Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magic with Feudal Chivalry +25k gold to non-podium kingdoms
(09-02-2015, 01:38 AM)Ry Vor Wrote: In the previous Magic game, the one team that did not have a true wizard kingdom (would be JF's team #1 in this case) did well until about turn 12, and then got hammered.  This team lineup gives them the Gnomes, which is probably the #4 magic kingdom.  They didn't have that before (EL, DE, RA).

Based upon your logic/intent I would swap the WA and GN.  Then we have:

EL / GI / WA
WI / TR / DE
SO / BL / DW
RD / GN / DA

The way the teams are presently set the RD is almost obligated to invade 5 to protect both WA and DA from GI.  While I have no problem forcing RD and GI to fight each other, I really don't like the lack of tactical flexibility.  Once the WA and GN are swapped then the RD naturally protects both the GN and DA.  Even though that team begins with only two regions it has the big bad-ass RD.  Same is true for the GI team, which begins with only two regions but has the big bad-ass GI.  The switch also makes it so that each of the two shared regions are shared within the same team.

Just my initial thoughts . . .
Lord Thanatos

(09-02-2015, 01:38 AM)Ry Vor Wrote: Back when Phil was running Alamaze and I was out of it except talking with him, we would discuss Alamaze for hours on a weekly basis.  He loved the differences and nuance among the kingdoms, but when pressed on which was more important: kingdom or player, he would generally side on the strength of the player.  And he was the master diplomat as a player, so he was not necessarily the best tactician, but he would establish a relationship with many kings in the game.  Just saying, you could probably give someone like Jumpingfist a watered down Dwarven position and he could win. 

No generally about it . . .  the strength of the player is far more important than the differences between the kingdoms.

I like all of the kingdoms.  I have played all of them many times across multiple game formats and can say that I feel comfortable with all 15 of them.  It is your brilliance in affecting both balance and uniqueness which makes the defining feature in any Alamaze contest the decisions made by the players.
Lord Thanatos

(09-02-2015, 01:38 AM)Ry Vor Wrote: I like the preset teams as it brings clarity and a chance to form coherent strategy rather than fishing in the dark.  We have plenty of draft games as is.

I would dispute this assertion.

Preset teams will eventually result in predictable opening gambits.  Think in terms of the various opening moves in Chess.  One or two moves into the game everyone knows the name of the selected opening.  Not until a player deviates from the prescribed opening does the game take on the personality of the player.

"Coherent strategy" is begun with the first kingdom selected in a draft.  Having played many Warlord contests I can guarantee that drafting does not detract from "coherent strategy."  In fact, drafting enhances strategy because players have many more possible combinations of teams with each team having many different available opening gambits based upon the construction of the other teams.  We could draft with each of the teams being known in advance; but nobody knowing which players were guiding which team of kingdoms.  Anyhow, I am NOT complaining; I am merely discussing the Alamaze world we all love so very much!

I do agree that we have plenty of draft games.  I have no problem playing preset as a novelty.
Lord Thanatos

(09-02-2015, 04:38 AM)Lord Thanatos Wrote:
(09-02-2015, 01:38 AM)Ry Vor Wrote: I like the preset teams as it brings clarity and a chance to form coherent strategy rather than fishing in the dark.  We have plenty of draft games as is.

Preset teams will eventually result in predictable opening gambits.  Think in terms of the various opening moves in Chess.  One or two moves into the game everyone knows the name of the selected opening.  Not until a player deviates from the prescribed opening does the game take on the personality of the player.

"Coherent strategy" is begun with the first kingdom selected in a draft.  Having played many Warlord contests I can guarantee that drafting does not detract from "coherent strategy."  In fact, drafting enhances strategy because players have many more possible combinations of teams with each team having many different available opening gambits based upon the construction of the other teams.  We could draft with each of the teams being known in advance; but nobody knowing which players were guiding which team of kingdoms.  Anyhow, I am NOT complaining; I am merely discussing the Alamaze world we all love so very much!

