Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game of Thrones?
Had an interesting idea this morning. Probably not practical.

Standard team game to begin, 12 players
T12/T15 - bottom 3 players/kingdoms are out, and teams recreated by some process TBD
T24 or thereabouts - bottom 3 players/kingdoms are out, teams recreated

For an extra round of elimination the T24 reform could be into teams of 2.

One concern I have with this format is that some kingdoms are challenged by victory points. Why don't emmy's count for VP? The HA could have 20 princes and it wouldn't make a bit of diff for VP.

I think most of this could be player enforced, although it would be helpful if the game would break all existing alliances/enemies on the reform turns.

(06-22-2017, 03:59 PM)Netstrider Wrote: Had an interesting idea this morning. Probably not practical.

Standard team game to begin, 12 players
T12/T15 - bottom 3 players/kingdoms are out, and teams recreated by some process TBD
T24 or thereabouts - bottom 3 players/kingdoms are out, teams recreated

For an extra round of elimination the T24 reform could be into teams of 2.

One concern I have with this format is that some kingdoms are challenged by victory points. Why don't emmy's count for VP? The HA could have 20 princes and it wouldn't make a bit of diff for VP.

I think most of this could be player enforced, although it would be helpful if the game would break all existing alliances/enemies on the reform turns.

Can't do this.  I had a simpler version of your idea in what we called Cut Throat, where players would be eliminated on certain turns, and even beyond the coding issues, the players didn't want it.  As posted elsewhere, what we really need is fewer variants to enable new players to adapt.  We are having a hard time getting new players going with all the formats and having to essentially learn how to even sign up for a game in our dozen formats.  Experienced players: be patient for Maelstrom.  I think that's when our tutorial will come out as well.  Meanwhile, let's stick to the main themes we have, with Full-On and Primeval preferred to get new players going.

I'm probably as big a fan of Game of Thrones as anyone, and have some notes for a game based on it.  Read all the books, watching all seasons again On Demand (halfway through season 5).  I don't think George Martin or HBO is going to feel threatened by little old me, but if they did, Lannister clan could be changed to Langford.  Stark could be changed to Strong.  Jamie to James.

Winter is Coming!
Fear casts a large shadow, yet he himself is very small.

(06-23-2017, 03:59 PM)Greyhawk Wrote: Winter is Coming!

I guess the new season starts in July?

Like an idiot, I am holding out on the last couple of seasons hoping the book will one day be published. Stupid, I know. I understand that George RR Martin and Patrick Rothfus are 'not our bitch' but I really do think it's shitty how much time they spend farting around instead of writing.

(06-23-2017, 09:10 PM)DuPont Wrote: Like an idiot, I am holding out on the last couple of seasons hoping the book will one day be published. Stupid, I know. I understand that George RR Martin and Patrick Rothfus are 'not our bitch' but I really do think it's shitty how much time they spend farting around instead of writing.

My older brother Russ has been concerned since the last book, Dance of Dragons came out in 2011, that Martin will expire before finishing his work which is supposed to be two more books.  Martin released chapters of Dance of Dragons in 2006 (the book finally 5 years later).  Now it's 6 years later.  So, yeah, he's not exactly prolific. 

While I enjoyed reading the books, I like the HBO series better.  I don't need to know the ingredients in the food, the 200 extra characters who just get abandoned by the author, or the 20 other superfluous subplots.  HBO seems to get it right with cutting that stuff out, and I think the casting got the characters pretty much as I envisioned them.  the acting and script and settings are great.  They've spent more money I believe than any other TV series.  Filmed on at least three continents, etc.  BTW, I feel the same about the changes Peter Jackson made in the outstanding LOTR movies over Tolkien's kind of winding way with the songs and trying to teach us Elvish, etc.  

My guess is Daenerys ultimately wins, but Martin is infamous for, really to me, a sadistic treatment of his characters so who knows?  If you notice, he pretty much takes away what is most important to virtually all of his characters.  Sometimes for shock, sometimes just seems mean.  Who knows, he could surprise and put Tyrion on The Iron Throne after Dany is assassinated. 

HBO has the rights to move on without Martin, to send it the way they want instead of waiting for his books.  I'm ok with that.  I think to DuPont's point, Martin has "run out of gas."   Tongue

I believe the books are about finished, I know the complete story outline is. I know George, hung out with him and partied several times at conventions. Have not talked to him in years, I think I will email him and find out what to expect, but it's hard to get a straight answer from him, lol

(06-23-2017, 11:17 PM)RELLGAR Wrote: I believe the books are about finished, I know the complete story outline is. I know George, hung out with him and partied several times at conventions.  Have not talked to him in years, I think I will email him and find out what to expect,  but it's hard to get a straight answer from him, lol

Interesting.  What kind of guy is he?

(06-23-2017, 11:17 PM)RELLGAR Wrote: I believe the books are about finished, I know the complete story outline is. I know George, hung out with him and partied several times at conventions.  Have not talked to him in years, I think I will email him and find out what to expect,  but it's hard to get a straight answer from him, lol

H.B.O. has been going their own way with the scripts, sometimes following the books and sometimes branching off a bit.  In some places that story is about ahead of the books now so they don't have any choice.  It's been a joy to watch, right up there with Breaking Bad for keeping you on the edge of your seat.
I just saw the new Martin book at the library yesterday.  I forget the name but it is the prequel to Game of Thrones and tells all the previous ages of development.  It's illustrated very well and quite nice.

(06-23-2017, 11:59 PM)Ry Vor Wrote:

Interesting.  What kind of guy is he?

He is a fun guy, quite exstrodonary,  but very ordinary and can fit in anywhere and at the same time live the good life. He seemed to fit in to whatever environment he was in. He is always listening and watching others.