Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parley, Diplomacy and multiple groups at a PC
I think I know the answers, but I just want to double check.

If two groups from different kingdoms are at a PC, can either one use Diplomacy or Parley while the other is there? (assuming they don't attack each other)

Assuming you can, then if, say, the DA group uses 170 (Parley) and the GN group uses 171 (Diplomacy) the DA attempt will happen first, right? So that the GN might end up trying to Diplomacy a DA-controlled town instead of a neutral town?

If they're strong enough, the GN might end up taking the town from the DA, the same turn the DA took it?

Suppose both groups tried 171. I assume one would go first via random draw and the other might end up trying to use 171 on a controlled town?

When an emissary is in the town that is taken via Diplomacy/Parley, is there any chance of capturing them?

If a Sorcerer princess is in the town that the GN took from the DA, could she take the town diplomatically from the GN later in the turn (assuming she had already been given a usurp order)?
Follow up question... If an emissary from the GI is ordered to maintain status quo on turn 3 and then the GI wizard at the same area uses Diplomacy in turn 4, does the GI emissary work against their own kingdom's Diplomacy effort?
(04-12-2013, 07:50 PM)Jumbie Wrote: Follow up question... If an emissary from the GI is ordered to maintain status quo on turn 3 and then the GI wizard at the same area uses Diplomacy in turn 4, does the GI emissary work against their own kingdom's Diplomacy effort?
Oui.
Also, something I need cleared up from the commands description since there seems to be a typo. For order 170, it says that the success of the parley depends on many things including "the leaders rank".

Was that meant to be the leaders' ranks, as in all the leaders have an effect on the parley?

Or is it leader's rank, as in the top leader is the one who matters?

If the Diplomacy spell isn't used, then the prestige of the wizard lends no assistance by itself? Wouldn't the presence of a power 6 wizard in the group make it more potent as a diplomatic force compared to if there was just a power 1 wizard?
The key factor for a successful 170 is the strength of the group versus the PC (which leaders contribute to) and your regional reaction level. As far as I know, wizards have no effect on parlay value.
The leaders rank is taken into account in computing the value of the group v pop center which is then used in the calculation for parley.

C

(04-12-2013, 02:41 PM)Jumbie Wrote: I think I know the answers, but I just want to double check.

If two groups from different kingdoms are at a PC, can either one use Diplomacy or Parley while the other is there? (assuming they don't attack each other)

Assuming you can, then if, say, the DA group uses 170 (Parley) and the GN group uses 171 (Diplomacy) the DA attempt will happen first, right? So that the GN might end up trying to Diplomacy a DA-controlled town instead of a neutral town?

If they're strong enough, the GN might end up taking the town from the DA, the same turn the DA took it?

Suppose both groups tried 171. I assume one would go first via random draw and the other might end up trying to use 171 on a controlled town?

When an emissary is in the town that is taken via Diplomacy/Parley, is there any chance of capturing them?

If a Sorcerer princess is in the town that the GN took from the DA, could she take the town diplomatically from the GN later in the turn (assuming she had already been given a usurp order)?

Any group can attempt parley/diplomacy against a pop center in its area UNLESS it has issued a defend order, or retreated from group to group combat.
If those two groups attack each other with attack orders (no defend order), any of them that retreat (and they may both retreat from combat at the same time) can not have their kingdoms parley/diplomacy order attempted against the pop center.

RE: 170/171 - all 170 orders are resolved before any 171s are attempted, so your expectation is correct.
All orders of the same number issued in a turn are randomly seeded for order of processing. So the 170s would go off in random order and each would be evaluated as it found the PC (neutral/controlled/etc)

Parley/Diplomacy do not provide a chance to capture emmies in the pop center.

The SO emmie can attempt either a 320/330 order after a diplomacy/parley against the pop center where they are located. It may even make the chance of success better (if the new owner has a worse regional reaction level or ownership level in the region, for example).

Cipher
Anyone ever work out the mechanics of parley? (I saw the mechanics of using emissaries to usurp laid out in an Oracle article that was pretty cool.)

The article said that taking a city in friendly regions had a difficulty of 5, in tolerant regions a difficulty of 10 etc and that the power of the Prince was 80% of the King's power, so that for example a prince from a level 10 kingdom had a power of 8, so he could take a friendly city but not a tolerant one.

Is there a similar formula known for how much better than the PC defense the strength of the group needs to be in different reaction levels?

And how much advantage does a power one add with diplomacy compared to a power 2 etc?
Some things are okay left in mystery. I don't really want to know the math behind every facet of a fantasy game.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

(04-13-2013, 06:03 PM)Jumbie Wrote: Anyone ever work out the mechanics of parley? (I saw the mechanics of using emissaries to usurp laid out in an Oracle article that was pretty cool.)
As the author of that article back when I was all of 21, I very much appreciate that comment! Cool
actually, yeah, I did take note of the name and go 'wow' at the time because for some reason I had figured you for one of the newer players here. Now I know you're an original gangster.

BTW, was that article breakdown for first cycle or second? Or are they the same?