Alamaze & Fall of Rome Forum
New Spells - Printable Version

+- Alamaze & Fall of Rome Forum (https://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Third Cycle (https://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Forum: Third Cycle Player Input (https://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: New Spells (/showthread.php?tid=8787)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

New Spells - Ry Vor - 12-30-2013

Here we might post or seek ideas on spell changes, spell deletions, and spell additions in what we have as a working title, "3rd Cycle".

RE: New Spells - Ry Vor - 12-30-2013

New Spell: Create Time

This spell, perhaps in a mid power and high power version, grants additional commands to the King for the current turn. Perhaps the mid level adds 3 (net 2 after the spell itself), so a king that could issue 14 commands can issue 17 (including the spell) in that turn. The high level one perhaps adds five commands. After all, we create gold, food, next must be time.

Wolf Familiar. Like an L4 on counter-espionage.
Eagle Familiar. Like an L4 performing advanced recon. (Oh, there will be a new advanced recon).

Re-balancing combat spells so they retain effectiveness in large battles, but do not overwhelm in smaller ones. Considers the opposing troop density, you see.

Oh, and....Resurrection

RE: New Spells - Wynand - 12-30-2013

How about this?

New Spell: Mystique

Makes your emmisary look like he/she belongs to another kingdom if the PC that they are based in is reconned.
Reports on this emmisaries activity (incites, usurps, etc.) would similarly suggest that the noble in question is aligned to another kingdom.

A high level wizard outside of the PC might be able to detect.

RE: New Spells - Cargus10 - 12-30-2013

How about some Summon spells that don't involve monsters or undead (so the "goods" don't have to feel squicky about casting them)?

A high level spell that has a chance of locating a new Adept (say, P6 for most folks, and the chance varies depending on how"magical" the kingdom is, much like R0M)?

A higher power Ward spell that "bites back" - works like a regular Ward, but if an assassination or kidnap is attempted, it acts like an Agent-4 on Guard?

A really high powered spell that does a Ward or Sleep for a whole region?

(Just tossing out random ideas here. Some of these may well be too unbalancing!)

RE: New Spells - Yellowbeard - 12-30-2013

I agree with re-balancing combat spells. I've seen some pretty shocking results. See below for an example.

A p7 presence, a p6 earthquake and presence, and a p3 chaos and presence. I believe a presence is a lightning attack and shield 2 lvls lower (correct me if I'm wrong), so total magic dmg is over 11000 points of dmg. Add in 3 shields and a chaos and the results are the gnome is crushed and the AN only loses 2400 troops.

