Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Guard/Counter-Espionage
Cipher Wrote:Guard and Counter espionage effects are cleared at the beginning of every turn.

Does this mean there is no defense, other than Ward, to the Underworld early kidnap special order?

(09-13-2013, 08:58 PM)HeadHoncho Wrote:
Cipher Wrote:Guard and Counter espionage effects are cleared at the beginning of every turn.

Does this mean there is no defense, other than Ward, to the Underworld early kidnap special order?

I hope not. The Underworld setup (old version) says regarding the early kidnap order (order 295): IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT WARDS AND GUARDS FROM THE PREVIOUS MONTH CAN AFFECT YOUR AGENTS CHANCES.

If that's no longer the case then agents become unstoppable.

Also, if the guard/counter-espionage effects are cleared at the beginning of each turn then what about order 615 (spoil food supplies)? If you read this order's description in the rulebook it states that an agent's chances of success are "modified by any agent on counter-espionage". I guess that is no longer the case now.

The same problem goes for order 385 (emissary attempt escape), 692 (learn group morale), and 900 (bribe political emissary) since these occur before order 920/925.

I guess these and any future orders are now undefendable since guard/counter-espionage effects are cleared at the beginning of the turn. More power to the Underworld kingdom Smile

But I am glad that Cipher finally fixed that sleep spell problem that was carrying over into the next turn and affecting my emissaries (see Active Game News->Known Issues thread).

What was the question?

Cipher just posted a clarification under Known Issues about guards clearing at the end of the turn. The implication is that the UN early-kidnap order can only be defended against with a Ward, and not a guard from the prior turn.

I'll double check the agents clearing guard, etc.
It may be treated differently somewhere else in the code, more time digging! Yay!

Yaaay!

(09-13-2013, 11:57 PM)Jumbie Wrote: Yaaay!

Digging is sort of instinctive, I think, or maybe I was thinking of music. Yes. that's it.

Guard effects (including counter espionage) are cleared at the beginning of the 920 sequence, so the effects follow the current turn through 919 in the sequence of the following turn. Rather than resetting individual values the program clears the entire tables, a little different than the other means of resetting table entries, so I had to look for something different in the code to find it.

On the flip side, does this mean that it is impossible for UN to receive the benefits of a sleep spell against an emissary when using its early-kidnap special order?

Something that's not clear from the command descriptions: Does a counter-espionage order defend against assassination/kidnapping (to a lesser degree than Guard) or is it only the Guard command that protects against assassination/kidnapping?