Alamaze - New
Attacking and Defending - Printable Version

+- Alamaze - New (https://alamaze.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://alamaze.net/forum/forum-67.html)
+--- Forum: General Alamaze Discussion Area (https://alamaze.net/forum/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Attacking and Defending (/thread-8396.html)

Attacking and Defending - kik1661 - 04-25-2013

So my 1AN and 3AN are in the same hex with the 1TR. There are no pop centers present.

If I am reading the rules and orders correctly , Both my groups should be able to use order 110 and 120 vs the 1TR. Order 110 Notes: If
your group retreats or defends it will be unable to attack or parley a population center ( says nothing about another group ) ... while order 120 says ... Important: A group may not retreat or defend against groups and subsequently attack or parley a population center in the same turn; nor
investigate an unusual sighting. ( Again says nothing about another group encounter )

Are there any negatives to doing this other than the extra orders it burns?

Thanks to the vets for taking the time to answer questions here.

RE: Attacking and Defending - Lord Diamond - 04-25-2013

I'm not sure that I understand the question, but I'll give it a shot.

Each of your groups can attack the Troll group ONCE per turn. You can have as many battles each turn as you have enemies groups, but only one per turn.

Does that answer your question?

RE: Attacking and Defending - paway - 04-25-2013

I think I understand the question.

Can a single group BOTH attack a group and defend against that same group in the same turn? If so, would this provide a 10% bonus if the other group attacks you but also allow you to engage the other group with no bonus if the other group does not attack you?

The rules stipulate that you cannot both defend and attack a PC/investigate an unusual encounter, but it makes no stipulation about defending and attacking another group. My guess is that you cannot do this, because order #120 says "You may use this command when one of your groups is in the same area as a potentially hostile group, but you do not wish to initiate an attack."

As a corollary:

Can a single group defend against one group and attack a different group?

RE: Attacking and Defending - Lord Diamond - 04-25-2013

You can only have one military encounter with each group. If you defend, you cannot then attack them.

However, you can choose a different tactic versus each group. You can defend against some and attack others. This was proven in the test game where my groups faced 8 or 10 enemy groups. I think my Trolls started with a General and ended with a Warlord. I attacked some and defended against others.

RE: Attacking and Defending - Ry Vor - 04-25-2013

(04-25-2013, 11:31 AM)kik1661 Wrote: So my 1AN and 3AN are in the same hex with the 1TR. There are no pop centers present.

If I am reading the rules and orders correctly , Both my groups should be able to use order 110 and 120 vs the 1TR. Order 110 Notes: If
your group retreats or defends it will be unable to attack or parley a population center ( says nothing about another group ) ... while order 120 says ... Important: A group may not retreat or defend against groups and subsequently attack or parley a population center in the same turn; nor
investigate an unusual sighting. ( Again says nothing about another group encounter )

Are there any negatives to doing this other than the extra orders it burns?

Thanks to the vets for taking the time to answer questions here.

The program "shuffles" the orders, so all 110 orders will be sequenced to be processed before all 120 orders. It is random as to the sequence within the same order #, for example, random as to which #110 will occur first and which last. The program then seeks the first "match" - the same two groups involved in a battle. So in the example you give, the program will always take your matching 110 order because it finds that before the 120 order, and will resolve the 110 order and mark that those two groups (one say 1AN and one 2TR) as having combat and that is the sole combat allowed between the same two groups.

Short answer is you'd waste the #120 order as the battle will happen with the #110 order.