Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#300 - Experimental
Happy holidays all,
Here are a few treats from the Paladins.  
The first was located in a sea zone so I'm not sure if the underlined area should be changed in the future...

Reconnaisance of unusual sighting in area xx by a patrol of the 3rd Paladin: 

A patrol consisting of General I Cole, Captain II Drake and a dozen hand-picked troops

rode ahead to investigate the sighting. It had been decided that the patrol would
     persevere even if difficulty was encountered, but would withdraw if the situation grew
     very perilous. Without a wizard present, the force was at a disadvantage. As the ship's
     crew was enjoying a clear day upon the open seas, the ship suddenly came to an abrupt halt
     making the crew believe that they had struck a reef. As the crew peered over the side to
     investigate, a gigantic tentacle came out of nowhere and crushed the life out of a crew
     member. Then more tentacles wrapped around the ship and a huge octopus like creature arose
     from the water. The patrol leaped into action to protect the ship and her crew. In the
     first moments of battle, 6 warriors were slain by this fiendish enemy. The patrol attacked
     with intensity knowing their situation was dire. A flurry of tentacles appeared as the
     creature slammed bodies against the hull, tore the sail, and smashed the wooden planks
     upon the ship. The crew became desperate causing the heroes to attack with even greater
     furiosity.  A new leader, Captain Redcliff has emerged as a courageous leader of much
     promise. The battle raged on, furiously contested for what seemed like hours. The next few
     minutes saw 4 soldiers lose their lives, but the enemy had been weakened. Bravely aiding
     the patrol was Captain Redcliff. General Drake demonstrated uncommon valor through out the
     fray. The battle raged for hours having more warriors perish. Together, the remnants of
     the patrol lunged at the massive creature, slicing off tentacles and other body parts
     until the giant octopus fell limp upon the ship's deck. The patrol had prevailed. The
     massive octopus was defeated. And a magically glowing key, the Key of the Gem. Attached is
     a papyrus which reads, "only he who possess 'The Key of the Gem' can hope to obtain the
     'Gem of the Planes'". The Key of the Gem can obtain the Gem of Planes. A group possessing
     this key will grant access to investigate the Gem of Planes' encounter. As the creature's
     body was split open and preserved for an exotic delicacy, an amethest necklace is found
     worth 3,000 gold. The Key of the Gem provides access to the Gem of Planes in area xx. 

Reconnaissance of unusual sighting in area xx by a patrol of the 1st Paladin: 
      A patrol consisting of Marshal Ginach, General I Vykor, General Fadien and a dozen
     hand-picked troops rode ahead to investigate the sighting. It had been decided that the
     patrol would persevere even if difficulty was encountered, but would withdraw if the
     situation grew very perilous. Without a wizard present, the force was at a disadvantage.
     The path is worn smooth, reflecting frequent usage at some time, yet now moss and other
     vegetation has grown up as visual proof that this passage carries little current traffic.
     A secluded vault with bizarre engravings, here they encounter a huge dwarf dressed in full
     armor guarding his treasure chest. With a quickness that belies his girth and a mighty
     bellow the dwarf lunges into the midst of the patrol toppling several of the soldiers.
     Within a few seconds 6 soldiers died at the hand of this evil opponent. Now the patrol's
     leaders fought with their full abilities. The conflict was furious. The huge dwarf proved
     to be a very formidable opponent. The contest raged on, its outcome in doubt.  Paladin
     leader General I Vykor was slain in battle. The battle raged on, furiously contested for
     what seemed like hours. The next few minutes saw 4 soldiers lose their lives, but the
     enemy had been weakened. The incredibly strong dwarf proved too much for the patrol and a
     retreat was sounded. The patrol made a hasty retreat with it's surviving members,
     reporting heavy-hearted back to the group. 

There will be services held this Sunday at the capitol.  Please send donations for his poor grieving family.  
Damn dwarves!
I am the greatest swordsman that ever lived. Say, um, can I have some of that water?

Is everyone experiencing zero losses when capturing pop centers via 150 or is this only an Elven feature?

Could be because of the awesome size of my army group but I was just wondering.

Any chance that will change during the game?

Everything else with game 300 seems 100% normal to me.

Red Dragon popped two of my villages and he experienced 0 casualties on both. One was a brigade force vs a 3000 defense. I don't see how that's possible even with the Red so it's either an error in reporting or an error in the code. There should be some attrition with every battle.

