Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5507 24 hour Steel game
Victory By Rex Is The Sorcerer Kingdom!
                           Game End Status Points

Place Kingdom    Player                Results-26  Grand Total

1     SO     Wookie Panz               36,418      48,553
          2     DU     Acererak                  32,834      48,172
          3     UN     Blackstaff                27,512      41,936
          4     AN     Pine Needle               19,728      31,273
          5     RA     uncledarkseid             11,300      21,437
          6     BL     The Painted Man            9,300      18,658
          7     WA     Senior Tactician           9,692      14,809
          8     NE     Agent Orange               5,500      10,991
          9     RD     CosmicWizard17             5,200      10,175

This game finished on the 3rd.  I started writing it up earlier but got busy and had to put it on the shelf.  I'd like to give the other players a chance to tell their stories.
This was a 24 hour turn around and the first one of these for me.  I had done a two day turn around but doing a turn every day was a new challenge and made all other games seem very slow by comparison. 

I will break this down enough to hopefully interest any potential new players without boring the veterans completely to death.

Thanks to everyone that played and congratulations to the others that made the podium.  This was a pretty exciting finish with Both Ace with DU and Blackstaff with UN having 3 regions at the end.  Blackstaff, where did you come from, doing such a good job with UN?   I would love to hear the tales of the other areas and how those positions developed.

In the snake draft I had the 11th position.  When my first pick came there were 8 regions gone but Pelinor was still available so I chose it.  When my second pic came back the Necromancer, Rangers, Red Dragons, and Black Dragons had been chosen so I opted for the Sorcerer, often considered the strongest of the magic kingdoms.

With one of the favored regions and the best access to the Stormgate region Pelinor is often an early target.  Sorcerer, like all magic kingdoms , requires time to grow it's wizards.  It starts with a very weak military .  The agents are average at best but politically it is decent and the spell list is the best of all kingdoms.
The first challenge is how to stay alive long enough to develop..
In Untamed was RD, a relatively unknown player, Cosmic Wizard.  Nyvaria had the very experienced Drogo with CI and he is usually aggressive.  Darkover had UN with another relatively unknown, Blackstaff.  AN played by the very successful Pine Needle was in Triumvia and just below in Zanthia was Painted Man, a top notch player with BL.  Finishing the circle around me was NE in Mythgar played by Agent Orange.  All told, both dragons and CI plus UN, AN,  and NE all adjacent to my weak SO position.

Other than staying alive and developing the wizards an early goal was to have a better awareness of the whole game.  I have been learning from some of the best players that lots of recon makes a difference and there is a need to watch the rapidly advancing kingdoms if you expect to have time to develop your own.  

For customization I picked an adept, a point of influence, agent fro 2-4 promotion for early pc searches, promoted an ambassador, and 8 K gold to help with early orders.
The early game plan was just to stay alive and rather than attack to just develop and act as a spoiler if it looked like anyone was going for an early victory. 
My setup had a water town in Triumvia and a village in Untamed.  Other players in my region were the LIzard, (Windstar) with a town and CI (Drogo) with a village.

On the first move I used my second group to move on the fertile village of Cornucopia on their way home from Triumvia.  This would later come into play in an interesting way.

Control of the region came on turn 5 and I opted to leave both the LI and CI pop centers alone for awhile as there was no need to kick sand at military's stronger than myself, which was just about everyone.  I had found a human town on the sea and moved my capital there for safety's sake on turn 5, the same turn I took control of the the town.  CI could be a concern at sea but the following turn WA in Diamond Coast declared him enemy so CI was going to be busy up north for a bit.  Time to start some bounty spells but the first one failed on turn 7.

On turn 8 BLack Dragon got control of Sword Coast so I no longer had to worry about LI and I had taken his town by then.    Elsewhere IL declared UN enemy so I know they are fighting far from me.  AN will take a long time to develop as will NE below me. RD was still behaving in Untamed.

Turn 10 I finally decided to take the CI village and hopefully it has bought me some time with him.  E.S.O. gets 2 x power 1 wizards and an adept.  What else would a wizard kingdom do?  By now I have locations of BL in Zanthia as he got 2 regions very early.  LI surrenders the following turn so BL deserves a look.  I happen to see his capital the following turn and his king has just enamored Triumvia so he is making a move on his third region!  A couple of speed bumps would seem to be in order so a spell here, a spell there, and the edge is taken off of the political side of his attack against AN.

In a couple more turns I have a forge and start the all important orc army to get the combat modifiers working.  LI has surrendered and BL has Sword Coast as his second region.  He is the first play with two so I recon him and find his capital on the first try.  His king has just enamored Triumvia so he is ready to make a move on Triumvia for region 3!.  It's time to put up a speed bump or two.  A couple of spells later and the edge is off of his political attack as AN loses a few pc's and control of the region but holds on.