I do agree that we have plenty of draft games.  I have no problem playing preset as a novelty.
Well, the kingdoms assigned in this game were unique.  Its not like this was the seventh edition of the same kingdom teams.  I would like to see how the game turns out with these kingdoms, acknowledging that the players will likely have a greater impact than the chosen kingdoms. 

(09-02-2015, 05:55 AM)Ry Vor Wrote:

Well, the kingdoms assigned in this game were unique.  Its not like this was the seventh edition of the same kingdom teams.  I would like to see how the game turns out with these kingdoms, acknowledging that the players will likely have a greater impact than the chosen kingdoms. 

I'm a firm believer that the player is the determinant factor in the game and this will be an interesting case study Smile All we need is one more team and we're good to go.

So, to clear up any confusion, the kingdoms will be the preset ones without substitution, correct? 

(09-02-2015, 10:43 AM)wfrankenhoff Wrote:
(09-02-2015, 05:55 AM)Ry Vor Wrote:

I'm a firm believer that the player is the determinant factor in the game and this will be an interesting case study Smile All we need is one more team and we're good to go.

So, to clear up any confusion, the kingdoms will be the preset ones without substitution, correct? 
YES.

Ok cleared all that up. We still need one team

Team 1 Damelon(2), Canticar(6), VballMichael(12)
Team 2 Jumpingfist(10), GrayHawk(0)(+25k), Imperial_Tark(0)(+25k)
Team 3 Morgan Kane(1), Madmardigan(0)(+25k), Lord Thanatos(7).
Team 4 could be you

One team remaining.

(09-02-2015, 03:05 PM)Jumpingfist Wrote: Ok cleared all that up.   We still need one team

Team 1 Damelon(2), Canticar(6), VballMichael(12)
Team 2 Jumpingfist(10), GrayHawk(0)(+25k), Imperial_Tark(0)(+25k)
Team 3 Morgan Kane(1), Madmardigan(0)(+25k), Lord Thanatos(7).
Team 4 could be you

One team remaining.

We just need one more team of three!

Lord Diamond, Frost Lord, and Bash Grimtooth???  The Stalwart FoR team???

Team 4 Lord Diamond (7), Bash Grimtooth (0)(+25k), Frost Lord(0)(+25k).  [Could be YOU.]

This team would have first choice!  You guys would edge out my team by one podium place (because Morgan Kane got lucky and stumbled into a podium finish costing us 25k gold and first choice of teams!)

What say you?  You Fall of Rome stalwarts are being publicly called out.

Come on, my friends  . . .  join this team game.  Smile
Lord Thanatos

I haven't heard from Bash in some time and am a bit concerned.  I've sent a couple emails but haven't heard back.  If anyone knows him a bit better and can update me, please send a message to support. 

You see them everywhere...... street corners outside the local internet café, college computer labs, public libraries, the basement of their neighbors house, sneaking off to the vacant company office room, or huddled up in their own computer den. Yes, we're talking newbie Alamaze players suffering from chronic "potential implosion due to a lack of a team game experience" illness. The symptoms are hard to miss: gnawing on their computer keyboard, checking the forum every 36 seconds to see if there's been a post, pacing the hallways, biting their fingernails, constant anxiety, a reluctance to excuse themselves to the nearest restroom lest they miss an e-mail, and wondering if they will have a team game in time for the weekend.

But YOU can help, you can help eradicate this horrific disease. By simply stepping up and forming a Magic team, you can ease their suffering. For just a few turns a month, you will bring joy back into their lives; to see the happiness in their little faces is truly a worthwhile moment. Won't you make that simple pledge today? Won't you make a difference in the life of a newbie Alamaze player who's on the edge? Help now when we're so close to a cure!!!!

For as Smokey the Bear always taught us: Only YOU can prevent "potential implosion due to a lack of a team game experience" illness in a new player.

This has been a public service announcement brought to you by the Newbie Alamaze Player Association.