Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Other Old Classics Still Going?
Is Adventure Kings the game where they actually mailed a floppy disk back to you? I remember enjoying it for a bit and then dropping for some reason; probably money since I was in the Air Force at the time.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

I played one where they printed various results in different colored inks. That was a "technological advancement" back thenWink
It was an Earthwood clone, called Evermore or something like that...
(04-17-2013, 02:01 AM)Kalrex Wrote: I played one where they printed various results in different colored inks. That was a "technological advancement" back thenWink
It was an Earthwood clone, called Evermore or something like that...

I don't ever recall getting a flopy back, but then, that was a good while ago and I played a LOT of different games (most of them in a playtest or review capacity, but still...)

(03-11-2013, 10:41 AM)paway Wrote: Duelmasters (now Duel2) and Hyborian War are still going, in classic play-by-mail format. Its surprising, but I think sticking to the PBM format has been the key to longevity for RSI's games. There is something about the anticipation, getting that turn in the mailbox that doesn't seem to be replicated by the email and browser based games.

It also has to do with the fact that not an insignificant portion of thier player base is incacerated.
Maniacal Menace
(04-17-2013, 09:31 AM)Maniacal Menace Wrote:
(03-11-2013, 10:41 AM)paway Wrote: Duelmasters (now Duel2) and Hyborian War are still going, in classic play-by-mail format. Its surprising, but I think sticking to the PBM format has been the key to longevity for RSI's games. There is something about the anticipation, getting that turn in the mailbox that doesn't seem to be replicated by the email and browser based games.

It also has to do with the fact that not an insignificant portion of thier player base is incarcerated.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

They also do a Forgotten Realms type hex-based strategy game.

Rick Loomis at Flying Buffalo is also still chugging along. I personally don't care much for his games, but you have to give him kudos for having a system that works, and utter devotion to processing times and such.

Way back in the 90's I played Alamaze with RSI. One of the other players was in prison, with his brother, for kidnapping the informant that got their drug-dealer parents arrested. I had to fill out a form to allow him to call me (I was in Japan) and receive letters. He was very dedicated to the game and worked in some prison-factory for the money to play.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

Rolling Thunder Games (http://www.rollingthunder.com/index.htm) is still running Victory! as well as a space empire building game called SuperNova. I've played a few games in the new PBEM format, and in discussions with Russ, one of the owners/moderators, I get the feeling that though there's still a reasonably large player base, it's both smaller than it once was when there was both Paper Mayhem and Flagship to advertize the games, and also that there hasn't been any meaningful growth in terms of new players for many years.

Adventurer Kings is still being run, for free, and yes, it was the game where they would send you a floppy disk with the turns on it. There's a web site, but I don't believe it's still active. You can contact the person running things now at adventurerkings@gmail.com. The game results are in English, but I've found that most of the players are European, some British, but many Dutch, as is the current moderator, as well as Italian, with the occasional American, Candian, German, etc.
Should have added that Flying Buffalo (http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/) is still running all of their old titles. I've played a few of them in the PBEM format and they seem to fill up quickly and have a good number of dedicated players, though in general I don't find the designs, perhaps with the exception of Starweb, that enticing.

RSI is still running Hyborian War as well as Duel II.

KJC in Britain is running Phoenix, Quest, It's a Crime, and Monster Island, as well as a few other, perhaps newer, titles. I tried playing It's a Crime and Monster Island, but for some reason, couldn't get the online turn submission interface to work at the time. Might try it again one of these days.
(09-01-2013, 10:35 PM)Alexicles Wrote: Rolling Thunder Games (http://www.rollingthunder.com/index.htm) is still running Victory! as well as a space empire building game called SuperNova. I've played a few games in the new PBEM format, and in discussions with Russ, one of the owners/moderators, I get the feeling that though there's still a reasonably large player base, it's both smaller than it once was when there was both Paper Mayhem and Flagship to advertize the games, and also that there hasn't been any meaningful growth in terms of new players for many years.

Adventurer Kings is still being run, for free, and yes, it was the game where they would send you a floppy disk with the turns on it. There's a web site, but I don't believe it's still active. You can contact the person running things now at adventurerkings@gmail.com. The game results are in English, but I've found that most of the players are European, some British, but many Dutch, as is the current moderator, as well as Italian, with the occasional American, Candian, German, etc.

I still play RTG's Victory the Battle for Europe. It's a fantastic game with about a 100 to 150 player community. I recommend it for someone that likes WW2 games. They have a fairly active web site with a lot of good resources.
Lord Brogan

156 - GN

The original Takamo is being offered as a free subscription from the Takamo Universe folks.

http://www.takamouniverse.com/takamo/