Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anonymous 12 player game?
Rick,

I have had a couple players ask about the possibility of an anonymous contest now that the Master/Apprentice, Seeking New Heroes, and Experienced Resurgent have all been filled.

Since I liked the changes in the Master/Apprentice format, I am hoping we can start an anonymous contest where the AN, DE and UN are all absent.

What do you think?
Lord Thanatos

Not Rick, obviously, but I don't see that the DE, AN or UN have any great advantage in an anonymous game. In fact, having them out would be a huge bonus to a few specific kingdoms. No reason why you shouldn't ask, but I think it would create an unbalanced game.

(03-23-2014, 08:04 PM)DuPont Wrote: Not Rick, obviously, but I don't see that the DE, AN or UN have any great advantage in an anonymous game. In fact, having them out would be a huge bonus to a few specific kingdoms. No reason why you shouldn't ask, but I think it would create an unbalanced game.

Balance is overrated. As long as everyone knows up front, everyone can plan accordingly...

A simple thing like eliminating kingdoms makes for a vastly different game. Some players may be interested in that. Some may not, I understand.

If everyone signed up for Imperator level service we could have lots and lots and lots of different formats because everyone would be in 5 - 8 games at a time. Just a thought...

Anyhow, if Rick says this is acceptable I would like to give it a try. If Rick says "no" I will dream up something else for him to approve or not.
Lord Thanatos

(03-23-2014, 08:20 PM)Lord Thanatos Wrote:
(03-23-2014, 08:04 PM)DuPont Wrote: Not Rick, obviously, but I don't see that the DE, AN or UN have any great advantage in an anonymous game. In fact, having them out would be a huge bonus to a few specific kingdoms. No reason why you shouldn't ask, but I think it would create an unbalanced game.

Balance is overrated. As long as everyone knows up front, everyone can plan accordingly...

A simple thing like eliminating kingdoms makes for a vastly different game. Some players may be interested in that. Some may not, I understand.

If everyone signed up for Imperator level service we could have lots and lots and lots of different formats because everyone would be in 5 - 8 games at a time. Just a thought...

Anyhow, if Rick says this is acceptable I would like to give it a try. If Rick says "no" I will dream up something else for him to approve or not.

Game 116 recently ended at turn 30. That was played as an anonymous team variant. I know some of the 116 players have mentioned interest in trying the 100% anonymous version.

(03-23-2014, 08:27 PM)Hawk_ Wrote:

Game 112 recently ended at turn 30. That was played as an anonymous team variant. I know some of the 112 players have mentioned interest in trying the 100% anonymous version.

You think they would still play with the variant I propose? Or should I scrap the request and make it a true 15 player anonymous contest?
Lord Thanatos

(03-23-2014, 08:33 PM)Lord Thanatos Wrote:
(03-23-2014, 08:27 PM)Hawk_ Wrote:

Game 112 recently ended at turn 30. That was played as an anonymous team variant. I know some of the 112 players have mentioned interest in trying the 100% anonymous version.

You think they would still play with the variant I propose? Or should I scrap the request and make it a true 15 player anonymous contest?

We'll see what Nikodemus says. He was the organizer of 116 and has been sending emails re: a new game plan.

LT are you taking about having the teams of the master/aprentise but anonymous so you would only know your partner? Or more just the same victory condition (three regions for 2 turns) but everyone plays anonymous by themselves?

(03-23-2014, 09:20 PM)Jumpingfist Wrote: LT are you taking about having the teams of the master/aprentise but anonymous so you would only know your partner? Or more just the same victory condition (three regions for 2 turns) but everyone plays anonymous by themselves?

I was just thinking the map gets a bit crowded with 15 players.

Plus, we should get 12 players to sign up faster.

Finally, I really liked how it changed the analysis of how to start the game with Arcania completely empty.

I am game for anything. I mostly posted this because a couple of newer players asked me about an anonymous format.
Lord Thanatos

I am in game 123 which was a 12 player anon. What was cool was that the missing 3 positions were unknown at the start of the game and we had to find out through playing. I highly recommend the format.
Lord Brogan

156 - GN

I agree having Arcania open in an anonymous game is actually a lot of fun. Who is brave enough to go and take there piece and risk war over the greed. And the northern kingdoms who notices first both the WA and GI had the same idea to head south. Could be a lot of fun.