Gnome:
4 brigades
Captain II
P7
P6
P3

Ancient ones:
5 brigades
Marshall II
No wizards
High attrition/very high morale

DETERMINED ATTACK < TACTICAL SELECTION > STANDARD BATTLE PLAN
AT THE FIRST LIGHT OF DAWN CAPTAIN ORDERED THE GNOME DIVISION TO BEGIN THE ATTACK UPON THE
ADVANCING LINES OF THE ANCIENT ONES FULL DIVISION LED BY MARSHAL II. AS THE ATTACKERS SWEPT OVER
THE HIGH PLAINS THE FIRST MISSILES SANG OUT.
HOLDING THAT THEIR NATION HAD DECLARED THE ANCIENT ONES TO BE AN ENEMY OF THEIR KINGDOM'S IDEALS, THE GNOME
FORCES WERE CLEARLY ANXIOUS FOR BATTLE AND BENEFITED FROM INCREASED MORALE AS THEY PREPARED TO FIGHT THEIR
DECLARED ENEMY!
DUE TO THE FACT THAT THEIR NATION HAS MADE THE GNOME AN ENEMY OF THEIR KINGDOM, THE ANCIENT ONES TROOPS WERE VISIBLY ENERGIZED AND HAD THEIR MORALE RAISED AS THEY PREPARED TO MEET THEIR DECLARED ENEMY!
THE ANCIENT ONES SKILLFUL BOWS OF THE ONES CLAIMED APPRECIABLE LOSSES TO THEIR OPPONENTS LINES. THE GNOME
POWER-7 WIZARD GLOWERED INTENTLY AND ISSUED INDECIPHERABLE UTTERANCES. WITH CHILLING EASE HE FIRED
MANY VOLLEYS OF MINOR PHANTASMS AND MAGICAL BOLTS INTO THE RANKS OF THE ENEMY. THE GNOME POWER-6 WIZARD
BEGAN SORCEROUS INCANTATIONS IN AN UNKNOWN TONGUE. WITH AWE-INSPIRING PRECISION HE LAUNCHED MANY
KILLING ILLUSIONS AND WAVES OF DEADLY COLD INTO THE RANKS OF THE ENEMY. THE GNOME POWER-6 WIZARD WHILE
SEEMINGLY DETACHED FROM ALL ELSE, SEEMED TO DRAW WITHIN HIMSELF AND BEGAN TO INCANT. A LOW RUMBLING BEGAN,
WHICH QUICKLY ESCALATED INTO A FULL EARTHQUAKE, IMMEDIATELY BELOW THE MAIN RANKS OF THE HAPLESS ENEMY! MANY
THOUSANDS PERISHED. THE GNOME POWER-3 WIZARD BEGAN SORCEROUS INCANTATIONS IN AN UNKNOWN TONGUE. WITH
AWE-INSPIRING PRECISION HE LAUNCHED MANY PHANTASMAL FORCES AND DEADLY PYROTECHNICS INTO THE RANKS OF THE
ENEMY. THE GNOME POWER-3 WIZARD BEGAN SORCEROUS INCANTATIONS IN AN UNKNOWN TONGUE. HIS MAGIC CAUSED
ILLUSIONARY SOUNDS AND SIGHTS TO CONFUSE HIS FOES AND CONFOUND THEIR COMMANDERS: CHAOS REIGNED AND THEY WOULD
BE UNABLE TO ORDER A RETREAT SHOULD IT BE NEEDED. THE POWERFUL GNOME MAGES ADDED TREMENDOUSLY TO THE DEFENSE
OF THEIR GROUP. THE GNOME RESOURCEFUL MAGES CAUSED SUBSTANTIAL DAMAGE TO THEIR FOES.
QUICKLY MARSHAL II LED THE ANCIENT ONES LIGHT ARMORED BUT SKILLFUL HORSEMEN DOWN UPON THE GNOME
LINES. THE ANCIENT ONES RIDERS IMPOSED SUBSTANTIAL DAMAGE AGAINST THE ENEMY. IN RETURN THE GNOME CAVALRY
CLAIMED MINOR LOSSES TO THEIR FOES
NOW THE TIME HAD COME FOR THE MAIN BODY OF EACH FORCE TO CLASH. THE GNOME FORCE DEALT OUT MINOR LOSSES TO
THE ANCIENT ONES RANKS. IN RETURN THE ANCIENT ONES FEARLESS BROADSWORD-WIELDING FOOTMEN INFLICTED SUBSTANTIAL
CASUALTIES TO THE GNOME LINES. HOUR AFTER HOUR PASSED, YET NONE COULD TELL WHICH SIDE WOULD FIRST BREAK AND
WHICH WOULD TRIUMPH.
CAPTAIN II SAW THAT FORTUNE WAS NOT WITH THE GNOME THIS DAY, AND SIGNALLED THE RETREAT. THE GNOME
SEEMED ILL PREPARED FOR THE RETREAT: SEVERAL SECTIONS OF THE LINES DID NOT FALL BACK WELL, AND TOOK HEAVY
LOSSES. GNOME LOSSES WERE SAID TO BE 6600 TROOPS. GNOME HEROES BATTLED COURAGEOUSLY. ALL GNOME LEADERS
SURVIVED THE BATTLE. A NEW LEADER, CAPTAIN HAS EMERGED AS A STRONG LEADER OF GREAT PROMISE. THE GNOME
WIZARDS AND AND SURVIVED THE FRAY. THE GNOME GROUP'S MORALE WENT UP EVEN THOUGH THEY
RETREATED DUE TO THEIR FORTITUDE. ANCIENT ONES CASULTIES WERE ESTIMATED AT 2400 TROOPS. ANCIENT ONES LEADERS
BATTLED COURAGEOUSLY. THE ANCIENT ONES HERO WAS SLAIN IN COMBAT. THE INTENSITY OF THE ANCIENT ONES
VICTORY INSPIRED THE ASSEMBLY OF VICTORIOUS TROOPS TO EARSPLITTING CRIES OF TRIUMPH AND INCREASED THEIR
MORALE!