Assault by the 2nd Red Dragon small division on the Nomad village of Annatar, located in

area XXX of Southern Sands: In the first hour of morning General XXX commanded his 2nd
     Red Dragon small division to advance upon the village. As the attackers advanced through
     the Mountains the first missiles sang out. The Red Dragon skilled archers inflicted major
     damage to their opponents lines. The wall defenders skilled archers inflicted little or no
     damage to their opponents lines. The Red Dragon wizards XX and XX dismounted past
     the defensive misslers on the battlefield. The Red Dragon XXX was not a factor
     in the battle. The Red Dragon XXX was not a factor in the battle. The Red
     Dragon emphatic mages dealt out little or no damage to the wall defenders. Bolting ahead
     to meet the cavalry of their foes were the Red Dragon force and the wall defenders
     cavalry. The Red Dragon cavalry dealt out massive damage to the wall defenders lines. As
     the wall defenders cavalry imposed little or no damage to the Red Dragon ranks. The Red
     Dragon banner now waves nobly in Annatar! Red Dragon casualties were put at 0 troops. All
     Red Dragon leaders survived the battle. A new leader, Captain XXX has emerged as a
     courageous leader of much promise. All the Red Dragon wizards survived the fray. The
     indisputable nature of the Red Dragon force's victory has greatly increased morale. 

Assault by the 1st Red Dragon full brigade on the Nomad village of Vanimer, located in
     area XXX of Southern Sands: In the first hour of morning General XXX commanded his 1st
     Red Dragon full brigade to advance upon the village. As the attackers advanced through the
     Plains the first missiles sang out. The Red Dragon skilled archers inflicted devastating
     damage to their opponents lines. The wall defenders skilled archers inflicted little or no
     damage to their opponents lines. The Red Dragon wizards XXX and XXX dismounted past
     the defensive misslers on the battlefield. The Red Dragon XX  was not a factor
     in the battle. The Red Dragon was not a factor in the battle. The Red Dragon
     emphatic mages dealt out little or no damage to the wall defenders. Bolting ahead to meet
     the cavalry of their foes were the Red Dragon force and the wall defenders cavalry. The
     Red Dragon cavalry dealt out massive damage to the wall defenders lines. As the wall
     defenders cavalry imposed little or no damage to the Red Dragon ranks. The Red Dragon
     banner now waves nobly in Vanimer! Red Dragon casualties were put at 0 troops. All Red
     Dragon leaders survived the battle. All the Red Dragon wizards survived the fray. The
     indisputable nature of the Red Dragon force's victory has greatly increased morale. 

I just want to say I am impressed with the results coming in on scheduled time. I will be hitting a few encounters soon and will let all know results.

(12-26-2014, 07:51 PM)Airborne Ranger Wrote: I just want to say I am impressed with the results coming in on scheduled time. I will be hitting a few encounters soon and will let all know results.

Thanks. The sooner that I can update the code to use the actual game calculations (combat, sea battle, encounters), the sooner this program will go to production and run all the games. This playtest of game 300 has been very helpful to me in debugging the software so all the participants of this game should feel good about themselves.

But two people missed their orders last turn and I really need those to test the software so try to get your orders in on time. And as early as possible which helps me organize the files before the turn is run. A few players are just getting their orders in right before the noon deadline which puts me in a bind somewhat.

Keep in mind that I'm still running the game from my home pc because I don't have an administrative account on the server yet so the earlier that you get your orders in, the better it is for me to have the game available to run on time. Once I'm allowed to move all of this to the server, the game will run automatically and will make my life much easier.

---

About the zero leader deaths: Death rate in battles are based upon troop loss (as a percentage of losses) and further scaled by leader rank (generals die less often than captains). So if your group doesn't take any damage in the battle (because I don't have the actual battle algorithms yet), there's very little risk of losing your leaders in the battle.

I've already posted what the current battle calculation is doing during the archer phase and the other phases of battle are pretty much the same. So if you re-read that post, you can figure out yourself that if you overwhelm the pc defenses with a strong group, you won't take much losses in battle which is in direct relation to reducing your leader death rate.

If you want to see more troop/leader loss for yourselves then attack another group or pc with a group of yours that's relatively the same strength as your opposing target...

(WE) Bleah, I meant to declare the Druid an enemy and screwed up and declared the Dwarf instead. Sorry DW, I didn't mean it!

Made a few corrections to the code over the weekend.

Food/gold consumption rates by troops now considers fractional bonuses/penalties. For example, if your group contains 1 kingdom named brigade (requires both food/gold) and 9 skeleton brigades (no food/gold), your group will only incur a fractional bonus/penalty in proportion to the number of brigades that actually require the food/gold consumption. So if this group wasn't fed then your group will only incur a 1% morale penalty rather than a full 10% morale loss (since 1 kingdom brigade / 10 total brigades is 10% multiplied by the standard 10% food morale loss = 1%).

