Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Titan Anyone?
Teams were picked as follows:
1. Beatific: Giants
2 & 3. The Sten: Ancient Ones & Black Dragon
4 & 5. Beatific: Red Dragon & Underworld
6 & 7. The Sten: Ranger & Demon Princes
8 & 9. Beatific: Troll & Witchlord
10 & 11. The Sten: Elf & Dark Elf
12. Beatific: Gnome

We're playing with no HP till turn 11.

The Sten

P.S. I actually like Beatific's picks better than mine--mine are nations that I like, not ones that are good together.

I'd be a bit concerned regarding BL and RA being your two military powers.
-The Deliverer

I know, but then again I usually play the nations that I like, not the nations that make sense--my downfall--it is only a game, might as well have fun and no stress.Big Grin

(10-09-2014, 01:32 PM)kevindusi Wrote: I'd be a bit concerned regarding BL and RA being your two military powers.

(10-09-2014, 01:32 PM)kevindusi Wrote: I'd be a bit concerned regarding BL and RA being your two military powers.

There have been a lot of changes implemented and proposed. I assume this game will have the diplomacy mods implemented by cipher but will not contain the racial adjustments (acuity, 565's, etc).........I pick this up from the various threads but it probably should have been made clear from the start. We can pick over, if you want Smoyes..........Dusi's observation probably just means it may take you a little longer to trounce me, but if you want to redraft it makes no nevermind to me.......If not, prepare to meet the brigades of Deth..........um, when they can figure out which side of the pike is up......or how to prevent red dragon from taking the occasional Gnome midnight snack.......while the Witchking's main henchman and wizard extraordinaire Ry Vor is just shaking his head and wondering what the kingdom of Alamaze is coming to..........They'll let any putz play Titan games these days.......Thanks Ry Vor for letting us do this.....Can we go play now dad? Sten wants to beat me up for a while.......Tongue

Beatific,

I'm good--as I said "I like these nations" not that playing them together makes sense, but they're fun for me.

I just look at the "Commands" link on the top of the web page to get my orders, if they're not up to date, then "Oh well". It is just a game to me.

The Sten

(10-09-2014, 01:47 PM)Beatific Wrote:

There have been a lot of changes implemented and proposed. I assume this game will have the diplomacy mods implemented by cipher but will not contain the racial adjustments (acuity, 565's, etc).........I pick this up from the various threads but it probably should have been made clear from the start. We can pick over, if you want Smoyes..........Dusi's observation probably just means it may take you a little longer to trounce me, but if you want to redraft it makes no nevermind to me.......If not, prepare to meet the brigades of Deth..........um, when they can figure out which side of the pike is up......or how to prevent red dragon from taking the occasional Gnome midnight snack.......while the Witchking's main henchman and wizard extraordinaire Ry Vor is just shaking his head and wondering what the kingdom of Alamaze is coming to..........They'll let any putz play Titan games these days.......Thanks Ry Vor for letting us do this.....Can we go play now dad? Sten wants to beat me up for a while.......Tongue

I'm not saying The Sten can't win here (I put my $1.25 on him, after all). I was just saying that, with recent changes, I think the importance of one of the military powerhouses needs to be considered in this format.

Keep us tuned in on how things go with the game!
-The Deliverer

(10-09-2014, 02:39 PM)kevindusi Wrote: I'm not saying The Sten can't win here (I put my $1.25 on him, after all). I was just saying that, with recent changes, I think the importance of one of the military powerhouses needs to be considered in this format.

Keep us tuned in on how things go with the game!

Situation Report 1:

Coming onto turn 3 and I can already see some things I should have done quite differently. One thing off the cuff is to not overrely on the orders checker. As someone once said, "the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits". I had issued order 977 for all my vaunted Underworld agents instead of 976 for turn 2 with zilch to show for it. The orders checker, of course, let it pass through because it is a valid order. So, as unpleasant as it is to double check your orders in a Titans game, it is vital if you do not want to pull bonehead maneuvers.

Sten is making some very good moves (from my perspective) and, as I try to counter them, I am learning why they are good moves. The military difference is likely to be well overwhelmed by the experiential advantage, but, most importantly, I am learning a lot and enjoying myself immensely. I would recommend a Titan game for those who like to learn by drinking through the fire hose but strongly recommend doing it with someone like Sten who is willing to point out what you could have done better (which I really appreciate). I won't claim to be an expert in the game after this, however, I will have run a heavy military (GI and RD), heavy agent (UN), and heavy magic kingdom (WI) in this game.

Oh, one other thing. I think I understand why the magic kingdoms are not much value in a Titans game (this from a comment from a veteran player). Simply not enough time to develop them. I strongly do not recommend taking a magic kingdom in a Titans game. The amount of money required to develop them is much too importantly applied to recon and military development in the other kingdoms. At least from my perspective. Also, the new 170/171 rules heavily change the dynamic away from the magic kingdoms (at least from what I remember playing the WI before). All that is left is diplomacy which, in this game, goes heavily to Sten since his kingdoms are much more diplo oriented. All in all, do not take a magic kingdom........at least in a Titans game. Of course, all of that could be because I do not yet know how to effectively use them in that sort of milieu.