I do have some ideas for new spells as well:

Block teleport - Allows a wizard to put up a magical barrier in one or more specific areas that prevent other wizards/groups from teleporting in. It could be a lower level spell and depending on the power level of the wizards, more squares could be protected with one cast.

Block invisibility - Same thing for invisibility.

Shroud of darkness - Covers a square (or multiple squares with high lvl wizards) with a shroud of darkness that prevents all recons.

Changes to ward/sleep to make it less black and white. Use the same formulas for dispel magic, allowing some sleeps from higher level wizards to break through wards from lower level wizards. Higher level wizards should have a better chance to get through DW resists as well.

RE: New Spells - kevindusi - 12-30-2013

(12-30-2013, 11:23 AM)Yellowbeard Wrote: I agree with re-balancing combat spells. I've seen some pretty shocking results. See below for an example.

A p7 presence, a p6 earthquake and presence, and a p3 chaos and presence. I believe a presence is a lightning attack and shield 2 lvls lower (correct me if I'm wrong), so total magic dmg is over 11000 points of dmg. Add in 3 shields and a chaos and the results are the gnome is crushed and the AN only loses 2400 troops.

The biggest problem here is that you're playing as the Gnome.

But I have to say that I agree that in group-to-group combat magic seems underwhelming. Since I'm currently not playing a magic kingdom, this is fine and dandy. I'll complain more when I next play a wizard kingdom.

Invisible emmissary - Allows an emmissary to move to a PC and reduces the chance of being spotted to 0%. (no report on the other kingdom's turn).

Invisible agent - Turns an agent invisible for one mission, giving them an X% bonus to succeed or reduce the chance to be caught by X% (not sure what a good number here would be without making it too powerful)

Thorny ground - Causes the ground in one area to grow thorns/spikes making all group movement very difficult in the square for one turn (except dragons). It raises the cost to move into the square to 15 or 20 for all non-flying/teleporting groups. Groups ending movement in this square will lose 5% morale.

Invisible PC - An illusion that can make a village/town/city (depending on casting level) "disappear" for one turn. Agents or emmissaries ordered to move to the location will return home puzzled. Groups are large enough to stumble into the PC if they enter the square.

Charm Agent/emmissary - Charms another kingdom's agent, preventing them from performing any scheduled actions for the turn. In addition, it gives the wizard's kingdom 1 piece of information for that kingdom that turn. You can specify agent, emmisary, group, or king. If the charm is successful, the wizard will learn some details about the opposing kingdoms actions that turn. For example, if King is listed, the charmed agent may report to the wizard that the king was visiting amberland this month showering gifts and making speeches (enamoring). If Agent is listed, the report may be an attempt to steal gold was made in Oakendell, and a couple recons of PCs in torvale happened this turn. The chance to succeed would be similar to the bribe emmissary chance with wizard level being used instead of agent level. Even if successful, there would still be a chance the target doesn't know the information (similar to bribe) T

It's a slow day at work, so this is what I'm doing. Smile

Shape-shift - Allows a wizard to change a small group (patrol) into wolves, allowing them to travel must faster than normal. Dragons patrols are immune. All squares except water cost 2.5 to move through for the patrol that turn. No water movement allowed.

Alarm - Allows a wizard to place an alarm on a PC, raising the chances of noticing the next emmissary/agent relocation to that PC to 100%. After reporting back to the wizard, the scouting familiar disappears. (only works once per cast). If the agent/emmy is invisible, the chance is determined by comparing the levels of the wizards casting invis emmissary and alarm.

Guardian angel - Allows a wizard to cast a spell on a friendly emmissary, agent, group leader, or fellow wizard that will protect them from the next fatal event. Unfortunately the cost of this spell is the life of the casting wizard. The casting wizard doesn't die immediately, but offers his soul to replace that of his chosen target when the time comes. Any event that would normally kill the target, will kill the casting wizard instead and the protected target will live. The spell no longer works if the original casting wizard is already dead when the fatal event happens.