Fractional rates also applies to the morale/attrition (attrition occurs when there are consecutive turns of not feeding/paying troops) with order 238 (double feed/pay). So if the above group was double fed (normally a 5% morale gain), your group will only get a 1% increase in morale (code will round up/down since morale is a whole number). If you specify "B" to double feed and double pay your group then any bonus granted will be proportionally applied as above so all brigades that require food/gold must be fed/paid to get the bonus.

If you have a group with 5 kingdom brigades (both food/gold required), 2 monster brigades (just food), and 1 skeleton brigade (no food/gold) and you specify B with order 238, you'll only get a 6% bonus (not 7%) if the 7 brigades are fed and 5 brigades are paid. No bonus applies if the group (all brigades combined) are not properly fed/paid.

Another correction that I made was an improvement to the attrition adjustments which occur when you reorganize, recruit troops, receive reinforcements, transfer brigades between two groups with different attrition values, summon undead troops, or receive kingdom brigades as an ESO reward. The calculation isn't perfect and won't be until I have access to the official version but the code now handles the situation better than before.

Another correction was done to the locate character/group spell in that it also looks up prisoner lists (since prisoners are now possible to be stationed at different pop centers) if the specified character is a prisoner somewhere on the map.

And a few other changes but the above were the main modifications done. Turn 10 is due this Tuesday and is the first turn to grant ESO rewards so try to leave room in your 1st group if you decide to get any extra leaders/wizards.

During lunch, I added support for dropped players so starting on turn 10, if you miss 3 consecutive turns by not submitting your orders, you're out of the game. The code treats dropped positions as eliminated kingdoms:

(at end of turn)
- kingdom's emissaries/agents/priestess are removed from play
- kingdom's groups are removed from play
- kingdom's pc's revert to neutral ownership
- kingdom's prisoners are released back to their respective kingdoms (any prisoners whose original kingdom was previously eliminated from play dissimilate back into the realm [removed from play])
- kingdom's membership on the high council is revoked
- kingdom's ally/enemy declarations revert to neutral
- kingdom's artifacts are destroyed (broadcast message to all kingdoms)
---------------
Forgot to mention, if you own any emissaries/agents from the dropped/eliminated kingdom as prisoners, you retain them as normally. However, if they are released (executed or rescued by another agent), they are removed from play thereafter.

(12-29-2014, 04:09 PM)unclemike Wrote: Made a few corrections to the code over the weekend.

Food/gold consumption rates by troops now considers fractional bonuses/penalties. For example, if your group contains 1 kingdom named brigade (requires both food/gold) and 9 skeleton brigades (no food/gold), your group will only incur a fractional bonus/penalty in proportion to the number of brigades that actually require the food/gold consumption. So if this group wasn't fed then your group will only incur a 1% morale penalty rather than a full 10% morale loss (since 1 kingdom brigade / 10 total brigades is 10% multiplied by the standard 10% food morale loss = 1%).

Fractional rates also applies to the morale/attrition (attrition occurs when there are consecutive turns of not feeding/paying troops) with order 238 (double feed/pay). So if the above group was double fed (normally a 5% morale gain), your group will only get a 1% increase in morale (code will round up/down since morale is a whole number). If you specify "B" to double feed and double pay your group then any bonus granted will be proportionally applied as above so all brigades that require food/gold must be fed/paid to get the bonus.

If you have a group with 5 kingdom brigades (both food/gold required), 2 monster brigades (just food), and 1 skeleton brigade (no food/gold) and you specify B with order 238, you'll only get a 6% bonus (not 7%) if the 7 brigades are fed and 5 brigades are paid. No bonus applies if the group (all brigades combined) are not properly fed/paid.

Another correction that I made was an improvement to the attrition adjustments which occur when you reorganize, recruit troops, receive reinforcements, transfer brigades between two groups with different attrition values, summon undead troops, or receive kingdom brigades as an ESO reward. The calculation isn't perfect and won't be until I have access to the official version but the code now handles the situation better than before.

Another correction was done to the locate character/group spell in that it also looks up prisoner lists (since prisoners are now possible to be stationed at different pop centers) if the specified character is a prisoner somewhere on the map.

And a few other changes but the above were the main modifications done. Turn 10 is due this Tuesday and is the first turn to grant ESO rewards so try to leave room in your 1st group if you decide to get any extra leaders/wizards.
Hey Mike
These changes look awesome.  Thanks for all the work you put into this.  
Happy New year.
Mad
I am the greatest swordsman that ever lived. Say, um, can I have some of that water?

I agree, Mike has made lots of progress in #300.

The commentary on dropping after 3 missed turns was in place in Fall of Rome.  Copacetic. 

Looking forward to 2015.  Hope everyone enjoyed the holidays.  Turns will be run this evening.