Alamaze & Fall of Rome Forum
Resurgent Map - Printable Version

+- Alamaze & Fall of Rome Forum (https://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum)
+-- Forum: ALAMAZE (https://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Alamaze Rules and Resources (https://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Resurgent Map (/showthread.php?tid=9717)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Resurgent Map - Drogo - 02-24-2015

Its there now. Thanks.

Sorry if this is dense but how are you using the Agent Recon icons?

I assume the group/emissary arrows are to show range?

RE: Resurgent Map - Lord Diamond - 02-24-2015

(02-24-2015, 03:42 PM)JGDrogo Wrote: Sorry if this is dense but how are you using the Agent Recon icons?

I assume the group/emissary arrows are to show range?

If I am using 978, I will copy and paste four of those into the spaces that I am doing the reconaisaance. I use different color borders for 976, 977, and 978. The agent ID is in the box.

I use the black arrows to mark out the path my groups will take with 720. I use blue for 725. I use yellow arrows to show where my nobles are going. I also use gray for agents. For the groups, I might use several arrows marking each square. 

On the group icons, I will add an 'a' after the number if it is an army, 'p' for patrol, etc..

For the emmy icons, I actually have he initias on the top line in size 5 font and the rank on the bottom in size 4.

For agents, it will be 'JO4' to represent level four agent John. 

I also use little eyeballs (I didn't include them) to show pcs that I am prrforming reconaissance on. 

RE: Resurgent Map - bananas - 02-24-2015

Holy icons, LD! How am I supposed to support all that on my dinky little TurnParser?! Thanks for filling my head with more cool ideas! Smile

RE: Resurgent Map - Jumpingfist - 02-24-2015

I think LD should play a team game I know I would love to have those crazy map skills on my team Smile

Possible to get an example of an old map? I'm trying to figure out why it's helpful to mark the path your group will travel or has traveled. I just keep track by noting if there is a PC or US in each area, not the path my groups traverse. Or is this just something you mark in advance to give you the big picture of your turn?

RE: Resurgent Map - Lord Diamond - 02-24-2015

(02-24-2015, 04:58 PM)Drogo Wrote: Possible to get an example of an old map?  I'm trying to figure out why it's helpful to mark the path your group will travel or has traveled.  I just keep track by noting if there is a PC or US in each area, not the path my groups traverse.  Or is this just something you mark in advance to give you the big picture of your turn?

I do it to have a visual of the path they will take that turn. Sometimes, I see a better way. It also keeps me from screwing it up when I type it out.

It also helps me to know exactly what path my groups scouted the turn before.

I creat a new map for each turn so I can go back and see what I did for turn 12 for example. It is rarely necessarry, but when I'm trying to find out when I searched a particular sighting it can be very valuable indeed!

I will send you my map from game 151 and you can see what I mean. 

RE: Resurgent Map - Ry Vor - 02-25-2015

(02-24-2015, 05:40 PM)Lord Diamond Wrote:
(02-24-2015, 04:58 PM)Drogo Wrote: Possible to get an example of an old map?  I'm trying to figure out why it's helpful to mark the path your group will travel or has traveled.  I just keep track by noting if there is a PC or US in each area, not the path my groups traverse.  Or is this just something you mark in advance to give you the big picture of your turn?

I do it to have a visual of the pah they will take that turn. Sometimes, I see a better way. It also keeps me from screwing it up when I type it out.

I creat a new map for each turn so I can go back and see what I did for turn 12 for example. It is rarely necessarry, but when I'm trying to find out when I searched a particular sighting it can be very valuable indeed!

I'm pretty sure that is a major advantage of the Turn Parser - you effectively have a map and lots of results for any turn at your fingertips instead of looking at multiple files. 

RE: Resurgent Map - Lord Diamond - 02-25-2015

(02-25-2015, 01:41 AM)Ry Vor Wrote:
(02-24-2015, 05:40 PM)Lord Diamond Wrote:

I do it to have a visual of the pah they will take that turn. Sometimes, I see a better way. It also keeps me from screwing it up when I type it out.

I'm pretty sure that is a major advantage of the Turn Parser - you effectively have a map and lots of results for any turn at your fingertips instead of looking at multiple files. 

The turn parser has it's uses, but you can't currently use it  to plan your next turn, see where unusual sightings were investigated, or show the areas that were cleared for unusual sightings and/or pcs. You can show that it was cleared, but not of what. You can't mark pcs that you learned about via diplomacy instead of your turn report either.

For me, it's an extra resource that does not replace any that I was already using.

RE: Resurgent Map - Ry Vor - 02-25-2015

That's all true as of today, but Bananas has been diligent, and more than willing, to incorporate new ideas.  He's been asking for them.  He also is trying to adapt it to the new platform - so parsing XML or HTML files instead of PDF.  This started as an idea and its close to being quite a handy tool.  Its a work in progress.  He's always looking for feedback.  That said, I think its outside the scope of the Parser to project forward anything on the map, its really a way to organize your info so you can pick a PC on the map (for example, or a group, etc) and find out the info on it and when was the last time you knew about it, and more history on it, so the player doesn't have to record all that or sift through old turns.

I suggest to other players to try out the new version which does not require installing Ruby.  Don't get hung up on the technical language in the instructions, you don't need it.  Just download it, run, give it about 3 minutes maybe while it just stares at you, then a map will appear, click File and chose Parse, then navigate to your Turn 0 of a recent game, give it again a couple minutes the first time through, and you'll see the first 4 PC's appear on the map.  Parse each turn in sequence, so Turn 1, Turn 2, etc.  These parse more quickly.  Save it to your directory where your turns are stored, and then start playing with it.  It may sound harder than it is.