Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Use Shield not Protect Leaders and Wizards
#1
After looking at a few of the expired games, I noticed that some of the newer players had cast spell #94 Protect Heroes and Wizards instead of spell #100 Shield for their battles.

Spell #94 should be cast to counter spell #96 Kill Leader/Wizard but it provides no benefit of keeping your leaders/wizards safe from harm when you attack a pop center or another group.

If you wish to reduce the chances of your figures from dying in battle, cast spell #100 Shield instead which reduces the damage to your troops and lowers the chances of your leaders/wizards from dying in combat. The Shield spell stacks with itself so if you have multiple wizards casting it within your group, the value builds up to further protect your troops and leaders/wizards.
Reply
#2
(07-13-2015, 07:29 AM)unclemike Wrote: After looking at a few of the expired games, I noticed that some of the newer players had cast spell #94 Protect Heroes and Wizards instead of spell #100 Shield for their battles.

Spell #94 should be cast to counter spell #96 Kill Leader/Wizard but it provides no benefit of keeping your leaders/wizards safe from harm when you attack a pop center or another group.

If you wish to reduce the chances of your figures from dying in battle, cast spell #100 Shield instead which reduces the damage to your troops and lowers the chances of your leaders/wizards from dying in combat. The Shield spell stacks with itself so if you have multiple wizards casting it within your group, the value builds up to further protect your troops and leaders/wizards.

This is big news-  while I thought it might affect leader death my suspicion had never been confirmed.  The way leaders die/advance these days could make this really valuable.
Note it doesn't say anything specifically about leaders in the spell description:




NAME: SHIELD SPELL #: 100

THIS SPELL CAUSES A GLIMMERING SHIELD OF MAGIC TO PROTECT THE FORCE, AND

INCREASES THE DEFENSIVE VALUES OF THE WIZARD'S GROUP, EFFECTIVELY REDUCING

THE CASUALTIES IT WILL SUFFER FROM BATTLE WITH A SPECIFIC OPPOSING GROUP OR

A POPULATION CENTER. THE AMOUNT OF BENEFIT RECEIVED INCREASES WITH THE

POWER LEVEL OF THE SPELLCASTER. PUT THE GROUP I.D. OF THE OPPOSING TARGET

GROUP IN COLUMN "C", OR IF CAST AGAINST A POPULATION CENTER, LEAVE COLUMN

"C" BLANK
Reply
#3
I believe he is just saying you will take less damage so you will have a lower percentage loss of troops. this would then make you have a lower percentage chance of loosing a leader. especially true if this was the difference of winning or loosing the fight.

For a long time I have noticed casting shield is better than casting most offensive spells.

another overlooked spell would be Valor. a lot of times the 10% bonus is better than an offensive spell and if it effects moral than it also has an effect on your defense(ie troop loss) where an offensive spell would only aid to attack strength.
Reply
#4
(07-13-2015, 10:26 AM)Jumpingfist Wrote: I believe he is just saying you will take less damage so you will have a lower percentage loss of troops.  this would then make you have a lower percentage chance of loosing a leader.   especially true if this was the difference of winning or loosing the fight.

For a long time I have noticed casting shield is better than casting most offensive spells.  

another overlooked spell would be Valor.  a lot of times the 10% bonus is better than an offensive spell and if it effects moral than it also has an effect on your defense(ie troop loss) where an offensive spell would only aid to attack strength.

Agreed.  I cast Valor a lot. If you have a big group it is very powerful.
Reply
#5
The chance of leader death is based on the percentage loss of troops, with various modifications by rank and kingdom.  For example, the base for a captain is the same % as troop losses, so losing 30% gives a 30% chance of a captain dying, before kingdom modifications.  A general has 70% of the troop losses as his base, so 30% losses gives a general a 21% chance of dying.

Protect Heroes and Wizards is a core spell when facing wizard kingdoms, but yes, is not useful attacking PC's.

Don't forget the combat attack spells now feature density, so they are doing 250% of base against an army group.  Try it, you'll like it.  Remember magic damage occurs after missile phases and before charge / cavalry. 
Reply
#6
Does Shield (and other defensive magic) go into effect before or after the arrows start flying?
Reply
#7
Spells like fear, valor, and shield occur at the beginning of battle before damage is inflicted. Other spells like earthquake occur during the Magic Phase of the battle (after Archers and before Cavalry). Some magic effects like the intrinsic pwr-3 presence, is split up appropriately where the shield aspect of presence occurs before battle and its damage portion occurs during the Magic Phase.
Reply
#8
Thanks.
Reply
#9
Thanks great tip. When playing a dragon kingdom should you always make sure to have atleast a p2 in your group to be casting this vs pop centers or groups?
Reply
#10
Hopefully, no player should ever feel he should always do anything in particular prior to anything else.  That's what I go for, anyway.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)