Alamaze - New

Full Version: Navies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just asking - how do you view seapower, battles, navies, going forward in Alamaze?
I guess I've played about 100 Turns, I've not had a sea battle yet.
Maybe not in Alamaze, but I would love to see a more robust and involved system in future games.

I have had a couple of sea battles, but they are rare now.
(03-21-2015, 12:54 AM)Lord Diamond Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe not in Aalamaze, but I would love to see a more robust and involved system in future games.

I have had a couple of sea battles, but they are rare now.

I wish  you were able to focus your navy to defend a pop center instead of patrolling the entire sea.

That said, I have only seen a couple of naval battles since I was back.
So do people wish that sea battles be more frequent in the game? That's easy for me to do. If sea battles are too boring then have you tried the new Seapower Enhancement order (#630) to outfit your fleets with Greek Fire or Reinforced Hulls (http://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/showt...1#pid24301)? Those bonuses stack and may make sea battles more exciting and personalized to your liking. Order 630 hasn't been made official yet by Ry Vor but the current program allows it for now and your kingdom report has a special listing for those fleet enhancements (rightmost column).
This is the first I have ever read about Seapower enhancements. The link you provided was for experimental game 300. Has it gone live????

That looks like somethimg that should be in Unclemike's Corner. Or do we need a new section just for new orders that are not yet listed in the rules?

If we do indeed have the a ility to enhance our fleets, then sea battles need to be more common to make it worth doing.
"I wish you were able to focus your navy to defend a pop center instead of patrolling the entire sea."

If you sit a group at the pop center then you can defend the pop center if Sea Patrol misses.
It would be cool to be able to focus your patrols on a particular kingdom and increase your chances of catching them.
Navy improvements I would like to see.

1) Improve commerce.  Perhaps a multiplier to production due to trade.
2) Decrease commerce - blockades against population centers to hamper production 
3) Navy's blocking agent movements 
4)  Navy helping with population center battles if upgraded with siege gear. 
5)  Selected navy patrols vs set enemies.
6) New leaders (Admirals) with different hero bonuses  -  (See the total war series)
7) Random encounters that attack random sea population centers and patrols that are not prepared for an encounter (random Kracken battle).
8) Separate sea deference for population centers ie D-day
Assuming we are on the Resurgent map, I think to make navies more interesting, either the quantity or quality of naval pop centers should be improved. Additional ideas.

1) All Kingdoms have transport/trade capacity, but none start with warships except Pirates and Atlanteans.

2) Transport/trade ships do not fight.

3) Warships, when constructed, will always be sea patrolling but will only engage declared enemies.

4) Limit on the number of warships you can construct in a turn (perhaps one per three pop centers on a sea). Higher limit on number of trade/transport ships you can construct in a turn.

5) Limit on number of enemy trade/transport ships a warship can destroy in a turn (trade/transport ships have no defense against a warship).

6) Warship v. Warship fights should have significant random variables, with crew experience helping a lot.

7) Trade/transport ships can be protected on a turn by defending warships, unless the defender is badly outnumbered.

8) Engagement percentages for warship v. warship should be high, while engagement percentage for warship v. trade/transport should be medium.

9) Trade/transport ships automatically trade, boosting food and gold production at all controlled pop centers on that sea by a small percentage per ship, unless a sea move is ordered in which case all trade/transport ships are used to carry troops or act as screeners for the transported troops. Any destroyed ships are taken first from the ones that have no troops on them.

10) My suggestion is to minimize orders that interact with the naval interface, so they come into play more often. In addition, the enemy declaration bit is something that will help with both "accidental" battles with neutrals (a kind of "freedom of the sea" concept), and may also be a way to expand the use of the enemy/ally function to create via hard coding a more chivalrous, less "4 v. 1" dynamic by requiring the equivalent of a declaration of war before you can start taking certain hostile actions (e.g. group v. group and group v. pop center interactions, 320/330 (but 310/350 ok), etc.).
Pages: 1 2