Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Team Game
I just want to make sure I'm crystal clear on something. Even though we're not the team who felt strongly about how this draft would be conducted, are you now telling us, Rick, that the only way drafting can EVER happen is through LD? And that no other volunteer (and we have indeed had other volunteers, JF has actually done it, and I've also offered) can ever help other players out with a draft, such as when LD is busy or when we don't want to bother him with a bunch of e-mails?

And, for example, if we wanted to present you with a private Team or Warlords game with Kingdoms all picked in advance, you wouldn't take it and let us play?

I'd urge you to think about this one very carefully. We're basically almost done with our draft. And I say this as someone who has routinely expressed appreciation to LD for his various efforts and assistance, and is totally cool with him.

I don't mind being flexible with the drafting and welcome player input. I wasn't in the forums during all this discussion, or I would have given in once I fully understood what was being asked and that the players felt so strongly about it. It would have had to wait until today and this weekend though, as I was clear about the fact that I was traveling this week.

My only motivation for doing the drafting is that I want to help and I want everyone to have fun. This could have been handled much better on both sides, I think. More politely, for sure.

Since I was asked specifically, I did not ask Rick to intervene. That was entirely his decision and his prerogative.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

(07-17-2015, 04:10 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: The team with the draft demands has withdrawn. 

Drafts for team and Warlords games are conducted by Lord Diamond, not dictated by a player.  The withdrawn team can resubmit, understanding the draft is not per their specifications.  No one can tell LD he has to send 48 emails to do a draft that would take many hours.  Meanwhile, the game will form when we have a fourth team.  Post if you want in.  This draft will be done in the same manner LD has successfully done more than 20 times.

So lets do a fact check

-warlords draft format was my idea.  LD helped us draft ignoring the order the players in that first game agreed to.  did it work out good yes does it sound similar to now. hmmm
-LD volunteered to draft for us this game.  when he did not like the draft rules we agreed to he wanted to change them.  which was fine his choice if he does not want to take that much of his time.  we found someone else to help us draft the way we would like. 
-it takes exactly 13 emails to finish this draft.  12 sending one email for each pick and one to send the picks to sign-up.  He actually sends more than 2x as many emails doing the draft his way because sometimes kingdoms were taken and must be resubmitted, plus after each pick he must send a conformation email.  difference is he can send them all in groups rather than after each pick.

if we formed this game and gave you our picks would you have questioned anything?   because we worked out on the forum you now all pissy.   we should be allowed to make teams and draft anyway we like and provide you a list of who is playing what position.  none of the rules in this game require admin monitoring.

while I am in the claiming credit for my ideas your current version of the magic game(semi anonymous) was my idea as well. 

(07-17-2015, 04:59 PM)Jumpingfist Wrote:
(07-17-2015, 04:10 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: The team with the draft demands has withdrawn. 

Drafts for team and Warlords games are conducted by Lord Diamond, not dictated by a player.  The withdrawn team can resubmit, understanding the draft is not per their specifications.  No one can tell LD he has to send 48 emails to do a draft that would take many hours.  Meanwhile, the game will form when we have a fourth team.  Post if you want in.  This draft will be done in the same manner LD has successfully done more than 20 times.

So lets do a fact check

-warlords draft format was my idea.  LD helped us draft ignoring the order the players in that first game agreed to.  did it work out good yes does it sound similar to now. hmmm
-LD volunteered to draft for us this game.  when he did not like the draft rules we agreed to he wanted to change them.  which was fine his choice if he does not want to take that much of his time.  we found someone else to help us draft the way we would like. 
-it takes exactly 13 emails to finish this draft.  12 sending one email for each pick and one to send the picks to sign-up.  He actually sends more than 2x as many emails doing the draft his way because sometimes kingdoms were taken and must be resubmitted, plus after each pick he must send a conformation email.  difference is he can send them all in groups rather than after each pick.

if we formed this game and gave you our picks would you have questioned anything?   because we worked out on the forum you now all pissy.   we should be allowed to make teams and draft anyway we like and provide you a list of who is playing what position.  none of the rules in this game require admin monitoring.

while I am in the claiming credit for my ideas your current version of the magic game(semi anonymous) was my idea as well. 

I never meant to create a controversy.  I was just trying to avoid a repeat of game 175 where an entire region was left empty.

Also, Nicodemus started the thread and I believe would still like to play under any circumstances so please allow him in you would.

(07-17-2015, 04:57 PM)Lord Diamond Wrote: I don't mind being flexible with the drafting and welcome player input. I wasn't in the forums during all this discussion, or I would have given in once I fully understood what was being asked and that the players felt so strongly about it. It would have had to wait until today and this weekend though, as I was clear about the fact that I was traveling this week.

My only motivation for doing the drafting is that I want to help and I want everyone to have fun. This could have been handled much better on both sides, I think. More politely, for sure.

Since I was asked specifically, I did not ask Rick to intervene. That was entirely his decision and his prerogative.

agreed.  again sorry I did not email you as soon as we found a replacement.   I did not like how this forum topic was going so had stop posting in it hoping we could just finish our draft and be done.  but that was not enough for Ry Vor

(07-17-2015, 05:11 PM)Hawk_ Wrote:
(07-17-2015, 04:59 PM)Jumpingfist Wrote:

So lets do a fact check

I never meant to create a controversy.  I was just trying to avoid a repeat of game 175 where an entire region was left empty.

Also, Nicodemus started the thread and I believe would still like to play under any circumstances so please allow him in you would.

NO interest in ALAMAZE right now.  I will give it a day or two

Yes, we have started private games.  And no, it is not a problem, welcomed actually, to just send to signup: here are the 12 kingdoms, the teams, and the personas running them.

My issue is/was with players telling a volunteer that has done as much for this community as anyone, exactly what to do. 

Guys,

Why doesn't everyone take a step back and take a deep breath? LD was--as always--a gentleman and handled the draft as requested and has no complaints. I believe the draft is almost done and suspect everyone is happy with their picks. Seems like a waste of his time (and ours) to restart the whole process.

Not to make light of it, but it is amusing that I've been back less than a week and walk right into a totally dysfunctional situation....

was not LD that conducted the draft but not dragging anyone name into this nasty forum thread. I am willing to play as we draft with rules set up even if I never really liked them Smile hopefully the draft actually finished actually do not know where we are on that front. I know it was close to done.

(07-17-2015, 05:39 PM)Jumpingfist Wrote: was not LD that conducted the draft but not dragging anyone name into this nasty forum thread.  I am willing to play as we draft with rules set up even if I never really liked them Smile  hopefully the draft actually finished actually do not know where we are on that front.  I know it was close to done.

My questions are these:

Is the draft finished? If so, do the teams who've indicated they want to quit, going to quit? Do we need to recruit additional teams or are we good to go?