By turn 15 AN has regained control of Triumvia and also taken Stormgate politically.  CI has control of Diamond Coast and with his original Nyvaria has two regions.  It looks like he has wiped out WA but there is no surrender.  RA from Krynn has also declared BL an enemy so the threat of BL is greatly diminished.
Remember Cornucopia?  Someone has just rebelled it.  It's time to unleash the orc army

Things are heating up.  AN has an army group at Cornucopia. CI has just taken Stormgate politically from AN for his 3rd region and I see CI army group at Bronze Canyon, NP.  My orc army is on Stormgate and it has 3 CI politicians to go with the Baron I just kidnapped.  
A fortified Stormgate falls easily with lots of promotions and some elite units and my army moves to Cornucopia only to find it has just been plundered by AN who has moved on.  In his place is a CI army group, smaller than mine but with several warlords and very tough troops.  He also has another army group in Nyvaria.   I decide to fight while his forces are divided so my 21 brigades verses his 13 but a summon death take out 3 before the battle begins and the battle that follows kills another 24 % with less that 1 % loss for SO.
It's time to fortify Stormgate so a great castle is added.

The next turn all the CI forces converge and unite at Stormgate, now worth 95k defense.  SO patrols have teleported to Nyvaria and joined the politicians there.  Wizards and my King are throwing spells against CI and making him hostile while demonic visions ruin his troops and the SO army group recruits some orc replacements.  Elsewhere NE and RD are fighting in Untamed and DU,  which has been left alone in Zamora,  has come in the back door against NE and is taking over Mythgar.
The combined 27 brigades and 3 warlords of CI take Stormgate with about 10% losses.  SO wizards were busy elsewhere and unable to dome the small region.  In Nyvaria 2 SO patrols have summoned phantoms and take villages while the politicians wreak havoc, breaking CI control of Nyvaria.  The SO army group is on the CI capital at the City of Bronze Canyon.

The CI capital falls with 9% losses and lots of promotions.  SO now controls Pelinor and Nyvaria while CI has Stormgate and Diamond Coast and his forces are on 3 pc in Pelinor.  WA has gained back a water town in Diamond coast so he is still in the game.
The next turns see 5 kingdoms with 2 regions each and starting to race to the finish.  CI has 2 armies, an army group, and a division in Pelinor and one army is on my SO water capital but the legendary castle has a defense of 200k.  A dome has saved another town from assault while demonic visions have hit 3 CI groups.  CI is fighting the good fight but instead of dispelling a single dome with his one strong wizard a dispel regional spell could save the troops.
DU has spit out 5 power 7 wizards in 2 turns.  He is like a chicken laying eggs!

The game is in turn 22.  WA has broken CI control in Diamond coast.  CI just managed to capture 2 of my SO towns in Pelinor, dispelling a dome with his p 6 wiz and taking control of the region so he still has 2 regions, Stormgate and Pelinor.  MY SO is down to just Nyvaria but I hit 4 CI groups with cold darkness and my army group with 100k before modifiers is on the new CI capital at Stormgate.   My agents and wizards are busy sleeping and capturing the CI politicians and there is a kill order in so they can't escape.
DU has spit out 3 more power 7 wizards.  That's 8 in 3 turns!  What is ACE feeding those guys?  I hope I don't have to fight him.

Stormgate falls and the CI capital with it.  A slight miscalculation on my part has me regain control of Pelinor so 3 regions this turn- I wanted to stop just short of control and shop for a 4th region as a win is looking possible.  UN has taken Krynn for his 3rd region.  DU has hatched yet another p7 wiz and I think that is 9?  Insane wizard power.
I don't know it at the time but this was the last move by CI.  He rebelled Bronze Canyon but his 3 politicians were reported when they cam in so my army is on top of them.
I'm scouting for a 4th region.  To my west it seems everyone is fighting each other.  North in Diamond coast WA has fought his way back from elimination and recovered his region.
To the south RD and NE seem to have fought themselves to a standstill and both capitals are in Untamed and the towns look ripe for the picking.

Over the next couple of turns I dropped control of Pelinor by rebelling a pc to show control of just 2 regions and take the pressure off.  On turn 25 three groups and most of the politicians are in position to take Untamed and I declare victory the following turn by taking Pelinor and Untamed.  I miscalculated on the RD capital and bounced off with 64% losses but I had figured in extra pop center points just in case and took the region with 1 point to spare on turn 26.

This was my second Maelstrom win with SO and it is in my opinion the strongest of all kingdoms if well placed and given time to develop.  It will be interesting to see how they fare in the coming rules revisions which will limit fear, valor, and bounty.  Numerous bounty spells had put the food supply over 450k in this game.  The other multipliers put the first group of nearly 100k at about 300k without the help of spells. 
CI put up a very good fight but SO had the magic to kill his political game, the teleport spells to attack his rear areas, and the regional spells to kill the troops without fighting pitched battles.

Thanks again to everyone and please tell, as Paul Harvey used to say, "the rest of the story."

Messages In This Thread
5507 24 hour Steel game - by Wookie Panz - 11-12-2020, 09:02 PM
RE: 5507 24 hour Steel game - by Senior Tactician - 11-12-2020, 10:10 PM
RE: 5507 24 hour Steel game - by Wookie Panz - 11-12-2020, 10:57 PM
RE: 5507 24 hour Steel game - by Senior Tactician - 11-12-2020, 11:59 PM
RE: 5507 24 hour Steel game - by Pine Needle - 11-13-2020, 05:24 PM
RE: 5507 24 hour Steel game - by Strongwill - 11-13-2020, 06:16 PM
RE: 5507 24 hour Steel game - by Acererak - 11-13-2020, 09:47 PM
RE: 5507 24 hour Steel game - by Wookie Panz - 11-13-2020, 10:52 PM
RE: 5507 24 hour Steel game - by Acererak - 11-14-2020, 02:32 PM