Alamaze - New
How to Play Alamaze - Printable Version

+- Alamaze - New (https://alamaze.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://alamaze.net/forum/forum-67.html)
+--- Forum: General Alamaze Discussion Area (https://alamaze.net/forum/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: How to Play Alamaze (/thread-15340.html)

How to Play Alamaze - Ry Vor - 05-18-2019

This will be a building thread on introducing Alamaze and how it's played.

Here is a little slideshow.  Click Slideshow, start from beginning, then just click when ready.

Thoughts?

RE: How to Play Alamaze - Draugr - 05-18-2019

Pretty cool

Thoughts

I don’t see any mention of artifacts. I know when I first started, I loved finding and learning about the different artifact. Maybe an example of exploring an encounter. Perhaps a list of all the champions that can be recruited. A shot of the champions strength chart could be good, as it would give indirectly how involved the combat system is by seeing the different phases of strengths of troops

The only shot I don’t like much is regional summary. I am not sure how someone with no understanding of the game would make much since of that. Maybe a better shot would be of a turn one maelstrom where it shows the player, region and kingdom they are playing.

RE: How to Play Alamaze - Wookie Panz - 05-18-2019

(05-18-2019, 08:09 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: This will be a building thread on introducing Alamaze and how it's played.

Here is a little slideshow.  Click Slideshow, start from beginning, then just click when ready.

Thoughts?

Ry Vor, I think this is very well done.  I do think there is so much here and so many layers to learn and chose from that it may scare away all but the hard core gamers.  Somewhere, not too far in, maybe the first 2 or three snapshots,  I would offer something to entice more novice gamers and let them know that this is a system that they can learn over time and develop. 
Obviously we know that Alamaze is not for everyone and it takes time to learn.  Maybe mention your tutorial and fairly easy duel games for beginners.  I do like what you have done, it is a fine start.

RE: How to Play Alamaze - Ry Vor - 05-19-2019

(05-18-2019, 09:20 PM)Draugr Wrote: Pretty cool

Thoughts

I don’t see any mention of artifacts.  I know when I first started, I loved finding and learning about the different artifact.  Maybe an example of exploring an encounter.   Perhaps a list of all the champions that can be recruited.   A shot of the champions strength chart could be good, as it would give indirectly how involved the combat system is by seeing the different phases of strengths of troops

The only shot I don’t like much is regional summary.  I am not sure how someone with no understanding of the game would make much since of that.  Maybe a better shot would be of a turn one maelstrom where it shows the player, region and kingdom they are playing.

Yeah, the screen shots (last two slides) in this are kind of just out there.  When in the proper format there will be voice-over to explain what we're looking at.  This is just an alpha on a long trek to try to explain Alamaze.  Ultimately, there might be 20 Youtube videos and a larger Facebook presence. 

Ideally, after some discussion on what Alamaze is, we'll talk about how to play - issue orders, etc, and go through turn results.

I am still debating the right tone, so to speak, on how to do this.  I don't want to be monotone, but I'm not an actor, either.

RE: How to Play Alamaze - Wookie Panz - 05-19-2019

(05-18-2019, 08:09 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: This will be a building thread on introducing Alamaze and how it's played.

Thoughts?

Your first page or two is the most important.  This is where you either grab someone's attention or they move on and go no further. 
How about doing something about having the ability to play either a silent game or interact with other players in a role playing way?  I think there is still an good amount of role playing players that are hard core enough to enjoy Alamaze.  The map is so nice you might consider a blow up of a region so more detail is shown.

RE: How to Play Alamaze - Wookie Panz - 02-17-2023

This thread seemed like a good start but it went quiet nearly four years ago.
Why?