Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"True" Classic Interest?
UM, I'm sure VBM is aware of that tactic, but once you take your third region, people are totally onto you even if you lose control of one region the next turn.

The issue here appears to be the unannounced application of no-SVC-until-T20 to VBM's game, and I can understand why VBM would feel majorly shafted by that. I would be extremely unhappy if that had happened to me.

VBM,

Sorry to hear about that.  Your next setup is on the house - just remind when you submit kingdom preference, etc.

Meanwhile, to get back to it, this thread was to be about an interest in having Classic be available as a variant, and be static, so whatever your start a game with, will be the same rules you finish the game with.  If Red Dragons are too weak or too powerful, that's how it will be throughout that game, and may be adjusted in the next game, etc.  I am trying to see if at least 15 players want that, otherwise its not worth the effort.  And if you post you are interested, and we have ten or more, then we will post a startup thread for Classic and of course, I'd expect you'd sign up for it.

Thanks.

In the meantime, I like most of the new changes and would likely NOT be interested in a Classic game except maybe some day as a throwback fun game. And I look forward to the next iteration, or the Choosing.

Kudos to VBM for taking this with such class. I am in this game and doing well but he did plan his strategy following the exact language of the order as it is listed (i.e. SVC eligible on T16) If the change to T20 wasn't at least mentioned in the Active game thread for that particular game then it kind of seems like he really satisfied his SVC within the time that was stated and could well be considered the winner of this game. It's hard to hold a player to a rule change made and posted only in a separate and random thread but one that actually applies to our specific game. Defeat snagged from the jaws of victory.

I'm not going to dwell on it if he doesn't but I do commend him for his sportsmanship. I agree with HH that this would be a very dissapointing thing to happen through no fault of your own and I don't know if its possible, realistic or fair but I would be willing to give him this game if other players feel similarly. Not saying that this is feasible or should necessarily happen and I don't want to cause any trouble; I'm only saying that I would not oppose this if players felty it was the fair thing to do. And in any case I commend VBM for taking it like a menschSmile
-This Khal Drogo, it's said he has a hundred thousand men in his horde

Kudos to you too, Drogo. I'm not in the game, but I think that's a super-classy offer!

I just wanted to add that I don't think there is any blame to attach here. The game is in transition because it is being improved so these things will happen. A lot of things have to go right to win a game of Alamaze and we've all had bad luck that has taken us out of a game we had a chance to win. We are all investing a lot of time (and ego?) in these games and we want them to be won 'on the field' 100% of the time and (thankfully) it's obvious the game master's share this sentiment.
-This Khal Drogo, it's said he has a hundred thousand men in his horde

Their are of course two sides two everything. I am in that game and already knew the Elf could not win via SVC on turn 16 so there was no need to push the panic button just yet. I actually figured the EL player did not know as mentioned likely mist did not. Now that he has three regions obviously he becomes a target weather he let one go or not. 4 regions wins as well still and The EL can can take one as fast as anyone. My guess the EL may still win this thing anyway from the way I have seen most anon games go.

As for this thread. Yes I would play. But would want to know just what is in play and not fixed or how far back. Classic map? Chaos is a killer? 171 an effective tool? Maybe it should not be called classic though because that is already being used when talking about current alamaze. I think alamaze hard core would be a better name.

I don't have any interest in the 'classic' game--prefer to play in the newer formats, going forward.

The aspects of the  "classic" game  I want  to play are the old kingdoms (Paladins, Barbarians, ect), other then that it is just another variant  of the game.