Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decoding Game #103, a Steel Game with Lots of Chatter
I should start my story by thanking Wynand for not being in the game and therefore giving me a chance to win. Thanks, man.

Next, I would say that two strong allies in Yellowbeard (DW) and Dupont (WA) helped keep my position from being totally unplayable by turn 6. To anyone playing as the Red Dragon in the future... expand first in the SOUTH. My attempts in Region 6 came to a grinding halt early and if it was not for an early deal made with DW in exchange for leaving region 3, things would have come to an early end for my position.... DW in particular kept supporting and supporting, to the point that I felt guilty for having a short, hairy sugardaddy. Loric, playing the EL, and bluefile2, playing the TR, also deserve mention for helping me with various things throughout the game, whether it was sending food or coordinating attacks on the Ranger capital.

With help from DW and WA we finally managed to bottle up a very stubborn DA opponent and I had an opportunity to expand. My RD position skipped through region 9 and went into what appeared to be a largely empty Southern Sands controlled, at the time, by Jumbie (playing the RA). Using mostly military at first and buying governors to defend what I took, the Sands fell in a few turns and somehow the kingdom that was just about done on turn 6 was holding 2 regions. I spent a turn consolidating the region and was about to move west towards Runnimede when things went sideways in Torvale. Hearing that the Giant now controlled 3 cities (Evanon, Viperhead, and Meridon) and figuring he was close to declaring victory, I switched gears to invade 5 and go for my own win, which only needed 3 more cities (I only had Vanasheen at this point).

I arrived at Evanon two turns later with an army group worth around 150k vs. pop centers, took the city, split the group, and flew to Viperhead and Avalon to try to wrap up. No snafus occurred and I was able to claim victory.

This was a game where things started out going very poorly (on turn 6 I think I was dead last in points), but once the momentum shifted in my direction everything was golden. It actually felt like I didn't have a whole lot of resistance aside from DA early on. There was no evidence of RA or BL in 10 on defense, nobody home at Evanon, and only a very beat up brigade of veterans at Viperhead. I'd like to think that I was set to defend my territory from attack (wonderfully named governors in every town or city I owned), but that attack never came. I'm still not certain why.

This game helped me to realize that the Red Dragon position is not for me. The extremely expensive troops, spread out starting position, and lack of ability to pursue artifacts made things too far out of my comfort zone. Not to mention the adept in my 2RD that failed the Rite 4 times, I believe.

Pros: Governors galore, 4 warlords, the strongest group I've fielded to date in Alamaze, the most prisoners I've had playing as anyone other than the UN, and a lot of witty banter in the forums (Joombeh!!)
Cons: Horrible start, not a ton of resistance past turn 10, no artifacts, that damn adept in 2RD, and too much drama in the forums.

Congrats to everyone that played. It seemed there was a lot going on across the map, and a lot of strong positions. Again, a huge thanks to Yellowbeard and DuPont for keeping me in the game. They are great people to work with, and I'd happily work with either going forward. Valterri was a tough opponent that I'd love to work with in the future. Heck, I'd even work with Jumbie. Maybe.
-The Deliverer

Messages In This Thread
RE: Decoding Game #103, a Steel Game with Lots of Chatter - by kevindusi - 07-03-2013, 03:56 AM