time and work to get the force together but we are seeing it more often in the late stages of the games when resources are getting crazy. 
There is no such thing as a safe pop center anymore.

Ya, I get it and understand the math. Unfortunately in this case the AN is Stalwart, and thus immune to Fear and Chaos. Painted did get his mammoth, hill giant bonuses (fear- should not work) and cast fear with a P5 (again, should not be applicable) but seems it was. That would be a 45% hit to me and yet I’m stalwart. Sooooooooooo?

(05-18-2020, 08:57 PM)Acererak Wrote: Ya, I get it and understand the math. Unfortunately in this case the AN is Stalwart, and thus immune to Fear and Chaos. Painted did get his mammoth, hill giant bonuses (fear- should not work) and cast fear with a P5 (again, should not be applicable) but seems it was. That would be a 45% hit to me and yet I’m stalwart. Sooooooooooo?

Your troops get the trait but not the pc.  Unless your kingdom has listed pc bonus you just have a pile of stones with some militia defending it.  It's just a matter of how many stones and militia.

(05-18-2020, 09:52 PM)Wookie Panz Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 08:57 PM)Acererak Wrote: Ya, I get it and understand the math. Unfortunately in this case the AN is Stalwart, and thus immune to Fear and Chaos. Painted did get his mammoth, hill giant bonuses (fear- should not work) and cast fear with a P5 (again, should not be applicable) but seems it was. That would be a 45% hit to me and yet I’m stalwart. Sooooooooooo?

Your troops get the trait but not the pc.  Unless your kingdom has listed pc bonus you just have a pile of stones with some militia defending it.  It's just a matter of how many stones and militia.

Nobody's stones are as big as a dwarfs!

Our militia tend to be shorter, though.

200,000 stones and militia! But not enough against Son of Gimli.

(05-18-2020, 10:03 PM)Acererak Wrote:

I am glad I don't live in a glass house.  Just sayin!

(05-18-2020, 10:08 PM)Wookie Panz Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 10:03 PM)Acererak Wrote:

I am glad I don't live in a glass house.  Just sayin!

This result reinforces the #1 thing I've been asking for in Alamaze ever since 2nd cycle came back and Rick took it over (2013?). The ability to station leaders and wizards at popcenters- and thus allow PC to get the same bonuses in defense that groups get in attack. That would level the playing field immensely vs groups.