Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any one here play or has played Hyborian wars ?
Curious

(02-15-2020, 08:12 PM)Ry Vor Wrote:
(02-15-2020, 04:52 PM)Brekk Wrote: Curious

Yes.  As far as I know, it is still in its original 1986 version.  The talk is it is still by snail mail because half of the players are inmates.  Just second hand stuff.

I did play, the best part of the game was the map.  The turn results are lengthy but agonizingly repetitive, whole paragraphs or stories repeated verbatim.  

I've mentioned here before that after Alamaze, and after Hyborian War, RSI asked me to design their next game.  Somehow despite that, I was able to remain friendly with both Ed Schoonover (HW designer) and Paul Brown (owner).  

Checking to make sure I got Edward's last name spelled correctly, I stumbled upon this Wikipedia article on Alamaze, which I had never seen before but had to be written by someone at RSI around 1990.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alamaze

I was always (meaning when I started my PBM journey in 6th grade) intrigued by Duel Masters (apparently now duel2). Did a quick google search and looks like it's still snail mail through RSI... speaks well to the progress that Alamaze has made in joining the digital age and also makes me wonder if anyone actually plays it any more.

I have played HW off and on for years, my last game was about 5 yrs ago. If its a full game, 36 players, there is a lot of chit chat, they have a player run website/forum called warbaron.
the turns are a tedious read as they are often the same.
RSI claimed to have updated the game but who knows.
Yes still snail mail, and a few inmates play the slow games

RSI also ran the 1st cycle many years ago, have they ever tried to buy or lease the 1st cycle again?

Hey painted man, play a game and see if you can find yourself a few prison penpals!

(02-16-2020, 05:12 PM)The Painted Man Wrote: I was always (meaning when I started my PBM journey in 6th grade) intrigued by Duel Masters (apparently now duel2). Did a quick google search and looks like it's still snail mail through RSI... speaks well to the progress that Alamaze has made in joining the digital age and also makes me wonder if anyone actually plays it any more.

I had several Duelmasters teams.  "Masters of Troy" was one, with Ares, Ajax, Achilles, Odysseus, Menelaus, Agamemnon.  One was "100 Proof", with Screwdriver, White Lightning, Black Russian, and The Worm, who was my only total parry fighter.  The team that drove the RSI guys crazy, who were at the adjacent booth at Origins, was "Struck in the Head".  It was a complete play on the result text you got.  So fighters were "His Mother in Law", "His left buttocks", "The Crowd".  So results back were like, "The Crowd is sweating profusely", "His Mother in Law is struck in the head ", "His left buttocks lunges forward menacingly", that kind of sophomoric humor.  Lots of giggles, not so much from the RSI people.  But, you have to laugh at yourself from time to time. That team was infamous at RSI, when we met and it was revealed, "So, YOU are that guy!"

That's awesome, and also 100% my type of humor as I'm sure many can attest to with my emissary names.

I've played HW and DM a lot.  Both are worth a try but I doubt I have the patience for a paper and pencil snail mail game anymore... hell the 3 day wait here is challenging.

(02-16-2020, 09:13 PM)Senior Tactician Wrote: I've played HW and DM a lot.  Both are worth a try but I doubt I have the patience for a paper and pencil snail mail game anymore... hell the 3 day wait here is challenging.

Curious if the snail mail aspect of it adds and charm? Seems fun!